Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
A retired colonel friend of mine easily 100 pounds overweight thinks motorcycles are dangerous. Let's just say his opinion carries little freight.

Well ;

I'm old, fat and crippled, my Sweet, doctor, son and many friends all tell me 'maybe it's time to hang up your spurs Nate', I tried, I really did but the two wheels called me back.....

"MURDER CYCLES !" ~ yeah yeah cry me a river .

When someone tries to tell me they are dangerous, I grab my head in mock horror, eyes wide open and say, "These things are DANGEROUS???? Oh NO!!! Why didn't you tell me that 54 years and 350,000 miles ago??? THINK OF THE DANGER I'VE BEEN IN!! "
End of discussion.
Same Here, started street riding in 1968 and i've never stopped @ 69 yrs old.

Everything will kill you eventually, might as well take chances on something that's worth the risk :)
I spend my days dodging tractors and avoiding getting sucked into jet engines, the ride to and from work is probably safer than my job anyway :)

Yeah, I didn't believe the stories of being sucked into jet engines until I saw a training video ~ it looked like he'd be killed but apparently wasn't hurt much, just badly bruised .

I was working the Christmas shift A L.A.X. in......1985 (? IIRC) and some idiot had parked his 747 backed up to the maintenance fence and didn't want to wait for a tug (pilots are no allowed to taxi in these areas due to ground personel) , I'd been called out to re light the pilot of the out side steam cleaning machine and just as I walked up the idiot began firing up the engines ~ wow that was a hard wind blast ~ I ran behind a building to avoid beng blow away but stuck around just to see how windy it would get ~

It got bad, I felt sand blasted and I never did get the steam cleaner lit that day .

"Everything will kill you eventually, might as well take chances on something that's worth the risk "

Yep, it's a managed risk .

Too bad we can't take the cagers out of the equation .

Yeah, I didn't believe the stories of being sucked into jet engines until I saw a training video ~ it looked like he'd be killed but apparently wasn't hurt much, just badly bruised .

I was working the Christmas shift A L.A.X. in......1985 (? IIRC) and some idiot had parked his 747 backed up to the maintenance fence and didn't want to wait for a tug (pilots are no allowed to taxi in these areas due to ground personel) , I'd been called out to re light the pilot of the out side steam cleaning machine and just as I walked up the idiot began firing up the engines ~ wow that was a hard wind blast ~ I ran behind a building to avoid beng blow away but stuck around just to see how windy it would get ~

It got bad, I felt sand blasted and I never did get the steam cleaner lit that day .
'
Airport work is dangerous...supposedly OSHA used to rank us near coal mining for safety or lack of, not sure how that holds up recently.
I think I've seen that same video, the difference was with that kind of engine the first element is a stator, someone sucked in jams up in there and can get crushed, break ribs, etc but they don't contact the rotating parts if they are lucky.
On a modern high bypass jet engine the first thing anything that gets sucked up is going to hit is the fan... trust me I wouldn't be standing ANYWHERE near in front of this 787 engine if it was running, for scale that's a 10 foot fan in a 13 foot diameter engine, the best way to appreciate the size is stand inside the inlet and try to reach the top.. I have that picture someplace.
Getting ingested in a fan engine is fatal, I have never seen one personally but I have seen some awful pictures of such an event, it might as well be falling into a meat grinder or wood chipper, the effect is the same. The scary part is that you can be alongside the engine and still get sucked around the side and forward into the fan, that's an especially large risk on the smaller 737 due to the configuration of the engines and their positions. We have had a number of other fatalities over the years, people get crushed, run over, fall off things, burned, blown up, overcome by fumes, and I know of 2 fatal propeller accidents at Newark over the years, those are ugly too. Numerous limbs lost, head injuries, fingers, toes (my dad lost his thumb at JFK airport when I was a kid) , plus all the usual industrial accidents that happen in any heavy industry , electrical accidents, falls from height, confined space accidents, etc.
Wheel Aircraft Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

The jet blast from a large airliner is impressive when trying to get it moving from standstill, it takes quite a bit of thrust to overcome the weight and the rolling resistance of the tires. This Youtube clip is from an old United Airlines training video that I had to watch yearly... Yes the truck had the engine removed so they didn't dump oil the bay, but it makes no difference to the result, trust me.

Oh yeah, they are powerful alright.
My other friend Mike that you lived near was at an airshow up in New Hampshire years ago.
They had a C5 Galaxy transport plane demonstrate just how short of a takeoff it could do.
As the nose pitched up, the jet blast tore chunks out of the runway!!! The air show had to be stopped for about an hour 'til they could repair the runway.

• Helpful
Reactions: -Nate and mike721
Oh yeah, they are powerful alright.
My other friend Mike that you lived near was at an airshow up in New Hampshire years ago.
They had a C5 Galaxy transport plane demonstrate just how short of a takeoff it could do.
As the nose pitched up, the jet blast tore chunks out of the runway!!! The air show had to be stopped for about an hour 'til they could repair the runway.
I would like to have seen that, yikes, talk about a show stopper!
I have seen more than several times a widebody ( 777, 787, etc) throttle up hard to start taxiing and a even with it sitting level the jet blast where it hit the ground picked up about 500 pounds of asphalt from the ramp that was starting to fail and blew it in chunks all over the ramp, leaving a 5X8 foot crater that we had to cover with steel plates till I could get my paving contractor in to repair it. I'm surprised the plates don't blow away but they are really heavy and they usually stay more or less where we put them. I think a 5X10 road plate weighs 2 or 3 tons, I know we have to handle it with a big forklift, the little ones wont pick them up.
I lost a windshield that way one day, I was crossing one of our taxiways and cut a little too close behind a 737, he throttled up as he turned and blew a chunk of pavement back and destroyed the windshield of my brand new truck, oh well, it happens.

Yep ;

I've seen that Ford truck video before too .

The one where the guy was sucked in, he was walking under the wing, a thing I'd never do if the engine was running even if I hadn't seen the safety video .

I've seen D.W.P. videos of guys getting electrocuted too, plus the very few who survived were in such bad shape I'd have rather died .

• Sad
Reactions: Retired Guy
I'm not sure 'fun' is the correct adjective there.....

If we get to pass laws, let's make it to where bees are not allowed to sting people.
I’m out in the country and my neighbor is a bee keeper with 4 hives. Probably why my blueberry bushes and peach tree are laden every year. Thank God for bees!
Anyways, the bees are actually kinda friendly. I’ll be sitting on the porch and one will land on me to rest. I’ll just talk to him, “hey there bee, how you be?”, and he flies off after a bit. Not very conversational.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
There is a clear difference between honey bees and meat bees... I can even hear the difference. I never mind the former, but the latter are a great bother.

Whatever happened to "killer bees" coming up from S. America? I remember hearing couple decades ago that they were going to kill everything larger than household dogs?

They're here in California, North of Los Angeles, Bakersfield etc .

Yes indeedy it is ! .

That's why it's jam packed with fruits, nuts and flakes....

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.