Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was living in Vermont when I bought this 1978 Honda CB400 for $650. It ran OK, I road it home - barely. It needed a battery. Over the years, I put on Mikunis, tweaked the gear ratio to be quicker off the start, replaced the dash with a new speedo, replaced the right and left hand controls, chopped the fenders and replaced all of the lights. I also fixed the tear in the seat shown in the after photo below.

I've owned a lot of bikes, but no matter what I do to it, she always runs strong and has never left me stranded.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Nice! Make me nostalgic, and also wonder for the umpteenth time why today's manufacturers don't realize that EVERY bike needs a center stand...

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,729 Posts
Nice! Make me nostalgic, and also wonder for the umpteenth time why today's manufacturers don't realize that EVERY bike needs a center stand...
They save $3.50 on every bike by not having them and force you to spend $35.00 to put one on yourself. It’s called greed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I read on a motorcycle magazine website that they did away with them for the weight saved and the ground clearance - especially for sports bikes.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I read on a motorcycle magazine website that they did away with them for the weight saved and the ground clearance - especially for sports bikes.
When the only consideration is speed, this makes sense; otherwise, it's just a pain in the posterior. I'd pay $200 today for a center stand designed for my Z650, and aluminum or carbon fiber or some such would make it feathery light.

·
Registered
97 Posts
When the only consideration is speed, this makes sense; otherwise, it's just a pain in the posterior. I'd pay $200 today for a center stand designed for my Z650, and aluminum or carbon fiber or some such would make it feathery light.
Yeah. I would like to put one on my Aprilia, but at around $400+ US, I found a set of paddock stands was a way lot cheaper.

Edit: Just did a search - seems there are plenty of centre stands out there for the Z650.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Edit: Just did a search - seems there are plenty of centre stands out there for the Z650.
Oh, would that it were so -- and please point me in the right direction if it is! When I have many times Googled for such a beast, I find a few that claim to be for the Z650, but most of them are for the late-'70's KZ650, or are paddock stands. I have a pair of those in the shed, and they're great for getting front, rear, or both ends up in the air, but what I want is the on-bike, foldaway center stand that every two-wheeler had once upon a time. Strapping one on the back severely limits my luggage-carrying capacity!;):D

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yeah, I have a jack and paddock stands. I am just yearning for the good ol' days when you could stop by the side of the road and do stuff like adjusting or lubing a chain, or examine a tire without rolling it forward a few inches, looking, rolling it up another few inches, looking, etc., etc. Or, say, strapping a load on to the back with the bike standing up straight and not canted over to the left. No center stand plus a 400+ pound bike, and I, personally, ain't gonna be able to singlehandedly balance it up on a rock like a trail bike. And as for my 600-or-so-pound Suzuki C50 -- oy!

·
Visionary
4,961 Posts
Nice! Good to see these old Hondas still on the road, they are great bikes!
We occasionally get the funniest looks when my wife walks up to her 1800cc Indian and I get on the little Honda :)

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,121 Posts
Nice! Good to see these old Hondas still on the road, they are great bikes!
We occasionally get the funniest looks when my wife walks up to her 1800cc Indian and I get on the little Honda :)
View attachment 68401

They probably think it's nice of that lady to let her 'special' friend tag along🤭

·
Visionary
4,961 Posts
They probably think it's nice of that lady to let her 'special' friend tag along🤭
Exactly, I'm VERY special :)
I know I look like a circus bear on a tricycle on that thing but I don't care, it's so much fun to ride!

Reactions: CRracer712

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,729 Posts
Exactly, I'm VERY special :)
I know I look like a circus bear on a tricycle on that thing but I don't care, it's so much fun to ride!
Who cares what the dip-turds think. If they really had a life they would know.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,880 Posts
Mike, if you would quit wearing that collar and chain maybe you wouldn't look like a circus bear.

Reactions: mike721
1 - 15 of 15 Posts