Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So I'm moving from the east coast to the west coast for a new job and that means I get a lot more time to ride. But I have to take it with me. Do we have guys here with any experience of moving the bike? How should I prepare the bike for the move. Do you guys know of any good movers?

I googled up http://www.haulbikes.com/shipping_article.html they seem to be able to do it in 675 bucks, its a lot lesser than I expected. I'll be grateful for any help.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
I'm in agreement with WintrSol. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to find either a trailer or a flatbed, or even my F-150, and move it myself.

For ONE thing.........I'd LOVE to take a trip "cross country."

For another thing......."I'd" be the only one to blame if anything happened to it.

-Soupy

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
What they said. Moving companies are really expensive to move any kind of distance. A friend of mine moved from Denver to Seattle and the cheapest movers he could find wanted $11,000 to move him. Imagine what it would cost to move coast to coast, even if you didn't have a whole bunch of stuff?

I would just get a bigger truck than you need and put the bike in first, in the front corner. Tie it down really well, and make sure you get your forks compressed well with good strong tiedowns. Then Throw a cover over it and surround it with stuff that won't damage it...bedding, clothes, light boxes...and create a buffer between your bike and anything that could really damage it, like tools or furniture.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
...........................Then Throw a cover over it...............

Speaking of Covers........I need to find something BIG enough to cover my bike in the garage, now that it's stored for the Winter.

My wife had given me a sheet some time ago, but it didn't really cover it very well.

Awe heck..........I don't need to cover it! I'll be out in the garage almost every day, kissing the fenders and telling her how much I miss her!! (lol)

-Soupy

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Soupy, if you decide you want a cover, check out WalMart. I bought 1 that fits my bike very well for about $20.00. Not something I would use if it was out in the weather but it keeps the dust off of her while in the garage.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Speaking of Covers........I need to find something BIG enough to cover my bike in the garage, now that it's stored for the Winter.

My wife had given me a sheet some time ago, but it didn't really cover it very well.

Awe heck..........I don't need to cover it! I'll be out in the garage almost every day, kissing the fenders and telling her how much I miss her!! (lol)

-Soupy
If you change your mind, these covers are on sale again at CycleGear for $50. l bought one for my bike and it is surprisingly easy to throw on and off, and it has been very durable as well. I was worried about tears from getting caught up in foot pegs, etc. They come as big as an XL l believe...l bought a medium for my sport bike and it is bigger than it needs to be, so you'll be good with an XL

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Deluxe-Motorcycle-Cover

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Cycle Gear here in Huntsville currently has a CHEAP cover on sale for $19.

For in-garage, consider just a painters thin plastic tarp. $7.99 at Home Depot.

The really BEST cover, waterproof on top, breathable on the sides, and top vents to let out any moisture CONDENSING inside the cover out-of-doors --

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=CoverMax%20Deluxe%20Motorcycle%20Cover[/ame]

·
So long
2,753 Posts
Hi guys,

So I'm moving from the east coast to the west coast for a new job and that means I get a lot more time to ride. But I have to take it with me. Do we have guys here with any experience of moving the bike? How should I prepare the bike for the move. Do you guys know of any good movers?

I googled up http://www.haulbikes.com/shipping_article.html they seem to be able to do it in 675 bucks, its a lot lesser than I expected. I'll be grateful for any help.
Years ago during a cold, cold January I shipped my Road King home to Chapel Hill from from my brothers house in Indialantic, Florida. Back then I traveled every week for work and wasn't able to take the time to fly down and ride it back. So I used Federal Motorcycle Transport to ship it home. They're a division of Allied Van Lines.

Preparation is easy. The fuel must be drained down to a reserve level. Then they strap the bike to a 4x8 specially made motorcycle skid.

For more info here's a link to their web site. http://www.alliedmotorcycleshipping.com/index.html

I know most guys will tell you to ride it there yourself or U-Haul it. But, when you consider the time and expense of doing it yourself it may be less costly to ship it. If you've never transported a bike before you may cause some damage and you'll be kicking yourself. And then there's the risk that it will be stolen while you get some sleep in a motel. Yes it happens a lot. I have a good friend that was hauling two race bikes to Barber Motorsports in Birmingham, Alabama. He parked with the trailer backed against the building and left it hooked up to his truck. The next morning his truck was there but the trailer and the two race bikes were gone!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot guys for the suggestions. Riding/Uhauling the stuff myself isn't an option for me. There is far too little time between the last day of one job and the first day of the new one. Sadly sending it over is my only option however much i wish for the cross country trip.

I do know that there are a few companies that specifically work with transporting motorcycles and hence the thread.

Years ago during a cold, cold January I shipped my Road King home to Chapel Hill from from my brothers house in Indialantic, Florida. Back then I traveled every week for work and wasn't able to take the time to fly down and ride it back. So I used Federal Motorcycle Transport to ship it home. They're a division of Allied Van Lines.

Preparation is easy. The fuel must be drained down to a reserve level. Then they strap the bike to a 4x8 specially made motorcycle skid.

For more info here's a link to their web site. http://www.alliedmotorcycleshipping.com/index.html

I know most guys will tell you to ride it there yourself or U-Haul it. But, when you consider the time and expense of doing it yourself it may be less costly to ship it. If you've never transported a bike before you may cause some damage and you'll be kicking yourself. And then there's the risk that it will be stolen while you get some sleep in a motel. Yes it happens a lot. I have a good friend that was hauling two race bikes to Barber Motorsports in Birmingham, Alabama. He parked with the trailer backed against the building and left it hooked up to his truck. The next morning his truck was there but the trailer and the two race bikes were gone!
Thanks a lot for this Oz. Theft is certainly a fear with my bike so riding it was never an option. And as you said riding/moving it 3000 miles may not be worth the time or money. I'll check out allied motorcycle shipping. Thanks mate.

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts
San Fran

Sweet. You will need to work on your left coast attitude. We do things differently out here. Lots of boats in the Bay.
Watch the movie Bullet again, will help you with your driving attitude.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweet. You will need to work on your left coast attitude. We do things differently out here. Lots of boats in the Bay.
Watch the movie Bullet again, will help you with your driving attitude.

Unkle Crusty*
lol
Thanks for the advice Unkle, I shall sit with a notebook and watch the movie Bullet.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
If moving it myself was not an option, I'd go to my local Dealership (that ships bikes all the time) and ask THEM if they would crate and ship it for me.

As for the "cover" part of this conversation.......I don't think I WILL cover it. "Condensation" is a worry I don't want.

-Soupy

1 - 20 of 36 Posts