Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I can't understand is why guys can ignore basic common sense antitheft measures. My friend has had two motorcycles stolen from him. Both of them had the key sitting in the ignition, one the the bike was idling for 5 mins when he ran in his house...

I had a friend who always had nice cars he put a lot more time and money into he would always just leave the car running doors unlocked as he strolled into wawa.

The other day I hung out with a new kid, amd we went into my house. As we did I asked if he had his cycle key and he didn't! Come on guys...it was sitting in the bike. He said he lived in a good neighborhood...

Good or not you are basically begging for theft. Use some common sense guys.

I also know a man who had a large garage closed locked with cycles fully chain locked up and no keys in any of the bikes. Someone broke in and got a lot of his bikes.

If someone wants to steal they will do it, but keys in the ignition? The vehicle still idling?

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Something else to consider is if your phone is attached to your bike when some guy bike jacks u, u wont be able to call the cops. just something to think about. Maybe an emergency phone or a gun to shoot the guy off (like ive seen quite a lot of times happen) are a good idea.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,983 Posts
Maybe folks that leave the key in the ignition are HOPING the bike gets stolen so that they can collect the insurance and buy a new bike. I never leave the key in the ignition, not even when the bike is in my own garage. Years ago I always used a disc lock on the bike. But one time forgetting it was there, where I rolled forward about a foot and then went down and damaged my brake disc was enough to stop using any external lock. I lock the fork and remove the ignition key. If a thief still steals it, then I'll file an insurance claim and have the fun of figuring out what bike I want to buy. But all things considered, I hope my bike is not stolen.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I had a bike stolen once, a long time ago. It lived outside the apartment in a seemingly okay area, and it was locked and covered. I think some fellows came in a pickup truck and just threw it in the back. I found some broken bits of the turn signals in the driveway.

Insurance covered the financial loss, but it was still a sad day. Other than chain it up, I am not sure what else would have helped under the circumstances.

The new bike has keyless entry, which is very convenient but which I worry could be hacked.

·
Nightfly
4,622 Posts
No matter what you may do to protect your bike, it can be stolen, there is no guarantee. I know of what I speak. Locked in a garage with 2 other bikes, also chained to a pole inside that garage, door locked and security camera on duty. All 3 bikes were taken. I found mine a couple months later laying in the weeds down by the river, stripped of all thing valuable. For whatever reason they did not take the engine block. Since I'm not financially well off I'm still working on getting it back on the road. Hopefully this summer....

·
Premium Member
10,060 Posts
If you own a ******* truck or bike, it will not get stolen. There is rarely enough gas in them to get far enough away. If it was not already running, no one could get it started.
I used a heavy chain around a small bike and a parking meter. Two big guys picked up the bike and slid the chain over the top. I was watching from the liquor. We all thought it was funny.
I never had a key for the doors, or the ignition on my wheels in NZ. It was an ex hearse. No one touched it.
Kids these days could never start an old kick start bike, so you are safe there.

UK

·
Registered
384 Posts
My son had his bike stolen when he was in the Navy stationed in Virginia. It was in the parking lot of his complex on a very well lit and busy street. Never did find out who stole it. When I was a kid I had my moped stolen off the front patio. It was found about 2 days later off the embankment of a back road about 5 miles away.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I never worry about that stuff. I forget **** all the time. I came home from work today and found I had left the garage door wide open. Oops.

I think a better question is, why are you so worried about someone else's bike?

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Something else to consider is if your phone is attached to your bike when some guy bike jacks u, u wont be able to call the cops. just something to think about. Maybe an emergency phone or a gun to shoot the guy off (like ive seen quite a lot of times happen) are a good idea.
"or a gun to shoot the guy off (like ive seen quite a lot of times happen) are a good idea."

Seriously?

You've seen that happen a lot of times?

A good idea?

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im worried about someone elses bike because i like paying low insurance. every single cycle claim raises the average rate. plus if a buke gets stolen next to mine due to a key in the ignition it probably would encourage ppl to start looking at mine and be more bold w theft.

i haven't seen it first hand but yes their are many videos of motorcycle theifs being shot to death shortly after stealing a motorcycle. Frequently it's the rider doing the shooting. Yes it is a fantastic idea to kill bad people.

That being said watch your background. Seen a video of an off duty police lady next to a lady getting her purse stolen at gun point. She shot the man 5 or so times and virtually every single shot had some innocent person or child directly behind the bad dude. Sometimes it is better to just let the guy go. Luckily all bullets caught the bad dude and he bled out.

Someone who robs people at gun point has a high chance of killing someone. If you don't think they need to be stopped permanently asap I guess we just disagree.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Insurance covered the financial loss, but it was still a sad day.
It is always bad to have a bike stolen. My bikes are now just old enough that
I wouldn't be able to make a claim on the fire & theft cover. After deducting the
policy excess, the insurance payout wouldn't cover the loss of no-claims discount
and loading on future insurance policies.

Other than chain it up, I am not sure what else would have helped under the circumstances.
You can only do so much. I lock mine to a ground anchor using a hardened security chain.
I also have a high quality disc lock on the front wheel. The steering is locked and alarm-immobilizer
is always set. At night, there are two parked cars blocking the exit. I never oil the hinges of our
front gate. If anyone tries to open it, the dog will go off like a hand grenade.

The new bike has keyless entry, which is very convenient but which I worry could be hacked.
There are two separate categories of bike thief here in Ireland. The first are just degenerate
scum who steal bikes for fun. They tend to take older bikes or off-road bikes which are
generally easier to steal. The other group are professional thieves who are only interested
in newer high value machines. They won't be deterred by disc locks, electronic immobilizers,
trackers etc.... They will lift the bike into a van or break into the owners house and steal
the keys. The bikes are exported outside the country, complete or as parts.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
im worried about someone elses bike because i like paying low insurance. every single cycle claim raises the average rate. plus if a buke gets stolen next to mine due to a key in the ignition it probably would encourage ppl to start looking at mine and be more bold w theft.

i haven't seen it first hand but yes their are many videos of motorcycle theifs being shot to death shortly after stealing a motorcycle. Frequently it's the rider doing the shooting. Yes it is a fantastic idea to kill bad people.

That being said watch your background. Seen a video of an off duty police lady next to a lady getting her purse stolen at gun point. She shot the man 5 or so times and virtually every single shot had some innocent person or child directly behind the bad dude. Sometimes it is better to just let the guy go. Luckily all bullets caught the bad dude and he bled out.

Someone who robs people at gun point has a high chance of killing someone. If you don't think they need to be stopped permanently asap I guess we just disagree.
I can't control insurance prices. And I can't control what someone else is going to do. This is how your OP came across to me, that people should do what you do and they are stupid if they don't. That's why it rubbed me the wrong way. If I have to go around and tell everyone what to do with their bike in order to save $20 a month, I'd rather just pay the $20.

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
would u rather a motorcycle stolen right next to yours or not? I could care less ultimately but how hard is it to warn someone hey leaving ur key in ur bike in my neighborhood might get ur bike stolen. He asked what potential reason i could justify it and so i did.

maybe furthermore im not a complete jerk and i try to care for people in my company. i actually care if a buddies bike gets stolen. at the very least it would have ruined my plans that day to ride with the kid. probably would have hung around as a courteousy to the fact he couldnt ride and would have to file a police report.

When my buddies bikes got stolen it took at least a month before he had a new set of wheels. I mean yea I could still ride, but it sucked we couldn't together. I think it even took two or three months.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts