Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1999 Gsxr SRAD 750. i used 10w 40 oil,replaced the clutch cable and plates and the bike wont move. i got the bike about a month ago, and it rode perfectly one time. the next time i hopped on her( about 3 hours after she was riding fine) she would barely move. I noticed the clutch was starting to smell burnt, so i took her back to the garage. I did a full clutch change and now when i adjust it at the 3 adjustment points i can either get a fully engaged clutch, or a fully disengaged one. I am pretty sure the plates are i correctly, since i used the partszilla schematics to put everything back. Any ideas?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Even if everything is put together in the proper order, if the friction plates go in backwards (flipped around like heads and tails on a coin), the grooves will change orientation and wont lubricate properly. (At least on most wet clutches, maybe not all)
Could this have happened?

·
Premium Member
5,290 Posts
Was that 10w40 oil rated for motorcycle use (JASO), or oil meant for cars?
Also, the adjustments have to be done in the right order. Go back over your procedure to see which should logically be done first, with consideration given to how the hardware works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used Motorcycle oil, but it was cheap oil. And in regards to the clutch,I suppose it could have been they were backwards, I'll flip them and see

1 - 5 of 5 Posts