Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
Black, I suspect that your friends speedo is more off than yours. If your bike is bone stock (no aftermarket ignition, jets, smaller rear sprocket, ect) then the top speed will be 100. I know, I have reached it twice on my bike.

As to the engine not performing like a Magna, well, thats true to a degree. Remember one thing, the Magna has two more cylinders and it's a DOHC engine. Yes, it CAN be made to make some real power, and it can be made to make that power and still have the same reliability. (Japanese bikes are built to be durable)

With just a free flowing exhause, different or modded intake box and K&N filter, and rejetting, you can get 60hp measured at the rear wheel from the 750 Shadow. Stock on my bike would be under 40 at the crank. With aftermarket pistons, rods, and cams, I might get another 20hp. (mind you, at this point, it might be worth considering adapting a bit bigger radiator to the bike to handle the increased heat associated with more power)

NONE of these will increase the top speed of the bike unless I install an aftermarket ignition system to bump the rev limiter up, or re-gear it with a smaller rear sprocket, a bigger front, or a combination of the two.

As it was stated by someone, then it becomes a question of whether or not the rest of the bike can handle the increased power. I feel the frame can handle it, but I would need to upgrade the suspension and brakes. I also recommend that you make sure that the bike is as comfortable as possible for you if your doing any extended riding past 70mpr. My bike is almost there comfortwise.

Lastly, unless you REALLY love the Shadow 750, I would recommend a bigger bike. Myself, I would love a bigger bike, but if I do get one, I will STILL keep the 750. It's just too much fun of a bike for me to get rid of.

·
Registered
82 Posts
A friend of mine has an 06 shadow aero 750. He is really disappointed in it. It has the jet kit and cobra pipes. Nothing else. He had it up to 100 but said it took a very long time to get there. He said it gets up to 80 fairly easy but after that it is slow to gain speed and he wants something else. He is 5'9" and 180 lbs.

Personally I dont understand why people want to go that fast. As long as I have enough power to pass a car on the highway if I need to and take a passenger on the hwy. that is all I need.

To me it is about enjoying the ride. That is why I ride a cruiser. I just bought an 09 vulcan 900 and I think it is gonna have plenty of power for me.

rick

·
Veryfried
1,451 Posts
tbh bud if your bike isn't safe at 100 bin it off, personally i want a bike that is safe at any speeds, whether i choose to go fast or not i still want to feel the bike can handle it.
100 isn't fast unless you hit something doing 0.
jeez you can get 125's that will top that!

now i understand a lot of you guys like plodding along on your motorised armchairs at a snails pace, just saying if you want to get a move on, get a bike that's built for it, can handle it, with brakes & steering geometry meant for that kind of riding.

(waits for flames from the phut phut boys lol)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chain drive 750 2006 Honda Shadow

I have a 750 Honda Shadow and recently replaced the chain with top end model. At speeds of 70 mph I get a strong burn oil smell but no sign of smoke or oil usage. I can go 70 in 4th gear but does not smell until I reach that certain speed. So again it is not related to the rpm's but more so to the speed of the wheels turning. Has anyone experienced this before?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello.
I know this is an old post so it may be no one reads this. In short: Its Rev limited and thus, your speed is limited. However, if you can get up to speed without as many RPMs then yes you can exceed the 100mph speedometer.

I recently got into bikes and rebuilt a 2002 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750DC. My speedometer only goes to 100mph and there is a rev limiter on RPM. So depending on when you shift you can definitely go beyond the 100mph. I recently rode with my wife on the back and we total over 300lbs. Im 6ft1inch and 211lbs. I had no trouble getting it up to 90mph with us both on it on a long country road and no one around. I had more throttle left to squeeze but didn't want to push it. Now when I rebuilt the carb I threw in stage 3 jets. These did not require redoing anything else. The OEM airbox makes a suction and is required for th ebike to function properly so don't throw some aftermarket airbox on because it will cause the higher end of your gears to bogg down due to too much airflow. SO FYI on that.

Anyways. The bike handles fine and it can take those speeds. If you ride with no gloves and anything less than a full faced helmet then yeah, your going to feel vibration because the engine is running at higher RPM and the bumps in the road are getting hit faster. However the bike being 15 years old holds up fine. It comes down to how well maintained your bike is, how well you can handle it and what you can modify to get what you want safely. Everything else you cant control such as the actual limitations of the bike to operate at higher speeds safely, other drivers, wildlife and road conditions.

To my knowledge, the rev limiter is mechanically set and although it is possible to remove it im sure, I wouldn't want to take the trouble to do that on a cruiser. PLus it protects the engine from getting over reved. Removing limiters is for the track not the road. I wont preach or shame you for wanting to be able to once in a while. I know I have. I only recommend you do it on a long stretch of road out of town during the day and little to no traffic so the only person you kill is you. To be fair, a wreck at 80mp will probably kill you just as easily as at 120mph. I hope I have helped to answer some of your questions.

·
Registered
347 Posts
On a remote road in CO, I recently got my 750 up to 100 for just a moment. I wanted to do it once. It took a while but the bike felt totally fine doing it but it didn't anything left in the throttle. I don't have any desire to do that much, I really enjoy cruising at moderate speeds (40-50) and taking in the scenery.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you have a bike in this category, mid-size cruiser, then remember its a cruiser, cruise on it. The Shadow has a 750 cc vee twin, you're not going to stay with your sports bike mates on it or any other mid-size cruiser. Mid-size cruisers' frame and suspension aren't designed for canyon running with the Ducatis and the Aprilias.

Ride like a cruiser and smell the roses, or the freshly cut grass and the newly fallen rain.

When I rode one, I found the Honda Shadow 750 was a little heavier and slower than my Boulevard M50 (800 cc), and I once got the M50 up to 163 km/hr (101.875 mph) before I had to consider the upcoming corner, so I imagine the Shadow will touch 100 mph. But I'd do it only once then forget about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I am looking at a 2005 Aero 750 and the sound of all this ass numbing stuff is worrying me on the highway I think it is safe to stay the going speed not passing or driving with the fast cagers but the going speed is usually over 70 mph I have no problem going slower I am in it for the ride but some times you could get run over going too slow is it really that uncomfortable? could it be tire quality or something else maybe road being rough or is it the bike just vibrates because it is revving faster than it likes I dont have a bike yet but am real close to purchasing one and dont want to make a mistake a numb a** gets old. I plan on being on my bike a lot mostly joy riding (sightseeing) but need to use the hiway to get where I want and as far as the op this is definetly wrong bike for racing with or without skill ITS A CRUISER PERIOD !!
I have a 205 Aero and it rides comfortably at 70mph.. I weigh 270 and my wife goes about 200.. With both of us on it we still maintain 70 on the interstate and never have a problem.. Most of the time I stay around 60 and fuel mileage is 55mpg.. at 70 it drops to about 45mpg...

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Many years ago I owned a Honda 700 Shadow. Beautiful bike, and at the time I thought that this bike was exactly what a "perfect" motorcycle looked like. I could ride at highway speeds, but it was working really hard, and that strain worked its way into my arms and shoulders as I was trying to encourage the bike to keep up with the speed. When two up the bike REALLY had to work to stay safely with traffic on the Interstate, and it sure had nothing left in reserve if I had a need to accelerate. It was for that reason I moved up to an 1100 cc Shadow, and then finally bought a bike that had some real get up and go, a Kawasaki Concours. Now I feel I have the best of both worlds with my 1832cc Goldwing. I think the Honda Aero 750 is a great looking bike, but personally think it is far too underpowered for me and the type of riding that I like to do.

·
Banned
6 Posts
I have cbr125 and satisfaction is not very handy in terms of speed and speed in a very good engine. I'm thinking of buying a new engine, but I still have not decided.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, my 02 Honda Shadow spirit VT750DC speedo tops at 100mph. I got it for $300 looking like new but needed love. Once i got it running and safe i took the course, got a license and 5yrs later I'm here with no wrecks. With that said ill say this. Witch im sure ill get a lot of "For shame" responses.

I got my Shadow up to the max the speedo had which was 100MPH and it kept going but i stopped at what i suspect was 105mph'ish.

It was after i first got it running perfect and got my license. I went to a long stretch of back country road, scoped it for cops then turned around and gunned it to see what it could do. I felt the limiter on every gear it seems. Vibration was at a min. I had fresh tires i did myself. Balanced good and very few add ons. I had no issues. No sense of falling apart or blowing up. I did have the baffles removed and during my restore of the carb i put stage 3 jets in. Or thats what it was called in the listing on Amazon. I tried to find it again but its gone. So i can't tell you the sizing without pulling the carb.

I did this one time and haven't really since. However i took a trip from San Antonio to Lake Dallas and back. I took I35 South on the way back and discovered that i was being passed at 85mph. So to stay with the flow from Dallas to Austin i was at about 90mph. This was from 10pm to 2am hours though. I left late. I took a 2x4 to the right foot. My highway bar saved me. It flung from a passing semi that passed me then hit something on the road and shot it at me. Luckily i was maybe 4 car lengths behind. I dodged the full on hit but my right foot got whacked and boy did it hurt. Nothing broken. Boot latch was scratched up bad.

I finished my trip and learned a few things. I35 is a death trap if your too slow. Car or bike. People zipped passed me without a care.

Another thing I learned was that an 02 Shadow 750 can handle 90mph no problem and if everything is as it should, shouldn't vibrate like crazy. But it will numb your hands so get grip puppies or something.

What else? Oh, a cruiser especially with forward controls is nowhere near sport bike level as far as turns. You will scrape the foot pegs trying so dont try to keep up with them.

Now we all get why you want to be able to go faster. Its like anyone with a sports car. You like showing off and having that 165mph limit or whatever. But honestly, with traffic and what not, how often on a road does a Ferrari or Corvette get above 110mph before traffic brings them to a standstill? Yet its still nice having that power. Its a primal desire to be better.

But at the end of the day, if you want to go faster, get a bike made for it and hit the track. I wont jump on you for gunning it once in a while but if your lane splitting, pulling a The Matrix Reloaded scene like Trinity, well your going to get killed and possibly someone else.

But lets give you the benefit and just assume you are just asking because like me, you want to know what you can do to make it better even if you probably wont use it.

Changing the sprocket size can get you more low end torque but a lower top speed if I understand correctly. However factory setting is fine for me.

Most of the time manufacturers specs and settings are best for economy and can be tuned for performance. But what i have learned also is that they leave room for error.

If max tire pressure is say 33psi, really you could go 40psi and be fine. But it may make your ride rougher and bouncier.

If the bike listed top speed is 100mph. Its probably really 110mph.

Like most things made and sold in bulk, they are tested to the limit and then recomended way below that for safety and liability.

Now these are just my thoughts, i won't pretend I'm an expert. And again, i would NOT recomend trying a Matrix scene on your cruiser or any bike really. Hit the track if you want speed.

Here in Texas I10 hits 85MPH and most drivers are doing 95mph. I have ridden my shadow and my 1975 CB550F on that road and I can tell you. If you cant do at least 90mph, some guy in a Ford Truck will damned near run you over trying to pass you. Lol 🤣

21 - 31 of 31 Posts