Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Police: The amount of damage is tremendous
Nasty wreck last night in Omaha. Details still a bit sketchy. Motorcyclist was killed as well as a six year boy in the SUV the cyclist struck. Mention of driving twice the speed limit got my attention as well. The comments following the article said the posted limit was 45.

Officers at the scene tell KETV a motorcyclist was speeding west on Storz Expressway and crashed into an SUV trying to turn. Investigators believe the motorcyclist was travelling at nearly twice the posted speed limit.

motorcyclist-and-child-killed-in-omaha-crash

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
"I understand these high speed motorcycle bikes," said Sergeant Jason Menning. "That's kind of the whole excitement of them, but we all have to be aware of each other and look out for each other."

When a motorists makes a left hand (failure to yield) in front of a motorcyclist doing TWICE the speed limit, who's fault is it?

Ok, now what if the motorcycle is only doing 5mph over the limit? 10mph? 15mph? 20mph?

See the problem? Where do you draw the line?

I think a motorist (car or bike) has a REASONABLE assumption that oncoming traffic is doing NO MORE than 10mph over the posted limit.

We had a pair of crotch rockets doing 110+ down Main Avenue in Durango T-bone a pickup truck (full size, crew crab) that pulled out in front of them.

Shoved the pickup truck six feet sideways.

Picked the two cyclists out of the wreckage with a toothbrush and pick.

Forest Gump's mother had something to say about THAT pair...

·
Nightfly
4,416 Posts
As a driving instructor many years ago I've found that when people look left and right for on-coming traffic they seem to not be able to calculate the speed at which the vehicle is approaching. They only see something coming but don't take that extra couple of seconds to note its approaching speed. Fortunately instructor cars back then had controls on the passenger side. Lifesaving.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Without only the details provided it's a little hard to say what happened, but had the cyclist not been going twice the speed limit there is a good chance the vehicle could have cleared the intersection. Or if the cyclist had been going the speed limit and impacted the vehicle, it's not nearly as likely the six year boy would have been killed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts