Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks,

For my next bike I am definitely pining for a touring cruiser. The only problem may be finding a good used one I can afford. The other option would be to get a gently used cruiser and with aftermarket parts create the bike I want. My main goals in adding a fairing would be to get more protection for my hands in the winter and to move the speedometer up from the tank in order to reduce the amount of time my vision is not "eyes front" when checking my speed.

Are there aftermarket fairings and speedometers that would allow me to do this mod?

Thanks,

TCMJim

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
There are aftermarket fairings and speedometers being sold from a variety of different makers. The type of motorcycle you will be modifying will determine how easy it is to find one that will fit.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
One of the things I hated most about my VTX was the Speedo located in the tank.
Since most late models have electronic Speedo's a little fabrication and splicing of the speedometer harness shouldn't be too awful hard. As far as the availability of an aftermarket piece, it'll depend largely on what make and model.

·
American Legion Rider
20,056 Posts
You are right ODE about the VTX's. I hardly even looked down there because I just don't like taking my eyes off the road that much. But hey, it looked cool down there! And for some reason when I did look I got a reflection anyway. Was really a poor location or mount angle.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Are you considering adding some sort of GPS navigation device to your bike? They are usually handlebar mounted, and the screen display can be configured in many different ways, INCLUDING the option of displaying your speed.

My bike too has the speedometer mounted in the tank, and yeah it is quite aways down to glance at.. But my Garmin Montana GPS is also displaying my current speed right up on the handlebar, as well as displaying the speed limit of the road I am currently on. Easy to see! :)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
GPS is an excellent idea, and probably more accurate than the stock speedo.

or

Go for a bike, that as stock, fits the most of your needs. So far we know you want fast and cruiser style, so lets say you don't want anything with 3 digit cc's. And now speedo not on gas tank. V-Star 1300 has speedo on handlebars, and I'm sure its plenty fast.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
All my bikes have had the speedo and rev counter on the bars. I totally agree with those posters who prefer the gauges there, I find that looking down to the tank for the speedo takes your eyes away from the road for too long.

Hey TCMJim, if you're wanting a cruiser/tourer then what about something like the Boulevard C50T, C90T or M109T - depending on the size you want. While they don't have fairings, these do have (or can be fitted with) screens which deflect a lot of wind. My next bike will probably be a Boulevard M50 with a sissy bar and panniers fitted.

But take the chance to go around the bike shops and sit on a whole lot of bikes. This is the perfect excuse to troll the bike shops.

By the way, I currently ride a Honda ST1100 sports tourer, I just wish I was an inch or so taller so my feet would touch the ground flat instead of just having the balls of my feet on the ground. I find the ST1100 is a great tourer. Tough not a cruiser, it has a very comfortable seating position. So don't discount bikes like the Yamaha FJR1300, look and sit on everything you can.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
"The type of motorcycle you will be modifying will determine how easy it is to find one that will fit."

:thumbsup:

There are a few companies that make aftermarket fairings that can be adapted to fit several different bikes. The Batwing from Memphis Shades is one of the more popular ones. Most of them will mount to the handlebars although, if you have some fabrication skills, you can usually improve the mounting system and brace it off the triple trees or something. Keep in mind when you're looking around though that most aftermarket fairings are shells and don't come with an inner fairing, or dashboard. It can be available, but it is usually an added cost. Fairings made specifically for a certain model bike, especially a metric bike, are going to be a little more rare to find.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Howdy Folks,

Thanks once again for the good advice I can always expect from the folks on this forum. I have never owned a GPS device so did not know one could be used as a speedometer, pretty cool. Thanks NordicMan. I am not really concerned with having music when I ride, I enjoy music too much and rarely listen to it regardless of what I am driving as it can be distracting. If I can get the right fairing and mount a good GPS, it might just fit the bill for what I need.

Now if someone would come up with an on screen display for the windscreen it would be perfect.

TCMJim

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Are you considering adding some sort of GPS navigation device to your bike? They are usually handlebar mounted, and the screen display can be configured in many different ways, INCLUDING the option of displaying your speed.

My bike too has the speedometer mounted in the tank, and yeah it is quite aways down to glance at.. But my Garmin Montana GPS is also displaying my current speed right up on the handlebar, as well as displaying the speed limit of the road I am currently on. Easy to see! :)
My speedo is on the tank as well. GPS is the simplest solution.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Just be aware that if you put on a batwing fairing, everyone will think you are riding a Harley! If you can tolerate that, then go for it. My bike, a Triumph Thunderbird, also has the speedo on the tank, but I find that over time I am able to glance down at it without undue loss of attention to the road. Personally I prefer a windscreen to a fairing so that I still feel like I am riding a motorcycle and not a two-wheeled SUV.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
But if you tattoos and your bike leaves oil stains on the ground, you might just fool everyone!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Eye, I am riding a Victory but I will also know the difference. The horn cover and the air cleaner are dead give-aways. On a bike with bags the shape of the bags is also very distinct on an HD. Only a cager would think a Suzuki is an HD because it has a big twin engine and a fairing. Oil stains? Are you kidding, we are not talking about antiques here.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I was required to give up my Harley, I failed both phases of the Harley id test, I had to be inside 40yards to correctly identify Harley/no Harley(and that had to be side view, I couldn't tell by looking at the headlight), and the individual Harley id test I failed miserably, best I could do was Sportster, Dyna, Softail

and the other reason was my Harley was a 2004 and never leaked a drop of oil, clearly this was oneofthem KIA Harleys.

So me and my brother went to the Harley store last night to practice on the id test.......walking up to the store I was stumped, and I fell in love, even my brother didn't know what it was, a CVO Softtail Deluxe, all it needs is StreetBob seat.

Then we get inside and my brother is stumped again, there's a Softtail with footpegs......what the hell

We didn't make it to my friends house to check out his new bike, he took his Slim in for a new rear tire and came out with a new bagger, he can't pass the id test either, he couldn't tell me which bagger he got.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
Yeah, but you USED to ride a Harley Oldman, so you have some experience with recognizing them. There's just no accounting for you, or your brother, Anybike. You HAVE to be able to identify a Harley or you're not going to know who to wave at and who to show a snobby attitude to.:wink:

All joking aside, I have trouble sometimes too. Especially when passing a bike at speed or on the highway. Some of the metric models have styling that is so similar to HD's that it can be difficult to tell one from the other in some situations. Most of the time there's something that stands out, like Oldman said. I'm so used to seeing certain shapes that they just jump out at me, but other times all I can say is that it's not a sport bike.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I don't have to worry about it no more, all I have now is Yamaha and Kawasaki, all I need to id is crotch rocket or cruiser.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
My comment about oil leaks was just a joke. A long, long time ago the common knowledge was that HD all leaked oil, all the time. But today I will admit that they are well engineered and as well built as the Japanese bikes. I long ago gave up trying to identify bikes from a distance. As Eye said, the metric cruisers often look more Harley than the new Harleys! My cruiser, a Triumph Thunderbird is easy to see as different from either Japanese or HD by its parallel twin engine instead of the "standard" v-twin.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts