Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are a baby-boomer as I am, or even a young audiophile, this may bring you back to a more pleasant time, or maybe not. This music makes me smile, makes me happy and brings me back to a day when I watched my parents dancing to the new Brazilian music craze of the early 60's sambas and bossa nova. My favorite was "The girl from Ipanema" with singer Astrud Gilberto. What a better time to hear it for the first time...at a beach party on a lake in mid-Summer...parents and friends dancing, doing the twist, water-skiing, hot dogs and hamburgers on the charcoal grill...and a huge salmon baking under the beach sand, wrapped in wet newspaper, our mouths watering while waiting for the reveal.

Yeah, I'm horribly stricken with nostalgia. Glad to have retained the memories though.

Watch this video of Brasil 66, and maybe you can tell me why it has an air of goodness to it. Oh, to have those days back. Where are we know?

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
The real girl from Ipanema sued and won $$ many years later. She rightfully claimed she was the girl, and ought to receive some royalties.
The early fifties and sixties rock was groovy. We lost it all with the twist.

UK

·
Registered
253 Posts
Music seems to be one of those exclusive, special things – and appreciation is often unique to a particular listener… I usually have to listen with headphones as I like mine loud enough to bring on tinnitus and brash enough to get adrenaline running – all of which often upsets my dearly beloved who likes the more classical, be it classical 1950s of classical 1790s… My first major was in music and I come from a musical family, but that seems to give little conventional insight or general appreciation for the main-stream nostalgia inducers… My dad’s dance band used to play swing and while I can appreciate it if well played, I can’t stand it for more than a few selections… then I need a dose of Rush< Cream or Kansas, etc. back to the headphones...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The real girl from Ipanema sued and won $$ many years later. She rightfully claimed she was the girl, and ought to receive some royalties.
The early fifties and sixties rock was groovy. We lost it all with the twist.

UK
Okay, you've confused me now. If my memory serves me right, Joao Gilberto talked his wife, Astrud into singing the song, which was her first professional debut and recording, and the one which took #1 on the billboard. Who was the real girl you are referring to?

50's, 60's and 70's rock....rocks!

·
6,558 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=Girl From Ipanema&title=Special:Search

I always pictured a tall and thin, darkly tanned Latin woman in a barely visible string Bikini, with a huge Camel T-- but the inspiration looks like a southern CA, white privileged Barbie doll chick----so much for a great fantasy:smile_big:

I am a member of a Facebook page dedicated to 40-50-60 and 70's music and we can post any songs we want.

Sam:nerd:

·
Ace Tuner
1,828 Posts
Not a bad cover of the Beatles tune... I like the original better but it's a good tune no matter who does it.
Here is a smile courtesy of Paul and friends. :grin:

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
The girl that the song is about, is a real person. Several folks have recorded the song, including the lady mentioned above.
Wikipedia has most of the story. I posted first, and looked up details later. Do that to check on myself.
My facts about the law suit were a little off, according to Wiki. But she did prove she was the girl, and win the case.
I did not check Sam's link, but it is likely the one, going by his girl description.

UK

·
Nightfly
3,746 Posts
Supposedly it's the second most recorded song in history. Following Yesterday by Paul McCartney. Still don't understand how anyone could win money just for being the inspiration for a song. Perhaps Christie Brinkley should put the pinch on Billy Joel for writing "Uptown Girl." At least she was in the video...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The girl that the song is about, is a real person. Several folks have recorded the song, including the lady mentioned above.
Wikipedia has most of the story. I posted first, and looked up details later. Do that to check on myself.
My facts about the law suit were a little off, according to Wiki. But she did prove she was the girl, and win the case.
I did not check Sam's link, but it is likely the one, going by his girl description.

UK
I've gotta' look up the girl.
Wonder if she's as good looking as the babe on Herb Alpert's album, Whipped Cream And Other Delights? Woohoo! I rather enjoyed that one as a kid.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Not a bad cover of the Beatles tune... I like the original better

There are probably more cover versions of the Beatles than anyone else. IMO none of the cover versions out do the original.
More Beatles please. :grin:

Uh oh, looks like I need to get some more posts before I can put up my Beatle video. :sad:

To be continued....:wink2:

·
Nightfly
3,746 Posts
Not a bad cover of the Beatles tune... I like the original better but it's a good tune no matter who does it.
Here is a smile courtesy of Paul and friends. :grin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-NlEKLpR5o

Don't know what you mean by "Not a bad cover of the Beatles tune." It's not a cover, it was written by Lennon and McCartney, the video was taken from the movie Hard Days Night. You can't cover your own song, they wrote it and performed it originally.

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
Don't know what you mean by "Not a bad cover of the Beatles tune." It's not a cover, it was written by Lennon and McCartney, the video was taken from the movie Hard Days Night. You can't cover your own song, they wrote it and performed it originally.
And speaking of Hard Days Night, and cover. Have a dekko at Peter Sellers version.
It's been a hard days night, feeling you, holding me tight.

UK

·
Registered
786 Posts
It's the video in post #1 that he is referring to as a cover.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know about y'all, but I can often recall the year, and where I was when first hearing many of my favorite tunes. Boz Scaggs, Gerry Rafferty, Rolling Stones, Al Stewart...."Do you feel like I do?" Haha!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I have a lot of my favorite songs from 70's and 80's rock bands on a flash drive and a MP3 player. I like starting my rides with the Foghat song Slow Ride. I ride slower, but I'm not in a hurry.

A few years ago , I took my wife, son and daughter to a Beatles tribute band concert. We all enjoyed it, but my son and daughter really liked it and wanted to know why they don't play music like that today?

Those bands back then had real talent.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
My son listened to some "music" which included lyrics that were very derogatory towards women. One day he was with me in my truck and he said listen to this dad, and stuck a CD in the player.

After a few minutes, I heard a "F--- the b-t-h" I hit the eject and threw that CD out the window. After he got over his little hissy fit, we had a discussion about that kind of "music".

I reminded him his mom and sister were women and that any band that referred to women like that did not deserve his money or admiration. I think I got through to him. It's best not to insult women in front of him now. He will fight you!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just found out some interesting history on Bobby Darin's "Mack The Knife". It was banned...not sure where, in 1959, because people thought it would lead to knifing.

Also, the song was actually derived from a German 1728 play about a robber, rapist, pimp and murderer. Hitler banned the play during the Nazi era. Very interesting and long history about it.

I still like Bobby's song about MacHeath, but now that I know the history, it's a rendition of a very gruesome play.

That song DOESN'T make me happy. But it's good listening.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts