Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in short.. i laid my gsxr 1000 down about a month ago. I wasn't going more than 15 mph. Most damage was cosmetic. So I rode it to the shop to assess the damage. I didn't want to go through insurance so I told the guy to look over the whole bike and give me a list of everything that needed to be done. When he called me back I needed fairings a new footrest etc. the guy said I had a little scrape on my front rim but that it was okay and didn't need to be replaced. So I did the rest of the work and had new tires put on (I needed them anyway). He balanced the tires and didn't mention any problems. So I go pick the bike up and ride it for a little and immediately realize that my bars are shaking at over 50 mph. So I brought the bike back and we were looking at the bike together briefly and he noticed that my front fork seal on the left side was leaking and that there was a very very small bump in my fork stem. He said that the bump is most likely causing the problem and that the fork should be replaced. (The fork retails at $2100). So I decided to take his word and just replace it. The parts came in and he installed the fork and I paid for it and rode off.. I get down the street and it's still doing the same thing!! So I bring it back and he said he was going to take everything apart and look for anything else that could be wrong. Turns out.. it's the rim! So I basically just replaced the fork for nothing. I may have needed my fork seals done but not my entire fork for $2100. My question is should I be compensated for him not realizing the rim was defective before I spent all this money for nothing?. Because I would not have replaced the fork if I didn't have to. Any input would be appreciated thank you. I want to demand a refund for the fork but don't know if they are liable for refunding me

·
Registered
316 Posts
He said that the bump is most likely causing the problem and that the fork should be replaced. (The fork retails at $2100). So I decided to take his word and just replace it.
I can so understand your frustration, but think the statement above shows where the responsibility lies. It doesn't appear the shop did anything to mislead you, and you knowingly gambled on his "most likely" response being correct. Perhaps the fork WAS most likely the problem, but in this case it wasn't. One option would've been to say, "what will happen if the $2,100 fork doesn't fix the problem?"... only you probably wouldn't have liked their presumed "no guarantee" response, and might have ended up in the same position.

Very tough situation, and don't know how this experience helps you (or me) avoid it in the future. If you aren't an expert on your bike, then you have to trust someone else and accept the consequences. It sucks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts