Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
23,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And without looting or burning buildings down.

A group of "motorcycle enthusiasts" traveled to Waco to protest the arrests of 170 bikers after last Sunday's deadly biker gang shootout.

Protestors say local police acted too harshly and claim that most of the people in jail are “innocent.”

A little more than an dozen protestors from Houston and Austin showed up for a peaceful demonstration outside the McLennan County Courthouse, Saturday.

Many held signs that read "$1 million bond is excessive" and "motorcycling is not a crime."

Protestors sent their condolences to the families who lost loved ones in the shooting.

Protester and motorcyclist Ferrell Surette says their not defending what happened but say they came out to support the 170 riders who he called "average guys, who were just in the wrong place, at the wrong time."

"If it's found out through the investigation, through due process that somebody did shoot somebody else then by all means, that's a bad apple,” says Surette. “That person needs to be prosecuted. But to say that there was 170 bad apples in that one location at that one time, that's just not true. There's no way that could be true."

McLennan County Sheriff's Parnell McNamara stopped by the rally to talk with protestors and thank them for being peaceful. Sheriff McNamara declined to comment on the investigation but assured protestors that law enforcement knows the majority of motorcyclists aren't criminals.

http://www.kxxv.com/story/29142965/motorcyclists-protest-in-support-of-jailed-bikers-suspects

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Let's role play............

You are a Cop, coming to a homicide, and it is established that the death was the direct result of shots from a Club member's gun, but there are 170 Club members there.

You start by detaining EVERYONE, (and if need be, lock them up) and as you whittle thru the facts, and evidence, you gradually can release the vast majority.

Makes perfect sense to me.........

In THIS case, there were "Officers on the scene" at the time of the altercation. There should have been (and I presume "is") enough eye-witness info available, given by those "on scene," to narrow the field a tad.

Then too, there are the actions AFTER the shootings, stabbings and so forth. Actions and re-actions by Club members that might have warranted detainment; like "interfering with PO's as they sorted out the mess, and stuff like that.

PO's have a tough job to do, we know that. Sometimes you're "damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I think I understand the motives of the protestors in this case. I just don't know if I feel that it was worth anything.

-Soupy

·
Registered
699 Posts
Let's role play............

You are a Cop, coming to a homicide, and it is established that the death was the direct result of shots from a Club member's gun, but there are 170 Club members there.

You start by detaining EVERYONE, (and if need be, lock them up) and as you whittle thru the facts, and evidence, you gradually can release the vast majority.

Makes perfect sense to me.........

In THIS case, there were "Officers on the scene" at the time of the altercation. There should have been (and I presume "is") enough eye-witness info available, given by those "on scene," to narrow the field a tad.

Then too, there are the actions AFTER the shootings, stabbings and so forth. Actions and re-actions by Club members that might have warranted detainment; like "interfering with PO's as they sorted out the mess, and stuff like that.

PO's have a tough job to do, we know that. Sometimes you're "damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I think I understand the motives of the protestors in this case. I just don't know if I feel that it was worth anything.

-Soupy
Detaining at the scene and arresting people are two very different things, Soupy!

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Technically, the word "Arrest" applies to detaining, as well as placing in a locked facility. They are very broadly used terms.

-Soupy

·
Registered
699 Posts
Technically, the word "Arrest" applies to detaining, as well as placing in a locked facility. They are very broadly used terms.

-Soupy
While obviously arrest is a form of detention, one may be detained without being arrested. Cops dont have to arrest you at the scene of an accident to keep you from driving off from it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The detained guys are being held on a charge of "engaging in organised crime". That's how the feds justify holding/charging everyone they can and setting the million dollar bail. It hasn't got to do with who may or may not have shot anyone.

All the cops (probably the federals) needed was a willing judge to agree to such a bail, but it seems to me that the actual charge of engaging in organized crime by club membership will have a tough time being sustained through trials, but they're probably feeling all warm and fuzzy for just being able to make life difficult for as many as they could and for as long as possible.

I'm surprised that all of the original 170 are still being held. A decent lawyer should have been able to get at least bail reduction if not a change in he charges, but it would need some big money to get it working.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Soupy being arrested and being detained is 2 totally different things.

Detained they may hold you for a specified amount of time......Hollywood claims it varies from 24 to 48 hrs, which would be plenty long enough to determine who you are and where to find you.

Arrested, you are charged with a crime, this is permanently on your record, being found "not guilty" does not remove the charge from your record. They can hold you until you make bail or found "not guilty", or "charges dropped".

Now when you're interviewing for a job, as everyone knows, the police don't arrest innocent people, a "not guilty" "charges dropped" verdict only implies the police didn't have enough evidence on you........so the guy less qualified that has never been arrested gets the job because I don't want you using my business to promote your organized crime activities.

And after you spend weeks/months in the pokey for doing nothing you'll see the difference in detained and arrested.

Guaranteed any "charges dropped" also have a you must sign a piece of paper that you will not sue for unlawful arrest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts