Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a motorcycle which has a carburetor and is not fuel-injection. It was running fine yesterday. Today it started briefly but then died. I couldn't get it to start either with the electric starter or the kick starter. The kick starter makes the motor turn, but it just doesn't start.

I checked the cable attached to the spark plug and it is connected.

One thing to note is that I checked the oil right before this happened. I don't know if the chamber holding the oil needs to be pressurized, but I closed it pretty tightly.

I checked the emergency shut-off and it is fine. I checked the gas tank and I can visibly see the tank is 3/4 full.

As I said, if I try to kick start it, it just won't start. If I use the electric starter you can hear the starter trying to start it, but it just doesn't start.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Braden

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE!

I got the motorcycle to start, but it took awhile, and it made my leg very very tired. I kept trying to kick start it while twisting the accelerator.

At first it sputtered a few times and then died. Eventually, I got it to start, but it would only stay started if I kept the engine reved(sp) up. If I let go of the accelerator it would die.

After awhile I got it to where it would start and would stay working if I left the engine idle without reving(sp) it.

In the end, it worked even with the electric starter.

What do you think caused my problem?

Thanks!
Braden

·
Registered
122 Posts
Kind of sounds like there was something blocking the carbs, maybe rust particles from the tank? What bike is it and what is the history of the bike?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it possible I flooded the engine?

I forget what make and model it is. It has a 125cc engine on it. I am living in the Philippines, so I bought a cheap one because you never know what is going to be stolen here, especially if they see a white guy riding it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
could of been flooded, but I don't think you would have had to keep revving it to keep it going once it did start.

I'm no mechanic, but to me it seems like maybe there was something clogging a jet in the carb that eventually passed through when you kept trying to start it. Is there any rust in the tank? If so, is there an inline fuel filter between the tank and carbs?

A 125, does that have a single carb?

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
If it happens again, do a couple of things. Check for a fuel smell out of the tail pipe and pull the plug and see if its gas wet. Sometimes a crappy plug will pull that stunt. At least that is something cheap to eliminate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had a similar problem with a CG125.
I was riding along as normal got into 4th then maybe 5th and at about 50mph or so (yeh it only goes 60 something at best lol, but it's a small bike) suddenly the bike started to lose power and slow down. Wouldn't go over 30 as I was scooting along the road.then as I got closer to my destination I thought I would slow down and pull over, I thought I maybe saw some smoke behind me, or I might have been seeing things. It stopped and I haven't been able to start it again since (I had to push the thing 3 miles home). I went and got a new spark plug for it as I've had problems with it fouling these up in the past, although the most recent one seems to have lasted a while. It did have spark though when I came back to the bike with some tools and a new plug.
There's no problem with fuel supply from the tank (haven't checked the carbs yet), and when the plug is out you can smell the petrol in the cylinder, and can see it's sorta wet in there (a bit dark and sooty too, although it's always been like that in the past).
So I'm wondering if it's compression. Is it possible for a head gasket or something like that to blow so suddenly and stop the bike from being startable?
Or have I flooded the engine?
Or maybe as it was sat out for a night or two when it snowed heavy here, maybe some water got in the carbs/engine. It felt like I was running out of fuel when it slowed and stopped, that is it was a gradual loss of power getting more and more sluggish lol.
It's a kickstart only bike, by the way.
Any advice welcome!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts