Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read the article on this bike in Motor Cyclist this week...it is the first American Sport Tourer with a V4 engine, which they suggested is very similar in design to half of a Chevy small block (1650cc). It does 165 mph, costs $30,000. Don't get me wrong, they have a long way to go before solidifying themselves as a name l would trust...but the future could hold a great sport-tourer that is built right here at home :)

http://motusmotorcycles.com/

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
$30K is fatter than "my" wallet, and I'm not personally a fan of the type of bike illustrated in the link, so (as they say in Shark Tank) "...for that reason; I'm out."

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
That's really interesting they went with a longitudinal V4, and more interesting they decided to give it a dramatic downwards pitch towards the front. That pushes all the centralized fuel/intake hardware forwards pointing towards the steering head, which would make for interesting packaging, allowing more room for a slightly bigger gas tank. Obviously the transmission has to be designed to receive the crankshaft coming at it 'upwards'.

I wonder how much 'chassis twist' is noticed when the throttle is blipped, much like what happens with a MotoGuzzi? Maybe the engines tilt keeps that minimal..

Great to see another motorcycle competitor out there,, let's see how well they do :)

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I like the engine and wish them luck, but $30k is a big ask for the bike IMO. It's very cool (like I said, I love the engine!), but in terms of performance I can buy a Hayabusa for half of that which has a significantly higher top speed. A modern Goldwing looks more comfortable and better equipped for traveling. If I wanted something a bit unique and different I can buy a modern Buell for way less.

I certainly don't want to rain on their parade - like I said I really like the bike - I just think they're asking a lot for a new bike which isn't really the best at any one thing (that I've found anyway.)

·
6,509 Posts
1650cc's is not half of a Chevy small block, which is 350 cubic inches and half is 175 cubic inches. 1650cc's is like 100 cubic inches. My past VTX1800 and my C1800R Suzuki's were 110 cubic inches.

Having said that, I like the design and hope they do well, although it's certainly taken them long enough to actually get on the road.

$30,000 is nothing for exclusivity amongst so many Xerox copies of bikes.

We are in the day of almost $40,000 factory Harley Davidsons and $30,000+ Gold wings and almost as expensive BMW K1600's.

I want a new Pickup soon and my current one, a 2009 Dodge Ram, Big Horn, Hemi, 4x4, 1500 was almost $37,000! My cousins new top of the line Dodge 3500 Super everything, Cummins powered, 4x4 was almost $60,000 and some on the Dodge and nearby Ford lot are $75,000 retail.

So, what is VALUE anymore?

Buy any of these sub $10,000 bikes and keep them for 4 or 5 years, in excellent shape and get maybe $3,500 trade in or $4,000 from a private party---Is that value?

Buy a Harley Davidson for 15 to 17 thousand, keep it 4 or 5 years and in excellent condition and it will be worth maybe $12,000+- when it is sold. Is that Value?

What is it worth to have something that isn't a compromise to save a little money?

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
V65 Junky
446 Posts
They are packing some premium items on that bike with the Ohlins and Sargent seat.

btw, they do not say it is half a Chevy small block. They say "It's the same small block architecture found in the most reliable and competitive engines on the planet". That means its modeled off a small block Ford :)

I think they are simply referring to the ohv, push rod design with hydraulic lifters.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,528 Posts
Looks like the Honda CTX1300 which is 1/3 the price

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the engine and wish them luck, but $30k is a big ask for the bike IMO. It's very cool (like I said, I love the engine!), but in terms of performance I can buy a Hayabusa for half of that which has a significantly higher top speed. A modern Goldwing looks more comfortable and better equipped for traveling. If I wanted something a bit unique and different I can buy a modern Buell for way less.

I certainly don't want to rain on their parade - like I said I really like the bike - I just think they're asking a lot for a new bike which isn't really the best at any one thing (that I've found anyway.)
I remember when Buell came out in the early 80's...they were REALLY expensive. I think history shows that these bikes tend to come down in price as production rises.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The article in the magazine l read said that the design was very similar to half a Chevy small-block, but at smaller scale. It also said there were few if any of the same parts. I didn't mean to suggest that it was, in fact, half a Chevy small block, so l apologize if it came across that way.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I would definitely wait ten years to see how things came along anyway before buying a new upstart

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I remember when Buell came out in the early 80's...they were REALLY expensive. I think history shows that these bikes tend to come down in price as production rises.
You should see the price of a 2013 model. (EBR only made 35 of them).

I believe the new 2015 models are out this spring and can be had for right about $15,000, which includes about a $4000 discount for early adopters.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should see the price of a 2013 model. (EBR only made 35 of them).

I believe the new 2015 models are out this spring and can be had for right about $15,000, which includes about a $4000 discount for early adopters.
I remember reading the article when Buell first hit the market. I believe l was in junior high. I think the early Buell cost something like $8000 when you could buy a brand new GSXR750 for like $4750, but don't quote me on that. Eventually l think they came down to a more reasonable level, still expensive but not double the price.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
For 30,000 clams, look at it as a starter American bike, Hawk. But one, ride it awhile, then move up to a Confederate X132 for about 70,000.:biggrin:

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
That is a beautiful bike! and it does have some high end components
If I had the financial ability, I would definitely check into one. I'm liking pretty much everything about that scoot.

Where/when can I see one in person??

·
Charlie Tango Xray
760 Posts
I like it. The last American made bike that caught my eye was a Buell. There is something to be said about parking in a row of bikes and being able to spot yours from a distance.

·
6,509 Posts
JO, go to their web page, to dealers and type in your Zip code and a map will pop up that shows their locations.

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts