Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The store from which I just purchased a Yamaha MT-07 and put money down on a Honda Monkey returned my deposit check. Long story but the shop may be on hard times. They simply stated cannot fulfill my request. I would take that at face value but I seriously doubt Honda is not going to produce sufficient machines to meet demand, even if it takes them months, I would be willing to wait for fulfillment.

Not going into the business of the business that returned my check, I hope all works well for them. But, what I am wondering, how has the motorcycle business changed? It seems there is a thinning of stores and a downsizing in general at least here in North America.

While I was in Germany recently for work, I noted there were many motorcycles being used for transportation, not sport and of course many people walking and (bi)cycling, again, as basic transportation. But, are North America and world unit sales down?

If so, why?

J

·
Registered
964 Posts
Unfortunately sales in general are way down and have been on a downward trend for the last several years. As a result, many shops are running on a very tight budget, while others are downsizing. Don't know how that would be a reason for not being able to fulfill your order for the new Honda Monkey though. I know the Monkey and the new Honda Cub are being produced in limited quantities, but from talking to the Honda Dealership (Haps) in Sarasota last month, they are not all presold. I was asking them about the new Cub in particular and not the new Monkey.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have noticed that a lot of motorcycle shops are specializing more these days. There is a local shop here that sells both Yamaha and Honda, but they don't carry Gold Wings, saying the margin on sales of GWs are too thin because of cut throat competition, and other dealers are making money on GW accessories and service, not much on the bikes themselves. They also carry only certain popular Yamaha models, such as FZ07, FZ09 and trail bikes.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Before I bought my bike I was considering a Yamaha SR400, I went to two shops. One said they didn't carry them regularly because they had a kick start only, but would order one and if I didn't like it, I wasn't on the hook to buy it as long as I bought something. The other one laughed, was super condescending in asking me who the hell would want one of those things, and tried to sell me something way outside my wheelhouse.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
The store from which I just purchased a Yamaha MT-07 and put money down on a Honda Monkey returned my deposit check...
Go back to that shop and shake that guy's hand. He's an honest guy.

Before I bought my bike I was considering a Yamaha SR400, I went to two shops. One said they didn't carry them regularly because they had a kickstart only, but would order one and if I didn't like it, I wasn't on the hook to buy it as long as I bought something. The other one laughed, was super condescending in asking me who the hell would want one of those things, and tried to sell me something way outside my wheelhouse.
I went to a Honda/Yamaha dealer a couple of weeks ago to get my annual safety inspection. It was like a ghost town. Lots of bikes and no buyers. They had an SR400 in the showroom. Nice looking bike.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I went to a Honda/Yamaha dealer a couple of weeks ago to get my annual safety inspection. It was like a ghost town. Lots of bikes and no buyers. They had an SR400 in the showroom. Nice looking bike.
Interesting. I couldn't find any here, new or used. They said they could get a 2015 or 2016 shipped in from another location, but it was the bland gray color. If he had had a blue one I might have done it.

At the time I was asking around, and someone said they had seen one sitting in a shop forever. After the whole thing, my take was that no one wants to kick start a bike anymore. I thought it was really cool. I wish my bike had a kick start.

·
American Legion Rider
21,150 Posts
Kick start is no big deal. I'd love one myself. But setting spark advance not so much. Get that wrong and things can break.:grin:

Reactions: ketchboy
1 - 7 of 7 Posts