Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Hero's are Remembered, Legends Never Die
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around California many of the training sites have a shortage of qualified motorcycle instructors. Apparently over the past few years there has not been enough trainings to fill the needs from attrition and with the big conversion to the new program this year some did not move forward.

We are hosting new instructor trainings at locations in the state and if becoming a part of the motorcycle training community sounds interesting get signed up.

Contact training sites that you might be intetested in working at (you are not limited to one) and they can get you all the information you need. This is a fun way to spend some time giving back to the riding community as well as making some extra money to help pay for farkles and toys.

If you have questions I will do my best to answer them!

David
CMSP Deputy Program Manager

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sites are still looking for interested candidates, I had another call yesterday, so get in touch with sites close to you if you want to take part!

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
With the rollover to Lee Parks I'm sure a fair number of folks near the end of their run as instructors probably decided to gracefully bow out as well.

It's a great gig and very rewarding. If you think you might want to then contact someone and you should be able to 'audit' a session to see what's involved.

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Actual training takes seven days, and some are set up seven days in a row, while some are split over two long weekends. In the end it is fun, and a way to also earn some money sharing something you love.

·
Registered
245 Posts
California no longer accepts the MSF as a sanctioned motorcycle school yes? What is the learning material difference from the BRC?

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
California no longer accepts the MSF as a sanctioned motorcycle school yes? What is the learning material difference from the BRC?
We have a Basic program (there is only so many ways to make a pumpkin pie) It is different in several ways, the Instructors now "Teach" not show videos and let the students figure things out on their own from a book. On the range we have 20 drills, and the test covers five drills. We place more emphasis on cornering with five cornering drills and we coach to a higher standard even in braking where we coach to maximum breaking. Our cornering methodology works on all corners, our braking methodology also works for all situations so we have a different philosophy about training. We do not want to teach people stuff at the basic level that we have to later un-teach at the intermediate or advanced level training.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,518 Posts
So you are teaching trail braking?

My instructors kept pulling me aside and telling me to stop doing it I wasn't supposed to know how

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you are teaching trail braking?

My instructors kept pulling me aside and telling me to stop doing it I wasn't supposed to know how
LOL, We do not teach Trail braking in the basic Classes, but we do in the advanced classes. For the Basic Classes we teach to release the rear brake if you lock it, we also coach them to achieve maximum breaking, not just to standard. We usually get the students stopping 30 to 50 percent better than standard.

We also coach proper riding posture including body position (Not knee dragging) just to move your center line inside the bikes center line.

·
Very Famous Person
9,694 Posts
--

Maybe I should get into it. I have my own form of cornering that might be useful. I know some riders use certain braking techniques or putting their knee down for stability and reference, but with my method it's good for older, overweight riders.

I call it the "squat turn." It's the movement of the major crossmember in order to control the angle of the bike. I think the name of the maneuver describes it well enough so I won't.

So, David, do you think I have a shot? :p

--

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,518 Posts
it would have to be the one on the bike or he would be referring to a minor cross member

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
So with braking, are you teaching them that most of your braking power is with the front brake or are you still relying on the idea of both brakes all the time? Just curious since that whole area is confusing when you start.

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So with braking, are you teaching them that most of your braking power is with the front brake or are you still relying on the idea of both brakes all the time? Just curious since that whole area is confusing when you start.
We are teaching that braking changes as you stop. Starts with both brakes, front increases pressure through the stop and rear decreases through the stop. Under maximum breaking (It varies by bike) You can achieve 100% on the front and 0% on the rear when you reach maximum braking.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Apparently over the past few years there has not been enough trainings to fill the needs from attrition and with the big conversion to the new program this year some did not move forward.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
We are teaching that braking changes as you stop. Starts with both brakes, front increases pressure through the stop and rear decreases through the stop. Under maximum breaking (It varies by bike) You can achieve 100% on the front and 0% on the rear when you reach maximum braking.
This is being taught in a beginner's class?

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is being taught in a beginner's class?
They place much more emphasis on both brakes, albiet 60-40 braking. For standards you are not going to want to get 100% braking out of the front lol.

I really do wish there was more emphasis on cornering.

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They place much more emphasis on both brakes, albiet 60-40 braking. For standards you are not going to want to get 100% braking out of the front lol.

I really do wish there was more emphasis on cornering.
We also have five drills that focus on cornering

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Sites in the Great San Diego Area are still looking for instructors, Feel free to let me know if anyone is interested and I will put you in touch with the right people!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts