Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Harley Muffler vs Pipes?

I have a 08 Sportster XL883. It still has the factory pipes and mufflers. I was wanting to know if the factory mufflers have removeable baffles?

So what makes loud pipes? The muffler or the actual pipes? I just ordered these new Exhaust Slip-Ons on Ebay... here

I was told I needed to get torque cones if I wanted to take the baffles out of the new mufflers. I want to make my bike louder without spending an arm and leg. I'm kinda clueless... did I just throw my money away? I didn't want to have to take the bike into the dealer to have them recalibrate the fuel injection.

·
Veryfried
1,453 Posts
get yourself a power commander 3, download the right map for your bike with your mods.
there will probably be a custom map for whatever you fit.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The loudness comes from the exhaust valve
opening, and the sudden change in pressure.
It is not the amount of exhaust that makes
the noise. (Think of it like the buzzing of lips
on the mouthpiece of a trumpet.) The sound
wave gets disipated by the baffles in the muffler,
which is what they are there for. The baffles
also tend to impede the exhaust flow and
this is what causes the back pressure, but
back pressure isn't really related to the sound level.

Taking out the baffles will allow the sound
waves to proceed to the outside air. Putting
on different shaped tail pipes can also allow
the sound to flow more freely into the outside
air, (like a trumpet) and make it even louder.
With some good trumpet shaped pipes,
you should be able to get around 110 dB.

I've only seen a couple of bikes like this,
and they had custom made pipes. They
would make your chest rattle, and ear plugs
were mandatory.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
A word of warning:

The 08 Sporty will likely need a ECM adjustment if you do more than a minor change to the exhaust pressure. This can be done at the dealership or you can buy a power commander or similar ECM add-on. The cost will be about the same either way. (Around $300) The fuel injection system is currently set to very lean at the factory, for economy and EPA regulations. Opening up the exhaust will cause an even leaner condition during combustion, which will likely cause over-heating issues or worse, depending on the modification.

I'd recommend doing the job right with a fuel mixture tuned with the exhaust. The bike will run a lot better and damage to the engine can be avoided. Yes, it will cost some money, but it's going to save a lot of headaches and costs in the future.

·
Combat Vets Motorcycle Assn.
210 Posts
A word of warning:

The 08 Sporty will likely need a ECM adjustment if you do more than a minor change to the exhaust pressure. This can be done at the dealership or you can buy a power commander or similar ECM add-on. The cost will be about the same either way. (Around $300) The fuel injection system is currently set to very lean at the factory, for economy and EPA regulations. Opening up the exhaust will cause an even leaner condition during combustion, which will likely cause over-heating issues or worse, depending on the modification.

I'd recommend doing the job right with a fuel mixture tuned with the exhaust. The bike will run a lot better and damage to the engine can be avoided. Yes, it will cost some money, but it's going to save a lot of headaches and costs in the future.
+1:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I have a 08 Sportster XL883. It still has the factory pipes and mufflers. I was wanting to know if the factory mufflers have removeable baffles?

So what makes loud pipes? The muffler or the actual pipes? I just ordered these new Exhaust Slip-Ons on Ebay... here

I was told I needed to get torque cones if I wanted to take the baffles out of the new mufflers. I want to make my bike louder without spending an arm and leg. I'm kinda clueless... did I just throw my money away? I didn't want to have to take the bike into the dealer to have them recalibrate the fuel injection.
More than likely they're talking about a reverse cone megaphone - cones out from smaller to large, then back down small again. It sets up a wave pattern that will usually help torque and width of power range. Most flat track bikes have reverse cone megaphones on the end of the head pipes and then a silencer/muffler on that. They know too much noise is even affecting racing venues, so they muffle those bikes too.

Go for a bit more tone and volume, but don't get stupid like about 80% of the cruiser riders that have put pipes on their bikes have... and yes, if someone reading this is running straight exhausts you are stupid, not to mention inconsiderate and part of the coming ruination of riders being able to even slightly modify their exhausts for any reason. All one has to do is google motorcycle exhaust noise and see what's happening out there. The AMA is taking a stand to try to get motorcyclists to quiet it down with modified pipes for a reason.

Oh, and join the AMA. They're one of the few political lobby groups for motorcyclists and they have a towing package too.

·
Sickle Punk
965 Posts
with just slip ons, you really shouldn't have to **** with factory EFI settings. I went 2200 miles with a full exhaust and stock ECU before getting a power commander.

Trust me when I say getting a power commander and doing it yourself is a ****ton cheaper than paying HD. But if your not like me and value your warrantee, I'd just let HD do it.

Also, HD won't sell you or put on a PCV which isn't street legal, but only a limited PCIII

I think the trend towards straight pipes is they are cheap and/or easy to make out of any sort of metal pipe if you can weld. a good well tuned exhaust can give your bike a more lively feel, as well as a better sound. I'd go for intake, and ECM kit too while you are at it, and tune it. you'd find your little 883 is a whole new animal.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Key words... GOOD WELL TUNED, don't confuse that with straight dual drag pipes and loud. The actual best performing pipes on virtually all V-twins are either 2 into 1 or 2 into 1 into 2. The joining of the tubes helps scavenge exhaust from both cylinders. Proof you ask? Just look at a majority of the V twin drag bikes at the top of the ranks.

Again, be considerate of others when it comes to sheer volume. You can make a bike sound really good and louder, yet not bother most people if you simply try. It will make it so we all can continue to modify exhausts. But if the doofuses that run straight pipes continue to grow in numbers it will be very likely aftermarket exhausts will be outlawed for the road. It will be easy to do if they simply require the EPA/DOT stamp on the pipe. They don't even have to do a sound check, but it would be likely they would require unmodified stamped exhausts.

Just letting you know... for the good of motorcycling.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
If you run with the baffles out, it's likely you will need to change the fuel mixture to suit. To find out for sure, check with the manufacturer:

845-786-0620

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have one of the new harley fuel injected bikes that also have O2 sensors. I have taken out the baffles of my new mufflers and kept the stock pipes on. Sounds great and don't notice any performance lose.

I was told the bike will regulate itself... having fuel injection and O2 sensors...

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I have one of the new harley fuel injected bikes that also have O2 sensors. I have taken out the baffles of my new mufflers and kept the stock pipes on. Sounds great and don't notice any performance lose.

I was told the bike will regulate itself... having fuel injection and O2 sensors...
Check the spark plugs to make sure the mixture isn't running too lean. A white residue or melted electrodes is a sign that there is too much air in the mixture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts