Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this article interesting. Especially given some of the threads lately. Not really news worthy but interesting so it's here rather than the news article forum.

By Jack Martin....
Being as I am a news and political junkie, I've become aware and concerned of certain developments in this country over the past decade or so. People who indulge in any sort of behavior or lifestyle outside the mainstream have become increasingly sensitive to scrutiny and increasingly likely to litigate. Riding a motorcycle falls outside of mainstream behavior, with DOT records showing that only about 4% of all registered drivers are also licensed to ride. As such, I'm certainly in the fringe. I've always been in the fringe, always knew I would be and always held the belief of "screw you, no one is forcing you to ride so leave me alone." Likewise, I always respected the decisions of those who elected not to ride because I knew I was in the minority. I was the one who was different and accepted it.

http://www.examiner.com/article/motorcycles-as-metaphors

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Did you read it

he is saying we are a bunch of lawsuit happy people.
Well, I read it and that's not what I got from it. My take was there must be some yelling and screaming going on about being denied access to ride through upscale gated communities, not a bunch of lawsuits in general.

As far as gated communities, why should a biker have their feelings hurt for being denied access? It wouldn't matter what they were driving.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well crud. I didn't read that at all. With what is going on right now at this site, I read we are unable to accept others opinions or point of view. In general that is. Dang, I'm completely out of it I guess.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
That picture in the link brought back some awesome memories. :) I've never owned a Harley, probably never will. But I do blame them, (and Evel Knievel of all people) for giving me the riding bug. :eek:
When we were small, our parents took us to see Knievel jump some cars. I don't remember the jump very well. But I do remember the HD motorcycle display in the lobby. Especially the Aermacchi-built HD X-90's. For months afterwards, I tried to find a local HD dealer that had an X-90 in stock, to no avail. Where HD failed me in my lust for riding, my local Honda dealer secured a loyal customer for life by selling me a used Honda CT70 at a discounted price. And so my love affair with Honda began at an early age. And the rest is history. Interestingly, I'm probably the only person on the planet that looks back fondly at the Harley Davidson/AMF years. :biggrin:
<-- my CT70 that I still have today.

Pic from the link below....

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interestingly, I'm probably the only person on the planet that looks back fondly at the Harley Davidson/AMF years.
No you aren't. They had a Road Glide back then that I'd still like to get my hands on. They have since come out with that color again so I'm not as interested as before. It was the color scheme that got me though.

·
8,572 Posts
Some say that Motorcycles are metaphors for masculinity and those that pick the biggest, baddest bike lack in certain physical areas! How did they know???:confused:

I guess this is why my tastes in bikes is getting smaller as does my-ah personal CC's:biggrin:

I was riding mini-bikes and dirt bikes long before my first street legal and licensed bike in 1962. In all of those years, except for very short periods, I have always had a motorcycle.

I have absolutely NO motorcycle EGO-none. I never feel that I am anyone but my chubby and out of shape self. I ride because it's fun---that's it. A bike is a toy to me---a recreation fun machine.

I guess a bike to me is a metaphor for Nirvana/ euphoria and renewed perceptions.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With that logic, I guess that's why I was satisfied with the 185. Now my wife might have other ideas.:) That's the one that's important.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have to disagree with the author about not suing for access to riding my bike to and from my home. I don't live in an upscale community, but they did have security gates( sort of) that were gone before I moved in. The thing is they didn't allow a motorcycle owner to ride to their house, you had to park at the entrances to the community and ride out from there then park there when you come back. This probably came from the fifties or sixties attitude that "bikers" were undesireable types. Now thanks to someone else I have the right to ride my legal vehicle to and from my house. Our rights as license and registration fee paying legal citizens are worth fighting for.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Well, again that shows how sheltered I am. My take was some bikers were upset because they couldn't cruise through gated communities. If you lived there it would only make sense you should be able to drive any vehicle you owned to your place of residence.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Before you move into a gated community, they hand you a set of bylaws to read. You can either agree and sign them, or live somewhere else. The community we lived in when we first got married didn't allow motorcycles or commercial vehicles to be parked overnight. So I had to park my bike and pickup in the employee parking lot behind the clubhouse and walk to my townhouse. While we only lived there for a few years BECAUSE of all their rules. I gotta tell ya, it was kind of nice to be able to have a conversation out on the patio without having to wait while another group of noisy riders rumbled by, like we do today living out in the country. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
Did you read it

he is saying we are a bunch of lawsuit happy people.
Metaphors are powerful and multi-layered. At the end of the day we see what we look for.

Supreme Motorcycle Metaphors: "Look at the tree, hit the tree" & "We see what we look for".

I thought his metaphor was that we've become a timid people, it was a thought provoking read, and I like to read what's going on in other rider's minds.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I think motorcycles are a metaphor for freedom and independence. The man or woman who rides is saying "I am free, and I can feel the wind in my face and the sights and smells of my surroundings the way everyone did in the years before transportation meant being cooped up in a metal cage". Because of the negative image of those who ride, which primarily arose in post-WWII America, riders are also using their bikes to say "I don't care if you dislike me, or what I enjoy doing, I'll do it anyway because that's what makes me happy".

Many years ago, just before I retired from active military service after 24 years in uniform, a fellow officer offered me his "advice", which was to give up riding a motorcycle since the image might end up losing me some opportunities for good employment. Contrary to what he advised, I kept on riding. When I was being considered for a senior management job with a Catholic health care corporation (a job I kept for 17 years before I fully retired), the panel interviewing me consisted primarily of elderly Sisters representing the sponsoring religious community of the corporation. I made a point of telling them that motorcycling was a very important part of my life, and that if it would bother them to see their new Vice President ride up to the corporate offices on a motorcycle, then I was not the man for them. I later was told that this expression of independence and confidence actually contributed to the decision to hire me over several other much more experienced candidates.

Personally, despite the public image of bikers, I have found riders to be the best group of people I have known (other than the good Sisters of course!).

·
8,572 Posts
really, a lot of words signifing nothing. His story at least to me is a metaphor for banalism and a last dich effort to make press.

By the way, on the left side of the page is an announcement about this:

http://www.examiner.com/article/cossacks-mc-annual-mingus-blowout

Yeah Honey, sounds great---see ya there---NOT.

The Latest is the Cossacks were there at the Waco, boy scouts merit badge Church social with the HA's, to show the bandido's that they (Together) were taking over Texas.

What a RAG.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
really, a lot of words signifing nothing. His story at least to me is a metaphor for banalism and a last dich effort to make press.
Huh. Just a dude looking for attention. There's a metaphor for ya...

LOOK! I'm pointing at myself too!

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
8,572 Posts
Ya dirty mind ya:biggrin:

I looked it up too and the word doesn't exist apparently:confused:

It's just like Uranus, they don't really know for sure if it exists!:biggrin:

Or maybe that was Pluto--no he was a dog;)

Long day and these computer's are driving me nuts!!:frown:

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts