Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o here is my 81 CM400 Custom build/rebuild. I bought this bike a couple years back from an old manager of mine for $200 with new tires and bat. in it. I rode it as my first bike never really took good care of it cuz it frankly sucked! to my knowledge anyway. the last few months I have been more interested in why it sucked and started tinkering away at it and have developed quite a passion for it now. I cleaned the carbs and removed the tank and redoing it due to the rust holes I had to fix and so on. after I took off the carbs to clean them I noticed my choke was sticking closed which was not allowing proper air flow and I took care of that and reinstalled the carbs on the bike... BAM! What a difference! I could only get the bike up to about 55 max and it was bogging out... It RIPS now. So here is my progress on the build please leave comments and or any advice.

P.S. I am looking to pick up a 2 to 1 exhaust system and have been very unsuccessful so far. Any tips?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am now finishing up my new tank shape. I wanted to use the original tank shape but change the look a bit to look just a bit different. I am removing the outer lip that is surrounding the tank by using a little body filler. I am also taking out a curved rise that the top of the cm 400 c tank has and making it more rounded. I had some rust issues and a couple holes were in the bottom edges of the tank which I filled with solder and are now leak/gas proof. (I tested before I put the body filler on)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New headlight rear turn sigs and grips on the way. Now I just have to hide the wires. I am also going to be relocating my ignition, removing any unneeded gauges/interfaces, aribox is going bye bye and putting some cones for filters. new mirrors and seat work to come.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With a new headlight on the way to replace my old cracked one I decided to take the old one off and what do I find! A mess of wires stashed in the HL housing... So after work I decided to take on the argues task of redoing my elec system and removing all the ugly ass pigtails and clean the wires up a bit. So at about 2am I was finally done... pretty exhausted at work today haha but I didn't want to forget to connect a wire or do one wrong if I waited to finish this afternoon. I also removed the ugly instrument panel to clean it up a bit. I wired all the ignition wires to be down by the carbs now and have yet to decide where I am going to mount it. here is some pics of progress and a before and after.

·
i dont like taxis
380 Posts
Got any updates? I'm working on doing the same on my 81 CM400c as well, waiting for winter to come so i have some time to do it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I do...

I have updates on it just not much. Just went through a move and haven't had much time to work on the bike. Aslo I am still looking for a garage to rent out to work on it till I move to AZ in Feb. I Will post some more pics soon.

I mounted the new headlight tail light and rear turns. I also kinda found a spot where I may want the ignition to go but not entirely sure yet. Thanks for the interest. Look forward to seeing your build once you get going on it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So the new idea in my head is to make a little home-brew powder coating rig. I am a big DIY-selfer kinda person and love to save money and learn how to do something new.
"why pay someone else for something you can do yourself with a little effort."

With inspiration from a project I found By ZapWizard I think I am going to make an attempt.

Link is here if you are interested.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zapwizard/167955008/in/set-72157594167019934/

Wanted an excuse to buy a media blaster setup any way lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay so here are a couple shots of the old grips and controls... I will put the new pick up soon with a pic of the new headlight as well. Cheers!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope just some rustoleum rattle primer... still wet lol. the adheasion is poor and I feel any paint I put on the controls is subject to rub off. so I will strip them again and powder coat them as well as the tank and fenders. looking on craigslist for a compressor and still looking for a good garage to rent

·
I know you are ... but what am I?
650 Posts
It'll come, 2010lovetoride, it'll come ...

We never built a bike but brought a few Mustangs from rag-a-muffin to showroom ... I was always so frustrated with all the work - all the panels that needed completely replacing or swap meet dealing to find the right trim or part, seemed like you just can't see it coming together, then one day (when you're peeling all the tape off) - you're like: seems like just yesterday! and (me) teary eyed when you had found a new owner.

First Honda I double headed w/ my husband was CM450, and he rode that bugger all year long (SC winters ... yea, right:)) and even to FL and back on jobs. Tool box in a milk crate strapped to the luggage rack.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WHOOT!!! Finally! Found a garage to start up some work again. Cold weather is bumming me out with no riding but it's only 3 more months till I am in AZ so it won't be too bad. Maybe ill finally get my tank done in the next few weeks :)

Cie: Yes it will all come together... I like working on this lil old bike because its making something out of nothing really. Anyone can make a nice shiny new bike look more shiny with some bolt on parts but it is art when you take an old tarnished slightly beat up bike and make it shine. That is my joy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts