Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is old, so it's got a couple of smallish holes on the mufflers.. maybe 1"x0.5", is there a way to patch those holes? I saw some "muffler cement" or something at Canadian Tire the other day.. would that work? The holes are on the insides of the pipes, so it doesn't have to be beautiful.

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
Stuff like that is just temporary. Know anyone with a torch that can braze a patch in the thicker areas with some thin metal stock? Depending on how thin the area is you might be able to just braze the hole anyway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Most patch type repairs are only effective temporarily in my experience, never had one recommended by a mechanic, they tend to go for replace the part. That said I got an original manufacturer exhaust for a bike once that was crap, will only go for stainless now

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
fix it handy

not really, sorry, you can take a piece of tailpipe, cut it lengthwise and poind it out to a patch the right size, and weld it with a small wirefeed welder on the lowest setting.... if you know how to weld. If you don't know how, you will burn holes in it.
Go to a truck repair shop, NAPA has some exhaust repair parts, and get anything you need to do the repairs, they have extensions, baffles, sizers, and pipe. And don't try to use any other kind of metal for the repairs, they will just burn out.

I built my own exhaust out of the stuff that was left from the rusted out original...
The first muffler I had to weld the homemade baffle into the megaphone before I welded it to the pipe, the other side( it is 2 into 4) I had to weld the baffle onto the pipe before I welded the megaphone on.

Right now, i think I have a miss in the right bank, it is really poppy, and is smoking a little.

The other side is just right!

I was after quiet, and it is kind of loud when you are up close.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
one other thing, I heard you can use muffler packing(fiberglass) and stuff it into the hole until it packs, and when it heats up it makes a glass pack in the hole, but I have never heard of it. I saw one once, but that was when I was a kid. the hole was only about half the size of a dime.... this idea might not work on big holes like your smallish size holes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts