Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cold weather is coming and for some has already arrived. Sometimes knowing makes it worse, but for those who are interested, here's a windchill chart for riders.

·
Registered
809 Posts
That is wild! I was riding at 75mph last night in 47F temps - according to that chart it should have felt like ... approximately 22F??? I wasn't cold at all. My leather jacket and gloves must be way better than I thought...? Or the chart is off? Even very small areas of exposed skin (between my full face helmet and jacket) didn't seem THAT cold... I was wearing jeans ... Didn't seem TOO cold. I'm confused.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Its interesting that it actually gets warmer riding at 95 degrees and higher. I always suspected that. I'd much rather ride when its cool. I can always add clothing layers. But at some point I'll get arrested if I take too many layers off. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
Chilly

I think the wind chill charts are for bare skin.
That is not the case for riding. We can put enough on to resemble an unheated cage. At just over 100 mph the cold scale warms up a bit. Read that bit.
At over 90 mph and 100 F the wind does cool you down. Done this part.

When I am on the top deck of the ferry doing 19 knots, it is colder standing there, than when I am riding the bike.

Unkle Crusty*

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Humidity plays a major roll in how we feel temps too. As Crusty points out. Sorta.

·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the wind chill charts are for bare skin.
That is not the case for riding.

I believe this is correct. Wind chill has no affect on inanimate objects. The parts we cover up are unaffected, but the wind can certainly carry warmth off quicker than when standing still.

Humidity plays a major roll in how we feel temps too. As Crusty points out. Sorta.
Agreed.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Say again?

How could the "motorcycle wind chill" be 65F when the ambient air temp was 47F? You are saying that cranking the bike up to 75 mph made it feel 18 degrees F warmer??

--

No, it would have felt like 65°. You weren't reading the chart correctly.

--

·
Ace Tuner
2,938 Posts
Interesting, wish the chart went higher than 100 degrees.

Riding in the Arizona desert at 115~120 degrees your clothes get some kind of HOT! Your belt buckle gets almost too hot to touch.
When you get home to the A/C all you want to do is get those hot clothes off so you can cool off.
Wonder what the heat factor is at 65 MPH and 120 degrees?
I know, wrong time of year but still.......... Just wondering.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I do too. It normally doesn't get that hot here, just 110, but even so, I find it hard to get those close off with the amount I sweat in them. Close just stick to me. What would I do without air conditioning though. I feel sorry for those that get into the 90's that don't have one which has been happening. I think those of us that live where there's heat can handle it better too. Fact is, I prefer it. I can always get cool. I can't always get warm. Not for quite some time anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just my tip when preparing for a cold weather ride is to start off just a little cold, after about XX minutes of pedaling, you'll warm up quite nicely. If you overdress, overheating can be uncomfortable.

·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The best thing about riding in the cold is it feels soooo good when you stop! :biggrin:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Read this Iron Butt Association article on riding in high temps. It's not a chart, but it talks about the relationship between cooling, evaporation, temps and speed.

Interesting, wish the chart went higher than 100 degrees.

Riding in the Arizona desert at 115~120 degrees your clothes get some kind of HOT! Your belt buckle gets almost too hot to touch.
When you get home to the A/C all you want to do is get those hot clothes off so you can cool off.
Wonder what the heat factor is at 65 MPH and 120 degrees?
I know, wrong time of year but still.......... Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
Hot and cold.

I've been hot and I've been cold. I like hot better. Got sidetracked here. Sitting in a stuck chair lift at 7000 feet, wind blowing, minus enough the lift operators are checking for frozen cheeks. 20 minutes later was not warming up. Feet had lost contact with bod. Probably a good footy game on TV at home.

Years ago I pulled into a gas station on my bike of the day. Was November in the BC interior. About 8pm. Got too cold. Stopped and promptly fell over.
Went inside, got coffee. By the time I got it to my mouth it was cold, much of it spilled from my shaking.

Hottest was at Portland track. Race delayed, sitting on 250 Yamaha, 102 F, full black leathers. Was not comfortable. Most of us saying, lets get this thing started. Otherwise 105 on a dirt bike was the hottest for me.

Unkle Crusty* Getting the winter bike ready for action in late November.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

As to cold, UC, I've often said that if we could eliminate Canada, the world would be a lot warmer. :p

--

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
Arctic air.

--

As to cold, UC, I've often said that if we could eliminate Canada, the world would be a lot warmer. :p

--
Yup. We just love sending that Arctic air down south. Average year round temperature of the prairies is freezing.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
It will feel even colder tonight on the ride home from work because of the deer out because of harvest. Will make the speed lower and the ride take longer, so the time spent in the cooler temps will be longer. Last night there were five deer on the road, and none of them were in any hurry to get out of the way. Not to mention the possum and raccoons that are everywhere.

But it's still a ride!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts