Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Suzuki DR Z400S, 2002 BMW R1150RS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was chatting on the telephone with a friend this afternoon. Said friend is a fellow ham radio operator and avid listener to the Ravalli County Dispatch radio traffic. Today she is ONCE AGAIN trying to spin my wife into a frenzy of fear. "Three motorcyclists were seriously injured or killed on Highway 93 this week" or something like that. 'Disable his motorcycles or attempt to disallow his riding' were her main messages. (Both, by the way, as likely as preventing the sunrise)

I live in SW Montana, 33 miles from the Idaho border on some of the sweetest segments of Highway 93 that exist.

I quietly listened to their conversation and pondered how to bridge the logic gap that oftentimes exists between men and women, husbands and wives.

Incredibly, I apparently came up with an approach that worked. (Color me surprised - this almost never happens)

"If I spent an hour in Darby sipping coffee, how many motorcycles could I count?
50? 100?
Let's just say 800 a day for discussion's sake.
Sharon hears of 3 motorcycle wrecks in 3 days.
So one a day.
That works out to about one tenth of one percent.
Being killed by lightening is as likely."

I was very much surprised that this logic made it through the Male/Female LOGIC BARRIER.
She relaxed a bit on the topic.

She will forget this conversation.
I will have to repeat it.
Over and over until winter turns off my urge to ride motorcycles.
But I may have discovered a templet to employ on those occasions.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
514 Posts
Riding drunk or riding stupid account for a good share of motorcycle fatalities and injuries. For those occasions where it's not the motorcyclists fault, riding with no helmet or other riding gear can turn a minor injury into a major injury or death. It ain't rocket science.

·
Registered
Honda VFR1200X (sold), only mod was "The BoosterPlug".
485 Posts
My wife was chatting on the telephone with a friend this afternoon. Said friend is a fellow ham radio operator and avid listener to the Ravalli County Dispatch radio traffic. Today she is ONCE AGAIN trying to spin my wife into a frenzy of fear. "Three motorcyclists were seriously injured or killed on Highway 93 this week" or something like that. 'Disable his motorcycles or attempt to disallow his riding' were her main messages. (Both, by the way, as likely as preventing the sunrise)

I live in SW Montana, 33 miles from the Idaho border on some of the sweetest segments of Highway 93 that exist.

I quietly listened to their conversation and pondered how to bridge the logic gap that oftentimes exists between men and women, husbands and wives.

Incredibly, I apparently came up with an approach that worked. (Color me surprised - this almost never happens)

"If I spent an hour in Darby sipping coffee, how many motorcycles could I count?
50? 100?
Let's just say 800 a day for discussion's sake.
Sharon hears of 3 motorcycle wrecks in 3 days.
So one a day.
That works out to about one tenth of one percent.
Being killed by lightening is as likely."

I was very much surprised that this logic made it through the Male/Female LOGIC BARRIER.
She relaxed a bit on the topic.

She will forget this conversation.
I will have to repeat it.
Over and over until winter turns off my urge to ride motorcycles.
But I may have discovered a templet to employ on those occasions.

View attachment 75392
Took a few MSF classes with wifey (together). She's fear-free when I go riding and a much better passenger when she comes with me.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,184 Posts
I've been a rider for 40 years, but I don't live under the delusion that riding is as safe as driving a car or truck. Riding a motorcycle is inherently more dangerous, and while the danger can be managed it is still there. The biggest risk in a car accident is being thrown out of the car, when riding a motorcycle we are already "out" of the vehicle. I've had only one "accident" in all my years of riding, and that was caused by a mechanical problem caused apparently by gravel kicked up from the road, but I know that an actuary would raise my expected years of life if I gave up motorcycling. I do not intend to give up riding, but in truth its a lot more risky that concern over being hit by lightning.

Reactions: -Nate

·
Zip
3,100 Posts
I think @wwb summed it up very nicely in post #2. The risk is certainly there, but we can reduce it greatly by being smart. To what @wwb said, I'll add this: be diligent with your T-CLOCS inspections. Equipment failures very very rarely happen all of a sudden; they generally give you some warning, and you need to be paying attention.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,184 Posts
Being smart can mean a lot of things. Don't drink and ride. Wear protective gear. Don't ride in groups of idiots. Don't ride in the rain at night if possible, and in fact, avoid riding at night if possible. Don't ride when you're tired or preoccupied. Get training. Slow down.

·
On The Road Again!
4,734 Posts
When someone tries to tell me they are dangerous, I grab my head in mock horror, eyes wide open and say, "These things are DANGEROUS???? Oh NO!!! Why didn't you tell me that 54 years and 350,000 miles ago??? THINK OF THE DANGER I'VE BEEN IN!! "
End of discussion.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,184 Posts
Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. Ride carefully.

Reactions: -Nate

·
Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
77 Posts
Being smart can mean a lot of things. Don't drink and ride. Wear protective gear. Don't ride in groups of idiots. Don't ride in the rain at night if possible, and in fact, avoid riding at night if possible. Don't ride when you're tired or preoccupied. Get training. Slow down.
Exactly. Been riding +40-yrs and always make sure I take every precaution possible. Never assume others see me and definitely not assume that they will follow traffic rules properly. Heck, had plenty of cases where they actively tried to crash me! Keep alert!! :)

Life is full of dangers. It's about assessing risks and mitigating them. If you never leave house, you'll never get into traffic accident or get stung by bees or hit by lightning!! Someone should do something about that pesky lightning, pass a law or somethin'

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It you never leave house, you'll never get into traffic accident or get stung by bees or hit by lightning!! Someone should do something about that pesky lightning, pass a law or somethin'
The house may not make you safe, twice over the years lightening has come into the house I was at and I think it was after me!!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Fear is used all the time in an effort to get people to do one thing or another. The wife was listening to the evening news a couple days ago and I don't know how many times I heard them say "People are afraid..." or "There is a fear of..."

I don't remember what "they" were so afraid of but "they" should keep "their" fears to themselves. Go to their safe rooms or whatever they call them.

·
Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
77 Posts
fear is major component in advertising and sublimial messages.

"oh no! you won't be able to keep up with the Jones unless you buy our <blah blah> product"
"your kids won't be able to keep up in school!"
"you won't be happy unless you have this!"

·
Registered
767 Posts
Drunk. No helmet. Eliminate those factors and the death rate on motos in my area drops to near zero. Even my 92-year-old mom acknowledges that, yep, I am likely pretty safe, the way I ride ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts