Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to register for the beginner MSF class soon with a friend. But I don't even know how to drive a manual transmission car, let alone understand how to drive a motorcycle. Am I going to be ok? Or should I study up before I get to class?

I'm really excited and nervous about the class. Thanks for any advice...

·
Out Standing In His Field
582 Posts
At my MSF they assumed you've never been on a bike before. While I've had several bikes prior to taking the MSF, the bike they had be used was the first bike with a side stand and kill switch, always seemed to forget to turn that darn thing back on after turning the bike off with it, even though they drilled the procedure into you. :eek: I still occasionally can't figure why the bike won't start until I look at the switch position.

As Schneiderman said don't be timid to ask questions, and don't forget in all the training, drilling, and test to enjoy the experience.

·
Registered
208 Posts
No experience necessary at all! Just took my first class yesterday and it was a blast!

Just make sure you are paying attention because the instructors move pretty quickly (atleast mine did) and I know I missed a little bit on the cornering instructions:eek: My pedal-bike experience saved me though:D

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yeah, around here, the information says all you need to know is how to ride a bicycle (need to have developed some balance anyway). I have some experience and am riding now (with my learners), but will be taking my class on June 6th. I cannot wait!

Mike

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm going to register for the beginner MSF class soon with a friend. But I don't even know how to drive a manual transmission car, let alone understand how to drive a motorcycle. Am I going to be ok? Or should I study up before I get to class?

I'm really excited and nervous about the class. Thanks for any advice...
When I took my MSF 2 weeks ago, I had never driven a manual shift car (probably still can't) and only ridden a 125 dirtbike about 10 years ago. But I can now ride a motorcycle, in fact, I've been riding to work, school, and anywhere else I go. I've probably logged between 400 and 600 miles in the last 2 weeks? (Or at least I've filled up my SV650S, 3 times @ approx. 170 miles per tank) and almost time for another fill up! Don't be nervous, when I took mine everyone was extremely nice, and just wanted to teach me. Make sure to pay attention and have fun. Enjoy, and ride safe . . . P.S. Practice a lot after you take the class!

·
Registered
114 Posts
easy breazy just have to have a bit of natural balance and be WILLING TO LISTEN AND LEARN. They tell you everything you need to know you just have to apply it and do what they tell you, lots of fun too even for experienced riders

·
Registered
304 Posts
I signed up as an alternate, and ended up getting blocked out of the class along with 8 other people :/ I wish they had a bit of a better system in PA, so I could actually attend one of these classes...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree, it's like you're bidding on ebay if you do it over the internet, refresh refresh haha am i in did i make it?

But really any other states have problems getting into classes before they book up all summer?

·
Registered
921 Posts
I took the BRC twice in Pa. Once to learn, and once to review. The problem is not the system. It's that the number of new riders has skyrocketed. There simply isn't enough instructors and classes to accommodate everybody. My dealer told me that there were 20,000 new bikes sold in Pa. last month! I got in as a alternate. Even if you're registered as a alternate, check the schedule. You can show up at class and be a "walk-on" if there is room. The instructor in my class signed all the remaining alternates into a class she knew had open spots.
Good Luck,
Rocksolid

·
Registered
220 Posts
I signed up for the MSF last May and I had to wait until mid August to get into a class. But hey, at least it only cost me $25 instead of the hundreds that other states make you shell out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Now, here's another question on the topic, I was talking to a friend, asking if I needed to ride before the class. He said it was best if I went in with 0 experience, and any riding i did beforehand would be counterproductive. Any thoughts on if the MSF should be the first riding experience I ever have?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would think riding a bit beforehand might help you with balance and such. I'm interested in finding out as well.

BTW I went into my first class with 0 experience on a motorbike.

·
Registered
304 Posts
glad to hear I am not the only one in that boat. I mean, I've been over the whole course book, understand all of the controls, and I have a pretty good handle on how to use the clutch, I've just never had the opportunity to ride... so anxious though :p

·
Registered
921 Posts
You can help yourself greatly by learning the controls on the bike, even if you don't own one. The MSF publishes a book called Proficient Motorcycling that will give you this and lots more. If you can get a friend to let you sit on his bike, start it, kill the engine, find nuetral and use the shifter to learn the gears etc., you will be way ahead. I don't see where some riding experience would hurt, but a old dog like me has "bad" habits that they won't like. I originally took the class with zero riding experience and made it. I had to pay close attention, because everything they taught was new to me. My son just took it and he got a few lessons from me on the things I mentioned. I think he had it easier.
Rocksolid

1 - 15 of 15 Posts