Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks...I was wondering if any of you very knowledgable types could chime in...

What is the potential top speed for my 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 Spirit? Most of my buddies ride sportbikes and although I understand that there's no match when it comes to raw performance, it would be nice to know what my potential is as far as keeping up on the highway. I still haven't been able to ride since my accident in early February (mostly due to the fact that gas tanks for these in decent condition are tough to come by for a decent price). Because of that, I'd like to know if there are any last minute upgrades that could potentially squeeze a little more juice out of my bike. Thanks a lot!

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
You'll easily maintain legal speed. Shouldn't that be enough? I'd imagine you'd be able to top 100 MPH. But heck, even a Ninja 250 will top that.

A little advice: don't attempt to "keep up" with your sport bike buddies. Riding like that, whatever your bike, can get you killed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, I would imagine that I could, but I just want to make sure that I can top 100. As long as I can acheive 100, I'm happy lol. I'm not going to try to keep up with them on the corners or anything...I just want to keep up with them speed-wise cruising the highways...

·
Underpaid
1,708 Posts
I ride a 2005 shadow spirit 750 chain drive. No mods other than a memphis shades windshield (malibu model). I'm 6'1" 290 lbs. I've taken it up to 105 and still had more before I chickened out. (it's not built for that kind of speed even though it can do it)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is that 105 on the speedo or clocked? My speedo only goes up to 100...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm not the self-righteous type, but these kinds of posts really bother me.

First, that bike should not be pushed to 100 mph. You are overtaxing the drive train at that speed. The bike is just not made for that kind of riding. Even assuming you stay upright, you'll kill the bike in short order if you do that for more than an occasional burst.

Second, even apart from the drive train, the design of the bike is not meant for the kind of riding a sport bike is made for. Leaning thru turns on 750 Shadow with any aggressiveness at all will soon get you in trouble.

But most importantly, no one should be riding at those kinds of speeds except on a race track. Sure, an occasional bit of fun on an isolated road, fine. But blasting around on highways in a group with screaming sport bikes is not only dangerous as hell (I couldn't care less), it gives all of us a bad name. And it's just plain dumb.

Sorry. Nothing personal and I was a kid once, too. But it needed to be said.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm not the self-righteous type, but these kinds of posts really bother me.

First, that bike should not be pushed to 100 mph. You are overtaxing the drive train at that speed. The bike is just not made for that kind of riding. Even assuming you stay upright, you'll kill the bike in short order if you do that for more than an occasional burst.

Second, even apart from the drive train, the design of the bike is not meant for the kind of riding a sport bike is made for. Leaning thru turns on 750 Shadow with any aggressiveness at all will soon get you in trouble.

But most importantly, no one should be riding at those kinds of speeds except on a race track. Sure, an occasional bit of fun on an isolated road, fine. But blasting around on highways in a group with screaming sport bikes is not only dangerous as hell (I couldn't care less), it gives all of us a bad name. And it's just plain dumb.

Sorry. Nothing personal and I was a kid once, too. But it needed to be said.
JMARK - You beat me to it. I couldn't have said it better.

·
446 Posts
I've added the kuryakin (sp?) hypercharger , straight drag pipes and rejetted my 01' 750 ACE. It has better get-up-and-go, but doesn't do much for the top end. Like has already been said, this bike just isn't intended or geared for high speeds like a sport bike.
That being said, I also would have to agree with jmark %100....nothing personal, but i get really irked by the squid mentality of ot-dogging it on public roadways....just sayin...:)

·
Underpaid
1,708 Posts
This was (except for someone else) a deserted expressway on a huge straightaway for a short period of time. It wasn't sustained at that speed for more than a short distance, and I wasn't going through turns that fast with a cruiser. If you are assuming that I don't understand that, you are incorrect. Also, going 20 miles an hour faster than cruising speed on the highway isn't going to make the bike instantly explode, even if it does tax it.

That being said, it's not what the bike is made to do. Adding aftermarket stuff to the bike for more power might give you more low-end torque but it's not going to make a shadow perform like a magna. It's just a different machine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Sprit 750, and even though it will go highway speeds, its not made for crusing at that speed. The vibration of the bike at 70mph will make your hand go numb after a 40 minute ride. If you want to go faster, you need a bigger bike. I have never pushed my Shadow to 100mph and I wouldn't suggest it either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Sprit 750, and even though it will go highway speeds, its not made for crusing at that speed. The vibration of the bike at 70mph will make your hand go numb after a 40 minute ride. If you want to go faster, you need a bigger bike. I have never pushed my Shadow to 100mph and I wouldn't suggest it either.
You are absolutely right. I rode my 03 750 ACE to an event last week, about 70 miles from home. I was running late and maintained 80 mph for most of the trip there. The bike was NOT happy when it slowed down. My fingers were numb, my ass hurt, and the bike acted like it had carb problems for the first mile or so off of the interstate. Also the fuel economy sucked at that speed. I love my bike, so I made the return trip on a state road at 60 mph, which took a bit longer, but I got 55 mpg, rode comfortably, didnt endanger myself, and didnt risk hurting the bike. Keep it under 70!

·
Ninja Robot
1,829 Posts
Hey yall,

My name's Hendrix and I'm brand new to riding motorcycles. I've only been riding for a couple of months. I took a safety course, then bought my first bike (a Honda Shadow 750) and started to ride. Unfortunately, on Feb. 6, I laid the bike down trying to take a curve. I high-sided, fell on the ground, and slid into a fence breaking my foot in seven places, causing a hairline fracture in my lower leg, and some nasty road rash on both of my arms. My bike got banged up too...I dented the crap out of the fuel tank, snapped the clutch lever bracket, twisted the shifter lever, dented the headlight pretty good, and gouged up my rear fender. My foot is actually still healing and I just came back to work this week.
:
This is not the type of post I would normally leave but I feel this situation calls for it. You haven't got back to riding since the last time you crashed because you were going to fast, so why are you already wanting to see how fast you can go? Slow down and enjoy the ride and your life. If your friends want to fly down the highway at dangerous speeds let them just tell them you will catch up later.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Sorry to see Mr. Hendrix was riding the wrong way on the wrong bike. He should have had a Ninja 500 or 650R, but probably still would have biffed it. He hasn't developed the skills and thought process for aggressive relatively safe street riding. He has learned about "run off room", of which there is usually plenty at the roadraces he gets all wound up watching; and very little on those winding byways he "races" down... quite literally down. A painful lesson. Most of us older riders don't ride 100% when out sport riding for one real good reason... We know we have to go to work Monday. That's why most of us use the oft written about method - The Pace". Fun aggressive riding does not have to be on the ragged edge terror. It's about the interactive nature of riding, the rhythm and movement.

On the other hand for those who think that 750 Shadow drive line can't take 100 mph, virtually any Japanese motorcycle engine can be run easily within 880% of it's redline all day long. That Shadow engine and driveline can easliy tolerate 100 mph continuous. Same engineering went into it as went into all Hondas. Similar drivelines have been used in the various adventure bikes like the TransAlp and Africa twin, and that early 750 Shadow chain drive was a decendent of the Honda VLX600 Shadow AND NT650 Hawk GT, which was roadraced successfully in Battle of the Twins in 1989 or so by and started off the business for Two Brothers racing.

Interesting finding out virtually all Japanese engines have high performance design and are understressed when stock. Now I wouldn't say that for the frame geometry, ground clearance, and general ride position. The bike isn't intended to run 100 mph in spite of engine capability to do so.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Years ago I had a Honda '87 Shadow 700. It took me on several cross country trips to bike rallys, and was my commuter bike as well. I rarely took it over 75 mph and it did great. I ended up selling it to get a faster bike, but sometimes I miss that little cruiser. The key is to buy the right bike for the kind of riding that you want to do. There once was a time when most bikes were made to do it all, even if not particularly well at any one thing. But today there are very few "standards" around. If I wanted to ride with others who had sportbikes, I'd buy myself a sportbike. A good, used 600cc bike will let you keep up with the fastest in the bunch and not set you back a fortune.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You are absolutely right. I rode my 03 750 ACE to an event last week, about 70 miles from home. I was running late and maintained 80 mph for most of the trip there. The bike was NOT happy when it slowed down. My fingers were numb, my ass hurt, and the bike acted like it had carb problems for the first mile or so off of the interstate. Also the fuel economy sucked at that speed. I love my bike, so I made the return trip on a state road at 60 mph, which took a bit longer, but I got 55 mpg, rode comfortably, didnt endanger myself, and didnt risk hurting the bike. Keep it under 70!
Hey guys I am looking at a 2005 Aero 750 and the sound of all this ass numbing stuff is worrying me on the highway I think it is safe to stay the going speed not passing or driving with the fast cagers but the going speed is usually over 70 mph I have no problem going slower I am in it for the ride but some times you could get run over going too slow is it really that uncomfortable? could it be tire quality or something else maybe road being rough or is it the bike just vibrates because it is revving faster than it likes I dont have a bike yet but am real close to purchasing one and dont want to make a mistake a numb a** gets old. I plan on being on my bike a lot mostly joy riding (sightseeing) but need to use the hiway to get where I want and as far as the op this is definetly wrong bike for racing with or without skill ITS A CRUISER PERIOD !!

·
Ninja Robot
1,829 Posts
If you ride any bike long enough your ass will go numb. I think what they are talking about is more along the lines of the ability of the drive line to handle sustained high speeds. You should be fine at 70+ speeds, just don't think it will run forever at wide open throttle.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts