Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tail bone is sore and it hurts to sit down everywhere and I think it is because I sit on my scooter everyday and sometimes for hours. Does anyone else that rides a lot experience this? I am hoping a real motorcycle is more comfortable. Is it okay to travel far a lot on a CBR300 because that is what I want. I am having way too many problems with my Chinese scooter though.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I had that feeling when I was walking on a wet guardrail and slipped. It went right between the legs. Luckily, I managed to land on my tailbone instead of something more important.

I've also gotten it from sitting too long in a very hard chair, but that took weeks of all day sitting.

Never gotten it from my bike though. I doubt you'll have problems like that on a motorcycle. Even if the seat is rock hard, you'll be pitched forward far enough on the CBR that your weight should be off the tailbone.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Have a look at the seat on your scoot. If it is not comfortable it will end up causing you lots of grief. Also check the support on that bike you are looking at. There is no difference between a motorcycle and a scooter per se as far as seat comfort is concerned. Each and every seat must speak for itself. I have a very comfortable seat because I refuse to ride a bike that does not have one, not because it is a motorcycle.

·
Registered
257 Posts
A comfortable seat and a riding position that fits you should be at the top of your list when deciding whether or not you'll be happy with a bike or not. If you're uncomfortable or on a seat that causes you pain nothing else really matters.

·
8,606 Posts
Almost all of us have had seats on scooters and motorcycles that were terrible after a certain time sitting in the saddle and this comes with the territory.

Of all the scooters I've had, the 650 Burgman's have been the most comfortable, rivaling 90% of the motorcycle seats that I've plopped my overly large and ripe peach on:biggrin:

In order of comfort, My past Harley Electra Glide was the best, followed closely by my Goldwing's. The BMW K1200LTC I had was a superb bike but the seat wasn't near as good as the others. To this day, your top of the line BMW motorcycle may not be comfortable at all but BMW has the audacity to offer "The comfort seat," as an option in their catalog!;) I don't know but I think a $20,000 plus bike should already come with the Comfort seat myself.

No, the CBR 300 will numb your Butt in short order:biggrin: It's a miniature bike with a miniature seat.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I have problems with my tailbone also after riding on a Rebel. I find that if I have the handlebars where I lean just a bit forward it takes some of the weight off of the tailbone. I also have my seats redone for lots of cush for my tush :) You should be better with the CBR300.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
I find my butt does get sore after riding the V-Max all day, but with the Honda Shadow I had, I could go all day with no soreness when I was finished with the ride. I will be looking at options to make my seat a bit more comfy for me.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
I don't know why the manufactures don't put better seats on the bikes they make, it seems the aftermarket is always the way to go for a long term comfortable ride.
cjsleme, I'd recommend test rides if you can or at least going to a dealership and sitting on a few bikes to see what fits you best. Either that or be content with what you get I guess.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't know why the manufactures don't put better seats on the bikes they make, it seems the aftermarket is always the way to go for a long term comfortable ride.
cjsleme, I'd recommend test rides if you can or at least going to a dealership and sitting on a few bikes to see what fits you best. Either that or be content with what you get I guess.
It is one area to save on material cost.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
It is one area to save on material cost.
Yep, and you just can't please everyone. So why try when most go for yet another kind anyway? They do get it right for some. And then what about second/third owners. Someone is going to like what they offer. But I do wish they sold them with "your choice of seat" option, no additional charge. Harley come close but do charge additional. That just shouldn't be. Especially on a $20K+ machine.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Manufacturers install showroom seats to sell bikes. They feel right when you sit on the bike in the showroom but real life riding is not so good.

My Vision had a soft seat but it was too soft for long distance rides so I took it apart and installed firmer foam two months after I bought the bike.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The worst stock seat I've ever had on a bike was my new 1976 Goldwing - VERY uncomfortable for more than a few miles. My stock VTX seat was a close second. The best stock seat I have ever had was my 1983 Yamaha Venture. It was always comfortable, short or long rides, one or two people on board.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts