Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys,
I am new here.
And I wanted to ask something about motorcycle security.
I have watched a video from Freddie Dobbs about sizzapp tracker:

and it looks pretty nice to me. Maybe someone is using this one? How do you like it?
all the comments are more than welcome.
thanks)))

·
Registered
05 R46, & Fully worked 03 CBR954RR
5 Posts
Sorry, don't use it and never heard of it, but welcome to the forum from Arkansas.
"G'Day there"!
I've owned bikes for ages, & I've always found the easy road is always the best, where & have a 6mm hex key on my key ring
& when parking my bike at work I'll pop the seat & unscrew the ($4) security battery joiner, & pop the seat back on (3 minutes to perform)
& that bike will not start until put back together, & the bike's steering is locked, & the $10 alarm is still on, where you just sneeze & it's 120DBA
loud!! & this all of $14 security put on every one of my bike's has had me Zero of my bike's taken from my home or in a public area.
Some of my bike club members have put these expensive security contraptions that shut off the ignition on theirs,
& i the end, their theft insurance wasn't any cheaper than mine ? That KISS way of doing things, is usually the best.
"Keep it on 2 wheels rider"
C.P.Webb

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,030 Posts
Years ago I used to religiously put a disc lock on the wheel of my bike whenever I parked it somewhere, until one day I forgot it was there and tried to ride away. Did some real damage to the brakes as well as scratched up the bike pretty good when it toppled over with the disc lock in place. Since then I decided to just make sure I had decent insurance so that if my bike were stolen, I would have the fun of shopping for a new motorcycle.

In over 40 years of riding I not only have never had a bike stolen, I've had anything stolen off my bike. That includes using saddlebags that don't lock and being parked overnight at a motel, or for a few hours at a restaurant. I don't go as far as leaving a nice leather jacket just laying on the bikes seat, or an expensive helmet resting on the bike's mirror, but I just generally do not worry about theft. With my current ride I have a locked hard storage area so that's where anything of value I have is kept, but if thieves steal the whole package, then I'm back into shopping for a brand new one!

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,030 Posts
What's a "hog leg"?

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
371 Posts
And it never hurts if a potential thief sees your packing a hog leg.
Ain't gonna see that I'm packing.... it's called "concealed carry". It's a Ruger .357 mag, but it doesn't matter - they're going to steal a bike when there's nobody around.

·
Registered
2015 FLHTCUL
21 Posts
Insurance.

gentlemen named larry weaver died trying to save his bike. Tragic loss.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,030 Posts
Solutions are not complicated. If you really want to discourage thieves from stealing your bike, you just have to make it more work than they are willing to expend. A think bike chain and lock is little deterrent, being easily cut with bolt cutters. Heavy steel cable or chain (and looped around some fixed object) might make it more work than its worth to the thief, but you have to be willing to haul around a heavy chain and padlock, and go through the effort of putting it and taking it off every time you park and leave your bike unattended. Getting a really heavy bike that even a couple of thieves cannot lift into a waiting truck or van is another deterring tactic. If you trike your bike, or add a sidecar, the whole rig will be far to big and heavy for easy thievery.

Similar to protecting a bike was a situation a co-worker had with her expensive sports car. Her rich husband had bought her a Ferrari as a first anniversary gift. She drove it to work just once to show it off to everyone. But she said she only drove it for pleasure, and never, ever left it parked unattended. It left her garage, was taken for a drive, and then returned to the safety of the garage. If she was going anywhere where she would have to leave it, like work, or grocery shopping, etc., she took a different car. So if you so value your motorcycle that you would be devastated if it were stolen, even if you were reimbursed full value by your insurance company, make sure you own two bikes and only ride the precious one when you will not be leaving it anywhere.

Reactions: -Nate

·
Registered
81 Posts
The topic is motorcycle security. A gun can be security for many things, including motorcycles.

A gun is not security for a motorcycle, as any responsible trained gun owner will tell you.

A gun is a tool of Last Resort. It is only to protect innocent life that is in imminent and immediate jeopardy.

You don`t pull a gun on someone in a parking lot that is messing with your motorcycle, you could easily wind up in jail, or dead.

Just keep your insurance paid up to date, lock the ignition and saddle bags, and don`t leave anything on it.

If a thief has decided that he is going to take your motorcycle, he will take it.

Don`t put Harley logos on an enclosed motorcycle trailer, and use a Honda bike cover... :)

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I bet if you insulated the stand from ground and wired one up to your hydro panel, that would deter somebody from touching your bike a second time.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Most of the time I keep it in a locked garage, When not a home, it’s not in a locked garage. it’s a not very secure parking lot.
A cover. So not easy to see what kind of bike, traditional folklore says works quite well.
Pick a light spot rather than a dark corner. (Park beside a nicer bike)
I used to put a disk lock on. Until I lost the key. ( the most inconvenience was the walk back to workshop to borrow what I needed. About 5 10 min round trip, less than a minute to cut lock off, no harm to bike, lock NFG, nobody questioned me, using an angle grinder on a MC disk lock)
it will deter a causal thief, A determined pro thief looking for a particular bike. It’s gone.
I did pay a little xtra when I bought the bike to have S# etched on most major parts. Won’t stop it getting stolen but might make it less appealing than the bike next to it.
A tracker, why not, a pro can defeat but the bike next to it might be less hassle.
it’s insured.
My winter storage is slightly cheeper cause I keep it in garage.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts