Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Honda Cbr 250, it has less than 500 miles on it total and I can't get it to start. It will start turning over but wont fully start, if I spray starting fluid in it it will start for a moment but wont stay on. I've checked the spark plug and it's still good and I think it's a fuel injector or fuel pump problem.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Does it have a fuel petcock, and is it turned on?
Is there plenty of fuel in the tank?
If it will run with starter fluid, you may have a fuel pump problem, but check the fuse to make sure it's not blown.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Just read your post again, 5 year old bike with only 500 miles. If its been sitting around for a while without some kind of fuel stabilizer in it, your whole fuel system may just need a good cleaning.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,818 Posts
How old is the fuel?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it have a fuel petcock, and is it turned on?
Is there plenty of fuel in the tank?
If it will run with starter fluid, you may have a fuel pump problem, but check the fuse to make sure it's not blown.
No it does not, I'll check the fuses today!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just read your post again, 5 year old bike with only 500 miles. If its been sitting around for a while without some kind of fuel stabilizer in it, your whole fuel system may just need a good cleaning.
How would I go about that? Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm new to motorcycles

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,172 Posts
Starting on starting fluid but not running is a definite sign of fuel system problems. That's a fuel injected bike so I would also be leaning towards fuel pump problems.

A basic fuel system clean would be emptying the tank of the old fuel, replacing it with fresh fuel, then putting some cleaner in the fuel like seafoam. But if the fuel is only a month or two old I doubt that's your problem.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Do you hear a buzzing noise when you turn the key on? You should be able to hear the fuel pump bring up the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you hear a buzzing noise when you turn the key on? You should be able to hear the fuel pump bring up the fuel pressure.
My Victory is also fuel injected. It may be notable for a new rider to clarify that the buzzing noise happens after turning on the fuel/disengaging the killswitch. If your bike is parked and off, your killswitch should be engaged, so just turning the key on won't do anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts