Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a clock on my bike (I don't wear a watch) and didn't like the idea of a China made cheapy, so I decided to make a mount for an aircraft eight day windup clock. This clock came from an airplane I had rebuilt and sold. The buyer put in a new instrument panel and gave me the clock back as a momento.

Anyway, here's what I came up with, machining it from solid bar stock aluminum. It's a little boxy looking but I like the basic look. All that's left to do is polish it, and I HATE polishing. Maybe use it as is for now and polish it next winter.

Attachments

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Hey I like it, looks FANTASTIC, BUT...

AutoZone et.al. sell these little stick-on digital clock/thermometer "modules" you could hang off your handlebars somewhere...I find it EXTREMELY helpful/interesting to monitor the air temp while I'm riding

They look like crap compared to your beautiful aircraft wind-up, but.... $15 or less.

My Vespa's got a built in digital thermometer in the cluster. really love having that,

W

·
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just curious, what did it come out of? (I used to work in aviation..)
A 1960 Piper Tri-Pacer. I found the airplane parked and neglected on an airport ramp. Made some inquiries and bought it cheap. Took it home and completely dismantled and rebuilt it. Made some modifications as well, converting it from tricycle to conventional (taildragger) gear and added a pilot side door. Made it a decent little bush plane. Ended up selling it to a missionary pilot friend who uses it to train new jungle pilots.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Very cool! I've actually flown one or two of those - I hated the trike gear - especially if the student didn't know how to land in a crosswind..

·
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very cool! I've actually flown one or two of those - I hated the trike gear - especially if the student didn't know how to land in a crosswind..
Yup! That's why they were dubbed 'Flying Milkstools'... didn't take all that xwind much to tip 'em over. Even though it was a short coupled airplane the taildragger version wasn't hard to keep straight (unless the gear wasn't aligned right, but that's another topic).

·
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it mounted

Looks better on the bike than it did on the bench. I went ahead and put it on as is so I can be using it, but will polish it this next winter.
With all the electronic whiz bang gadgetry that's out there today, I kind of like the old school look.

Attachments

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I'm so glad you posted a pic of the installed clock. It looks great! I was thinking that it was bigger...wouldn't have looked so good. IMO.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Clock

I want one.
I use a cheap watch strapped around the bar. Or I will slide a watch into the top of the tank bag. My Suzuki has a built in clock. But I have to get the book out and set it.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
has a cool look, I'll admit that.............but.......I'm not into the idea of distractions on my bike.

Furthermore, I like getting lost (no GPS) and NOT knowing what time it is, when I ride.

Nice job though!!

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Looks better on the bike than it did on the bench. I went ahead and put it on as is so I can be using it, but will polish it this next winter.
With all the electronic whiz bang gadgetry that's out there today, I kind of like the old school look.
Now that looks hot!

·
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the kind words... they are much appreciated.

Eye - Thanks!

Unkle Crusty - I am unable to reliably set my new digital alarm clock, so I went back to a wind up Big Ben. Works every time.

Soupy - I understand the distraction thing but glancing at this clock is no more distracting than checking the speedo. BUT, a GPS would be a distaction... for me. Others undoubtedly multitask better. When I ride, I lose track of time... nice to know when I oughta be heading home.

Moni - You're right... I was apprehensive about the size myself until seeing it nested so nicely.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I think you opened up a can of worms. You are going to want to change the instrument cluster on the bike to match now.

It looks awesome.

·
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you opened up a can of worms. You are going to want to change the instrument cluster on the bike to match now.

It looks awesome.
I think YOU opened my can of worms for me! ;) I hadn't entertained the thought... yet.

I suppose I could find an old airspeed indicator but then I'd have to mount a pitot tube... :p

·
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bet switching the phillips head screws with allen head would really look great.
I completely agree! And I will be looking to change that out.

At first I was trying to find some pan head AN (aircraft) screws that didn't have that big dome, but the ones I had weren't long enough. Using these for now let me get the clock in service. But, boy howdy, they are ugly...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts