Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am just getting into street riding, and gear for that is obviously very expensive. I have a full set of MX (off-road) gear already, and I'm wondering if it is frowned upon (or unsafe) to use any of my MX gear for street riding? I'm aware that an MX jersey wouldn't provide enough protection, but what about the pants, boots, and gloves? I already have a full face helmet for the street, so that part is taken care of. I guess my main question is if it is "socially acceptable" and safe for me to use any of my MX gear for street riding? Any input would really be appreciated!

·
8,621 Posts
Socially acceptable where?

The MX gear would just be a form of ATGATT and the normally bright colors would help people see you too.

I know what you are asking though and I've wondered the same:

So essentially, a rider would be maybe a bit odd wearing his Rickey Racer, superbike costume as he rode his Harley Davidson or reverse it an wear the full Harley "Pirate" outfit, leather chaps, Engineer boots and all on your Ducati Panigale or wearing the same stuff at a Goldwing Rally. :confused:

Now if you have an Adventure/ dualsport bike, no one would notice your attire.

If you have a BMW, good luck because most have no idea how to dress to look like they even deserve to ride a BMW unless they want to look like the Anorexic male models in the Motorcycle adds, who have never ridden in their life but look good in their full MATRIX outfit.:frown:

I can just imagine the looks I'd get wearing my Harley Garb, the full costume, from head to boot, from the dew rag, $500-50 lb Harley leather jacket, full leather vest with 1,000 ride pins and my HOG rocker and patches, leather half gloves, full custom made leather chaps, Engineer boots with one silver spur, and the obligatory large leather wallet with the chain and not to mention my Sturgis 'clip on' ear ring, as I ride my Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive scooter on my commute to work:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Really, I wear a pair of Triumph, black nylon riding pants and a long sleeve T-shirt, leather gloves, street shoes and a 3/4 helmet, nothing color matched.

Just be careful and have fun:wink:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
My son went down, 40 MPH, in a $70 armored Cordura jacket, several years old, purchased from LeatherUp.com. Most folks criticize their products as cheap, inferior, crap, from China...

He slid 40-60 feet on the pavement, burned halfway through the elbow foam armor piece. He suffered some minor road rash on his back thighs, and lower buttocks (denim jeans only), but he was fine, otherwise. That cheap, crappy, no-name jacket saved his elbow from being ground off.

Even the cheap gear will protect you in a low-side crash. Inexpensive leather chaps will go a very long way in protecting you, as well. Ignore the bare-ass jokes, and get yourself a pair of $80 leather chaps, and wear them every ride. I was driving the bike when my son went down -- he was my passenger. I, too, slid 40-60 feet on the pavement. My Cordura jacket suffered some very minor fraying on one sleeve cuff; my chaps have some gray marks, on the side of the right thigh, where I slid. I still wear that pair of chaps, as the damage was merely cosmetic! I suffered a minor scratch on one knuckle -- don't know how, as I was wearing leather gloves, which were unharmed.

Any gear is better than no gear. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Socially acceptable where?

The MX gear would just be a form of ATGATT and the normally bright colors would help people see you too.

I know what you are asking though and I've wondered the same:

So essentially, a rider would be maybe a bit odd wearing his Rickey Racer, superbike costume as he rode his Harley Davidson or reverse it an wear the full Harley "Pirate" outfit, leather chaps, Engineer boots and all on your Ducati Panigale or wearing the same stuff at a Goldwing Rally.

Now if you have an Adventure/ dualsport bike, no one would notice your attire.

If you have a BMW, good luck because most have no idea how to dress to look like they even deserve to ride a BMW unless they want to look like the Anorexic male models in the Motorcycle adds, who have never ridden in their life but look good in their full MATRIX outfit.

I can just imagine the looks I'd get wearing my Harley Garb, the full costume, from head to boot, from the dew rag, $500-50 lb Harley leather jacket, full leather vest with 1,000 ride pins and my HOG rocker and patches, leather half gloves, full custom made leather chaps, Engineer boots with one silver spur, and the obligatory large leather wallet with the chain and not to mention my Sturgis 'clip on' ear ring, as I ride my Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive scooter on my commute to work

Really, I wear a pair of Triumph, black nylon riding pants and a long sleeve T-shirt, leather gloves, street shoes and a 3/4 helmet, nothing color matched.

Just be careful and have fun

Sam
We have an old Yamaha maxim 650, but there's a good chance we'll be picking up a buell blast 500 tomorrow, since it would be more suitable for me to ride. Would I look silly in my MX gear on the blast? I know it shouldn't really matter, but this is a whole new world to me :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My son went down, 40 MPH, in a $70 armored Cordura jacket, several years old, purchased from LeatherUp.com. Most folks criticize their products as cheap, inferior, crap, from China...

He slid 40-60 feet on the pavement, burned halfway through the elbow foam armor piece. He suffered some minor road rash on his back thighs, and lower buttocks (denim jeans only), but he was fine, otherwise. That cheap, crappy, no-name jacket saved his elbow from being ground off.

Even the cheap gear will protect you in a low-side crash. Inexpensive leather chaps will go a very long way in protecting you, as well. Ignore the bare-ass jokes, and get yourself a pair of $80 leather chaps, and wear them every ride. I was driving the bike when my son went down -- he was my passenger. I, too, slid 40-60 feet on the pavement. My Cordura jacket suffered some very minor fraying on one sleeve cuff; my chaps have some gray marks, on the side of the right thigh, where I slid. I still wear that pair of chaps, as the damage was merely cosmetic! I suffered a minor scratch on one knuckle -- don't know how, as I was wearing leather gloves, which were unharmed.

Any gear is better than no gear. Cheers!
I'm sure my pants, boots and gloves would provide some good protection, but what about the jersey? I have a fox brand element 180 jersey. It's quite thin, and I'm not sure if its abrasion resistant. Any idea if it has any protective quality?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since when did Bikers start becoming worried about being socially acceptable?

Wear what you want. It's YOUR ride.
That is the mindset I should have, but I am new to the biker world so I don't really know much about the do's and don'ts. Up until now I've only been a passenger, with my dad as my main example, and he wears no protective gear other than a helmet. He takes off down the road in jeans, a T-shirt and regular shoes. I don't trust myself or others enough to gamble with not wearing protective gear.

·
8,621 Posts
Lookin' good man!

Very nice Beemer there.

I've had 5 of them and love the brand.

I guess my point was that it's almost just a fashion statement the way people buy the attire that fits their bike for the image they want to project.

Now back in 2010, I had a Harley Sportster 883R, a new HD Buell 1125R, a new Triumph Scrambler, a new Honda NT 700 and a Yamaha T-max 500 Maxi-scooter all parked in my garage! (This is why I'm so poor;))

To have the obligatory attire for this group of scoots would have been ridiculous so I just dress the same for all of them.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Quite a collection you have...it must be sweet to have options. Gear for each would sure tax you. :biggrin: I have two beemer jackets and they were not cheap.

I love my little 650 though. I mostly commute but it takes me wherever I need to go. I ride year round. That picture was taken in the winter..

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
The boots will most likely be better than what 90% of riders wear as will the pants since most have kevlar if not some other abrasion resistant patches. But I've gotten a case of road (or dirt) rash in an offroad crash through a Thor Jersey and I've seen my son go through several, so I wouldn't depend on them for squat.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I would wear what you have and buy what you can when you can afford it. I started with cheap gear and bought something new every payday. Now l feel like l have pretty good gear

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Dealerships usually have huge savings on out-of-date gear and merchandise. I caught a $650 dollar two piece winter riding suit marked down to $55 from Bobsbmw dealership in Md. It was outdated but it was the right price for me. It looks great. I also got a top case for 1/2 price. It never hurts to ask..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The boots will most likely be better than what 90% of riders wear as will the pants since most have kevlar if not some other abrasion resistant patches. But I've gotten a case of road (or dirt) rash in an offroad crash through a Thor Jersey and I've seen my son go through several, so I wouldn't depend on them for squat.
Surprisingly I've been lucky enough not to get any rashes from any spills I've taken off-road. I've had some decently bad crashes and gotten some major bruises, but thankfully no other injuries!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Get a jacket and you should be good with the rest. The jersey won't do anything in a crash.
That's my plan! I have a bid on eBay for a jacket I found for $30. Retail price was about $200 and it was very lightly used. It is only made of mesh, but it has armor in the shoulders, elbows, and back, so at least it protects some important places! My boyfriend also recommended getting plated gloves to protect my knuckles, since my current gloves really don't provide much protection.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I wear matching Sedici pants and jacket. My gloves and modular helmet also match the outfit. I've been called Power Ranger and Tron, and-I-look-fabulous!

And I'm also riding a motorcycle, so, I win.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
If you are considering wearing an MX helmet you should also be informed that the chinbar is not very stout compared to that of a streetbike full face. I've seen a few busted off at the track and my son has ripped one off a 3 day old Fox helmet. I myself busted a HJC in two around the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you are considering wearing an MX helmet you should also be informed that the chinbar is not very stout compared to that of a streetbike full face. I've seen a few busted off at the track and my son has ripped one off a 3 day old Fox helmet. I myself busted a HJC in two around the mouthpiece.
I have a full face helmet, so no worries there. I know open face helmets are not quite as protective or sturdy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts