Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow members! I'm a noobie so please don't judge. Okay well to start off I've been saving for about 3 years and I finally got the bike of my dreams which was the 2009 Harley Davidson Nighster.
I turned the key to the ignition ON and everything turned on from the lights to the taillights and I could actually start it. Now today in the morning I switched the ignition to ON and only the neutral and oil lights turned on. Nothing else. What does this mean? Am I out of battery?

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
It could be the battery, but the first thing I would check is that the battery connections are tight. Sportys tend to have the negative post loosen over time and it needs to be re-tightened periodically. You should be able to get to the connection by removing the seat. All it takes is it to be slightly loose to cause the motorcycle not to start.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Did you check the kill switch on the right side handlebar is set properly? It's easy to nudge that switch "off" then spend a lot of time wondering why the bike won't start.. hey I've done it! :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I mean as you can see in the picture I sent you the only thing that turns on is the neutral and oil signals. Could the battery be loose and still have the power to turn on those lights

Attachments

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You can most certainly have lights and not enough cranking amps to start the motorcycle. Last week some ding dong left the ignition slightly engaged in my car. Easy to do with a keyless ignition. I had lights and such, at first I though it would have been the ignition that got fried, as the car is only 5 years old, how could it be the battery? My last battery in my tracker lasted 11 years. Jumped it, it started right up, but the next day was dead again. Battery was 2 minutes away from exploding, looked like she was prego. Out of 770 cranking amps, it only had 30 cranking amps left in her, no wonder why she wouldnt start. Had to remind the ding dong if the car starts beeping at you when you open the door, you didn't fully disengage the ignition.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can most certainly have lights and not enough cranking amps to start the motorcycle. Last week some ding dong left the ignition slightly engaged in my car. Easy to do with a keyless ignition. I had lights and such, at first I though it would have been the ignition that got fried, as the car is only 5 years old, how could it be the battery? My last battery in my tracker lasted 11 years. Jumped it, it started right up, but the next day was dead again. Battery was 2 minutes away from exploding, looked like she was prego. Out of 770 cranking amps, it only had 30 cranking amps left in her, no wonder why she wouldnt start. Had to remind the ding dong if the car starts beeping at you when you open the door, you didn't fully disengage the ignition.....
Lol @ the thought of a prego battery about to have baby battery babies(Batterlettes? o.0).:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay so the problem is the battery. I took the risk and bought the battery tender junior from which I read very good reviews and I connected it to the battery. Its been 3 hours since I connected it and more lights went on when I turned on the ignition. hopefully by tomorrow the battery is fully charged. what alarms me more is that the guy who sold me said he bough the battery in august and he didn't turn it on at all. Is that the reason why the battery drained? because it was off for basically two months

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
okay so the problem is the battery. I took the risk and bought the battery tender junior from which I read very good reviews and I connected it to the battery. Its been 3 hours since I connected it and more lights went on when I turned on the ignition. hopefully by tomorrow the battery is fully charged. what alarms me more is that the guy who sold me said he bough the battery in august and he didn't turn it on at all. Is that the reason why the battery drained? because it was off for basically two months
it could be, but if so then there may be something wrong with the battery....just about any parts place (O'Rielly's or such and most bike shops) will test the battery for free....it's the luck of the draw sometimes with batteries, I've bought a couple that only lasted a short time....just a bad battery....of course there may be nothing wrong with it and it not being used caused it to drain some....

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
Like Goliath said, it could be a bad battery. A healthy battery won't drain itself by sitting for two months, so taking it and getting it checked would be a good idea. If you have a multi-meter you can also do a "poor man's" load test by yourself.

Another possibility is that you have a parasitic draw on your bike which is bleeding down the battery. That doesn't normally happen very often on Harleys, unless someone installed an aftermarket accessory that's wired directly off the battery or fuse block, and doesn't get power through the ignition switch.

Third thing you can check is to make sure the charging system is functioning correctly. You'll need a multi-meter for that, but it's easy to do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts