Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My knowledge regarding fixing/adjusting anything on bikes is very limited. I've had a Yamaha Fz150i for a while and always had this impression that my bike sits low. I recently noticed another Fz150i parks nearby so I had a look at it and it definitely looks and feels taller. What causes a bike to be lower or higher ? I've had the rear monoshock replaced and didn't notice any change. Tires on my and the other bike are the same size. However, I saw this other bike had a non-stock rear monoshock. Could this be the reason ? Or was my local Yamaha mechanic right when he said it's the wheel bearings (or at least that's what I understood - language barrier).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, I'm the 3rd owner I believe.

It might be because people are quite short here. Any way I can tell if such a kit has been installed? Assuming that's the case, is it possible to go back to the original setup ?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Unfortunately, I am no mechanic. But I do know there are a number of different lowering kits available, so a bit of internet research and a careful look-over of the bike's suspension might give you a clue. That, or a side-by-side comparison with a known-to-be-stock bike. I would think converting it back to stock would be doable.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Nah, I'm the 3rd owner I believe.

It might be because people are quite short here. Any way I can tell if such a kit has been installed? Assuming that's the case, is it possible to go back to the original setup ?
If the change was made using after market parts that were switched out, you should be able to get an OEM part and switch it back. I suggest you get a user manual and if available a service manual. Those reference will provide the OEM specs for your bike. You most likely misunderstood the mechanic, or you should get a second opinion from another shop, even if that shop isn't a Yamaha dealer. Wheel bearings would make very little difference in height, regardless of the condition.

Common adjustments that will effect static and/or ride height, not yet mentioned....

Adjusting the front forks preload or rear shock preload.
Adjusting the position of the front forks in the triple tree.
Changing the dog bones. (link between the frame and rear suspension).
Changing the suspension oil or age of the oil.
Changing the position of the seat, shape of the seat, or brand of seat.

There are others that may make a small difference, but I think these are the most common.

·
American Legion Rider
25,895 Posts
When you say you replaced the rear shock, did you replace it with the same length? You can often gain height by putting a longer shock in if one is made for your bike.
The reverse by installing a shorter shock would lower it. That's a quick and easy way to lower one. But doing that you would also want to change the forks most likely but some like the look of a raked style.
Being a third owner there’s a lot that may have been done so time to get a shop manual and do some part number comparisons. Or try to get in touch with previous owners.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
The dual shocks on my XS1100 are available in 12 12.5 and 13 inches. Probably 11.5 too. The front forks can vary by about 1.5 inches. Some of the clever suspension folks can shorten a mono shock. I may consider this when Noddy is being painted.

UK

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your answers. I took it to another mechanic today and they said they could raise the bike by a few cm and recommended I put bigger tires on. They claim installing something like 140 on the back (120 original) is the best way to go, but is it really ? It's going to affect the performance, isn't it ?

One thing I'd like to know is if every rear monoshock is adjustable for preload. The mechanic today either didn't speak enough English to explain or wasn't willing to talk about it in detail :D

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
A bigger rear tyre will increase the circumference which will raise the gear ration and make the bike work harder in top gear. Not a good idea IMO, and probably cost more than other options.

UK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts