Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.
my motorcycle its a kawasaki ninja 300 2 cylinder FI, mods on it, just headlights it only have 10 k miles on it.
I've had the problem for a while, it's starting to give me headaches, the problem only happens when I accelerate at half throttle(6k-7k rpm) to try to maintain a constant speed the bike seems to lose power and it doesn't matter how much i accelerate it seems that it only increases the air but not the fuel also sputtering a lots, this seems to disappear when give it full throttle or disconnect the regulator, I already tested the stator and it seems to be fine, it is a three-phase stator, test resistance (around 1.2 Ohm in the 3 phases without many changes), voltage (from arround 14 volts at idle 1500 rpm and up to about 80 volts at 5 k rpm on 3 phases) regulator by itself(not plugged in) output up to 16volts and experience some voltage drops to 2-5 volts(could be miss reading but not sure i place multimeter good on wires to test) battery ouput 12.5 volts(bike off) and up to 14.4 volts at 3k rpm soon as i turn headlights on voltage drops to 12.8 volts and increase when acelerating to 14.2 (also i can ear fuel pump slowing down when turn lights on and speed up when acelerating) already test for voltage drain( no problems here) all seems to point to bad regulator or bad battery first i see that the 3 yellow wires from stator where melted so i fix them and didnt fix my problem at all.
I came to think that there was a problem in the TPS but quickly left that idea because the bike works well without the regulator plugged in(only battery powering the motorcycle)
PD
battery light came for couple of miliseconds and desapear intermittly, sometimes checkengine came in when vent turns on.
today toke a long ride and figure out that battery was boiling acid.
HELP ME Please :C

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forget to mention that R/R was realocated when by the previous owner( maybe for heat problems, not sure) so i put it back to his original place

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My name is Oscar
I 22 years old
I live in Mexico

I ride a 2014 kawasaki ninja 300
I have come here looking for repair information

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
If the bike has sat idle for any length of time, maybe since 2014, you may need to clean the entire fuel system including the injectors and throttle body and drain and replace the fuel in the tank.

If the bike will run at a fair speed so not to be a safety hazard, you might try running it with a heavy dose of Seafoam or Star Tron, both might help but one or the other, not both.

But if it sat several years, a full fuel system cleaning is going to be called for given the rotten fuels of today.

Oh and...
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are a friendly site here. Well, most of us.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the bike has sat idle for any length of time, maybe since 2014, you may need to clean the entire fuel system including the injectors and throttle body and drain and replace the fuel in the tank.

If the bike will run at a fair speed so not to be a safety hazard, you might try running it with a heavy dose of Seafoam or Star Tron, both might help but one or the other, not both.

But if it sat several years, a full fuel system cleaning is going to be called for given the rotten fuels of today.

Oh and...
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are a friendly site here. Well, most of us.

Thanks for the quick answer, i already run seafom on it change sparkplugs, new oil, drain old fuel, and add new one.
But how you explain the battery boiling and that the bike runs fine when charging system is disconnected? could it be bad ground, bad battery, bad R/R or all of them? greetings

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
But how you explain the battery boiling
It might be too full to start with or the voltage regulator isn't working properly. But you will have to wait for the electrical gurus for further help there. I'd certainly clean and tighten all the grounds as that will contribute or cause electrical problems like you describe.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,507 Posts
Loose connection could vibrate causing voltage spikes, there are many brands especially Honda that it is a common mod to remove the plug at the regulator all together or to do a mosfit conversion.

On my goldwing until I installed a heads up voltmeter I had no idea it was spiking voltage. I have a voltmeter permanently mounted on my Blackbird now due to that experience.

Reactions: Oscaringlobin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Loose connection could vibrate causing voltage spikes, there are many brands especially Honda that it is a common mod to remove the plug at the regulator all together or to do a mosfit conversion.

On my goldwing until I installed a heads up voltmeter I had no idea it was spiking voltage. I have a voltmeter permanently mounted on my Blackbird now due to that experience.
Hi, thanks for the reply, like you say the connection was lose between stator and regulator also wires where melted so i hardwire them and didn't fix my problem, already order a new regulator.

·
Ace Tuner
3,578 Posts
Hi, thanks for the reply, like you say the connection was lose between stator and regulator also wires where melted so i hardwire them and didn't fix my problem, already order a new regulator.
Battery boiling = bad regulator that is putting out too much voltage.
Bike runs normal and okay with regulator disconnected would indicate that the bad regulator was putting in way too much voltage and screwing with the electrical systems.
Your new rec/reg should fix it.... Let us know if it does.
BTW. The battery might have been damaged and /or weakened due to excessive voltage.

S F

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Battery boiling = bad regulator that is putting out too much voltage.
Bike runs normal and okay with regulator disconnected would indicate that the bad regulator was putting in way too much voltage and screwing with the electrical systems.
Your new rec/reg should fix it.... Let us know if it does.
BTW. The battery might have been damaged and /or weakened due to excessive voltage.

S F
I will keep posting hoppe it get fixed when new regulator is installed, plus new battery will be installed. Thanks for the reply. Greetings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been investigating, and discovered that the symptoms at least some of them(power lose and no throttle response) are related to a failure in the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), I will place a voltmeter in the battery to monitor the voltage when the problem appears to corroborate that the fault is not in the regulator or the battery itself, I will test the sensor signal to look for anomalies

·
Ace Tuner
3,578 Posts
With your ohm meter connected to the wires of the unplugged TPS....
Most of the time when a TPS is giving trouble you will be able to see erratic (not smooth) numbers on your ohm meter as you slowly open the throttle from the closed position.

S F

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With your ohm meter connected to the wires of the unplugged TPS....
  1. Most of the time when a TPS is giving trouble you will be able to see erratic (not smooth) numbers on your ohm meter as you slowly open the throttle from the closed position.

S F
Thanks, looks like the TPS it's working I test it and show 2.75 k ohm at no throttle applied and up to 7.5 k ohm at Max throttle, smooth all the way up and all the way down no anomalies detected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tested the battery voltage, 14 - 14. 5 volts with the lights off, and 12.5 - 13.5 volts with the lights on all that at iddle, at 5k rpm the results seems to be similar except that voltage with lights on its between 13.8 - 14.4 volts, starter relay gets slightly hot, voltage drops to 12.2 volts when radiator fan came in and a little before that check engine light turns on for a couple of seconds then turns off, check the ground wire and it was a little bit lose, so i tight it, problems seems to be persisting, iddle its a little rough goes from 1200 rpm to 1500, when i acelerate to 5000 rpm and keep it there RPM fluctuate 500 +- rpm this seems to happend only when charging system is conected, bike its stable on battery only no sputtering, no rough idle and no fluctuations at rpm also battery light never came in, everything indicates that something in the charging system is causing the problem, I will place a new battery tomorrow and I will test the motorcycle with the charging system disconnected to corroborate that the problem does not persist.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
Any update to your problem? I can't see how the battery would cause a 500 rmp fluctuation but it is part of the electrical system so anything could affect it. I'd just be surprised though. 2014 bike says it has a computer and all that goes with it. I'm wondering if the high voltage corrupted the TPS(throttle position sensor) or maybe it's loose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.