Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I wanted to ask if this is a good idea. I've road a YBR 125 for 2 years on L plates. I've passed my A2 licence and now own a Kawasaki Z300. After two years i can do my A Licence and i wanted to get a VFR 800, maybe a 2005-2010 or whatever an older one. I was just wondering whether the 300 to 800 will be to big of a jump and i should maybe get a 600 first then the 800. What do you guys think?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I've been riding a little over a year and a half and spent my first year on the Ninja 300 before moving up to a CBR F4i (600). It was a bit of an adjustment but, by gradually pushing the bike's performance envelope, I acclimated to the heavier weight and significant jump in acceleration. I think as long as you take the time to get to know the new bike, whether it's an 800 or not, you will be fine. Two years on a 300 should be more than enough time to work on the fundamentals and I don't think there is much performance difference between a 6 or 800...

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have recently transitioned from a Honda CBR300R to a Suzuki Boulevard C50, a pretty good leap. I won't lie to you -- I was super-cautious for a week or so, just feeling out the bike. But by the end of the second week I was enjoying a pretty fair comfort level. Now, every ride brings smiles. Use your head, walk before you run, enjoy!

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,445 Posts
You know your skill level better than anyone but it sounds like you might be okay. I went from a Honda Twinstar to Honda Hawk to Harley Electra Glide. Power-wise about the same. Yes the last jump can't get you but respect the power and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey there, I wanted to ask if this is a good idea. I've road a YBR 125 for 2 years on L plates. I've passed my A2 licence and now own a Kawasaki Z300. After two years i can do my A Licence and i wanted to get a VFR 800, maybe a 2005-2010 or whatever an older one. I was just wondering whether the 300 to 800 will be to big of a jump and i should maybe get a 600 first then the 800. What do you guys think?

Thank you.
A 600 what? A 600SS vs a 800 adventure motorcycle? I have to say this a lot, a 600SS (super sport class) is not really a beginner motorcycle or a progression motorcycle. It could be an end point bike since many very experienced riders think the 600SS class is the Goldilocks combination of power, weight, speed, acceleration and agility.

A Yamaha MT-07, maybe yes, a Daytona 675R, probably not.

·
Ace Tuner
4,352 Posts

Thank you.
As 3crows points out the latest 600 sport bikes are rockets. The VFR800 is much tamer.

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,445 Posts
You know your skill level better than anyone but it sounds like you might be okay. I went from a Honda Twinstar to Honda Hawk to Harley Electra Glide. Power-wise about the same. Yes the last jump can't get you but respect the power and you'll be fine.
That should have read...can get you...not can't get you. Geez, what my fingers do on their own is scary sometimes. They should know what I want to say and not make bonehead statements like that.:grin:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had a 2009 VFR800 for a couple of years. I did not like the VTEC as it would kick in at about 6700rpm sometimes mid corner along with it weighted over 500 lbs.
If I were you I'd look at what 3crows said MT-07 or maybe an SV650. These bikes offer near 70 hp, a good flat torque curve, are agile and weight close to 100 lbs. less than a VFR800.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.