Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum, I recently purchased a chineese motorcycle (CR-4 Loncin) it's a 250cc motorcycle. I was doing it's first service for oil change but notice it doesn't have an oil filter, instead it has like mesh filter (kinda like a mosquito door) placed inside where the oil drain bolt in place with a spring... So all of that comes out when the oil is changed so all I do is clean the mesh "filter" and reuse it.

I've never seen a motorcycle without the regular paper filters, does anyone have experience with this?
Is it normal? Doesn't have any positives or negatives vs a regular paper oil filter?

·
Visionary
5,272 Posts
Well I guess it will catch anything really big that's floating around in there, loose hardware or a stray ball bearing that's rolling around inside :).
I'm sure it will be fine, looks like a pretty small mesh.

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is what it all looks like.....
That's a common arrangement on smaller single cylinder bike engines.
Our Keeway 125 had a similar setup.

The oil filter plug/cover is aluminium alloy. I have seen a few
reports of damage from cross-threading or excessive tightening.
Take care when refitting.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Wot ZX said. It is common on small engines. Most bikes did not have filters prier to the 79 Honda CB750. They collected sludge in the sludge traps in the cranks. If not cleaned about every 50,000 miles, the oil galleries plugged and your usually reliable BMW exploded. The warning here is, if you do not know a lot about old bikes, and small bikes, then Caveat Emptor. Which at this time of year can mean let the shopping begin. But that is not the correct meaning.
My trail 90 has a filter screen like that.

UK

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
My XT225 has a similar screen at the drain plug like the one in your picture. It is referred to in the service manual as a strainer. It also has a separate internal oil filter at a different location. That needs to be removed and cleaned at every oil change, and replaced after 5 cleanings.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
I had a bike once upon a time like that and added a Neodymium magnet to the drain plug, you would be better for it if you can buy one that way you dont have to worry about getting all the oil off the surface of the drain before you ad the glue (I used epoxy).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts