Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was living in Vermont when I bought this 1978 Honda CB400 for $650. It ran OK, I road it home - barely. It needed a battery. Over the years, I put on Mikunis, tweaked the gear ratio to be quicker off the start, replaced the dash with a new speedo, replaced the right and left hand controls, chopped the fenders and replaced all of the lights. I also fixed the tear in the seat shown in the after photo below.

I've owned a lot of bikes, but no matter what I do to it, she always runs strong and has never left me stranded.

·
American Legion Rider
25,957 Posts
Nice! Make me nostalgic, and also wonder for the umpteenth time why today's manufacturers don't realize that EVERY bike needs a center stand...
They save $3.50 on every bike by not having them and force you to spend $35.00 to put one on yourself. It’s called greed.

Reactions: -Nate

·
Short Fuse
690 Posts
Nice! Make me nostalgic, and also wonder for the umpteenth time why today's manufacturers don't realize that EVERY bike needs a center stand...
I read on a motorcycle magazine website that they did away with them for the weight saved and the ground clearance - especially for sports bikes.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I read on a motorcycle magazine website that they did away with them for the weight saved and the ground clearance - especially for sports bikes.
When the only consideration is speed, this makes sense; otherwise, it's just a pain in the posterior. I'd pay $200 today for a center stand designed for my Z650, and aluminum or carbon fiber or some such would make it feathery light.

·
Short Fuse
690 Posts
When the only consideration is speed, this makes sense; otherwise, it's just a pain in the posterior. I'd pay $200 today for a center stand designed for my Z650, and aluminum or carbon fiber or some such would make it feathery light.
Yeah. I would like to put one on my Aprilia, but at around $400+ US, I found a set of paddock stands was a way lot cheaper.

Edit: Just did a search - seems there are plenty of centre stands out there for the Z650.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Edit: Just did a search - seems there are plenty of centre stands out there for the Z650.
Oh, would that it were so -- and please point me in the right direction if it is! When I have many times Googled for such a beast, I find a few that claim to be for the Z650, but most of them are for the late-'70's KZ650, or are paddock stands. I have a pair of those in the shed, and they're great for getting front, rear, or both ends up in the air, but what I want is the on-bike, foldaway center stand that every two-wheeler had once upon a time. Strapping one on the back severely limits my luggage-carrying capacity!;):D

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yeah, I have a jack and paddock stands. I am just yearning for the good ol' days when you could stop by the side of the road and do stuff like adjusting or lubing a chain, or examine a tire without rolling it forward a few inches, looking, rolling it up another few inches, looking, etc., etc. Or, say, strapping a load on to the back with the bike standing up straight and not canted over to the left. No center stand plus a 400+ pound bike, and I, personally, ain't gonna be able to singlehandedly balance it up on a rock like a trail bike. And as for my 600-or-so-pound Suzuki C50 -- oy!

·
Visionary
5,259 Posts
Nice! Good to see these old Hondas still on the road, they are great bikes!
We occasionally get the funniest looks when my wife walks up to her 1800cc Indian and I get on the little Honda :)

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,481 Posts
Nice! Good to see these old Hondas still on the road, they are great bikes!
We occasionally get the funniest looks when my wife walks up to her 1800cc Indian and I get on the little Honda :)
View attachment 68401

They probably think it's nice of that lady to let her 'special' friend tag along🤭

·
Visionary
5,259 Posts
They probably think it's nice of that lady to let her 'special' friend tag along🤭
Exactly, I'm VERY special :)
I know I look like a circus bear on a tricycle on that thing but I don't care, it's so much fun to ride!

·
American Legion Rider
25,957 Posts
Exactly, I'm VERY special :)
I know I look like a circus bear on a tricycle on that thing but I don't care, it's so much fun to ride!
Who cares what the dip-turds think. If they really had a life they would know.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,513 Posts
Mike, if you would quit wearing that collar and chain maybe you wouldn't look like a circus bear.

Reactions: -Nate and mike721

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was living in Vermont when I bought this 1978 Honda CB400 for $650. It ran OK, I road it home - barely. It needed a battery. Over the years, I put on Mikunis, tweaked the gear ratio to be quicker off the start, replaced the dash with a new speedo, replaced the right and left hand controls, chopped the fenders and replaced all of the lights. I also fixed the tear in the seat shown in the after photo below.

I've owned a lot of bikes, but no matter what I do to it, she always runs strong and has never left me stranded. View attachment 68244
Nice

·
Registered
2 Posts
This site requires you introduce yourself as one of your first few posts so people know you are serious and not a hit and run type poster. Introductions found here ... https://www.motorcycleforum.com/forums/new-member-introductions.305/

I've owned a lot of bikes, but no matter what I do to it, she always runs strong and has never left me stranded. View attachment 68244
When I first started reading your post I pictured a mid seventies Honda CB400F four cylinder. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that what you have is a Honda Hawk. This is perhaps that had the biggest impact on me as my older brother bought a new 1978 Honda Hawk. 5 years later I bought my own 1983 Honda Nighthawk and have been ridding ever since. Thanks for posting.~GeneralT

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
65 Posts
Old air cooled Hondas all have the ability to be run WFO in top gear as long as you like without causing damage .

I have used this on many smaller Hondas to tour long distances, yes I suppose it's foolish but I like light bikes (broken back, plates in neck and arms, yadda, yadda yadda) and sight seeing .

There's a time and place for speed, I like that too but simply enjoying the ride is #1 .

·
Visionary
5,259 Posts
Old air cooled Hondas all have the ability to be run WFO in top gear as long as you like without causing damage .

I have used this on many smaller Hondas to tour long distances, yes I suppose it's foolish but I like light bikes (broken back, plates in neck and arms, yadda, yadda yadda) and sight seeing .

There's a time and place for speed, I like that too but simply enjoying the ride is #1 .
Yeah, I've done a couple of interstate runs out of curiosity and the little 400 hawk has no problem going 80 mph, up and down mountains, until it runs out of road or gas, whichever happens first.
The mileage sucks at that speed though, I go from abotu 50 to about 36, but that's not unexpected.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The only reason I like a center stand is because it allows you to sit and relax on the bike. I see people sit on big cruisers while they're on the kickstand, but on the small aluminum frame bikes it seems like you could easily break the kickstand mounting point doing that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts