Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
493 Posts
This may be a silly response, but I keep my bikes in the garage with my snow blower and Sportsman snow plow. It is insulated and I keep an electric milk-parlor heater running to melt the snow off my machines before their next deployment. I figure the bikes like the warmth and companionship. :)

The Mr. Buddy propane is normally stored there in case of electrical grid failure where we need to heat the laundry/2nd bathroom that the woodstove heat doesn't reach. I fired it up for this photo, but that is not its actual role in the homestead.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

· Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
493 Posts
Looks cozy. Would a Mr. Buddy heat a drafty rv? Nice pic Bugler. Youre up!
Its first use was in a rather open shop space, but I wouldn't call it drafty, just not sealed as well as a real home. It worked to heat the area I worked in, but I did have it pointed at my backside while I worked. I think it is worth a try - and makes a nice grid-independent space heater. I didn't have one then, but would not run it in our laundry room without a battery powered carbon monoxide alarm.

As for my turn at stating the challenge, how about going in the opposite direction ... something for the hardy boys ...

Your bike on a trip through the snow.

· Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
493 Posts
We have plenty of snow, I just don't ride on it. I know there are a lot of snow country hardy boys who do. I was looking to see one of them pipe in.

When you guys asked for ocean, lake, beach, sailboat, cityscape, industrial and so on, you didn't hear the Darbarian whining did you? When someone asks for offroad, the onroad guys wait their turn. I don't understand the response here.

· Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
493 Posts
The Big Sky Motorsports counter guy commutes year round in Missoula. I have read of and seen others. They seem like rational people and have the miles on snow and ice to prove it. Jeeze, do I have to put on my big boy pants and suit of armor to do it myself (while my wife isn't watching)?

Yes, the challenge is still:
Your bike on a trip through the snow

• Helpful
Reactions: SemiFast

· Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
493 Posts
Does snow by the side of a dry road count? Maybe next week.
In my opinion one would have to park in the snow on the side of the road to count it... would not be as 'Hardy-Biker' as those who undertake commutes and such on snow covered roads, but it would fit within the definition... enabling us to move on to those sunny beach photos everyone but me seems to easily be able to get.

Current challenge: Your bike on a trip through the snow

· Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
493 Posts
I took my Sportsman (snow plow) a mile down the canyon for refueling (before I chain up for the season).

Wind chill tore at my bare face, though I stayed below 20mph.

I don't count this as an answer to the challenge 1: because it is me and 2: because I count twice as many wheels as I was intending.

The traction was good enough I could have handled a bike in it, but my 325-pound Suzuki is in surgery to become a more comfortable height and my 550-pound BMW would make me nervous in these conditions.

Wheel Tire Snow Vehicle Automotive tire

Your bike on a trip through the snow

I apologize for making the challenge overly challenging. I did not anticipate this correctly.

· Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
493 Posts
Oh no! My challenge timed out!
I am actually "cool with that".
Obviously a poor challenge.

Nose Lip Hand Smile Mouth

I thought .... being November and all ...
So much for my thinking ...

Move on to one that keeps us moving on.

· Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
493 Posts
You upper level guys go ahead and fine tune your rules. Meanwhile I have a real simple work-around. If I am in charge, the new challenge is:
By amazing coincidence, if the previous challenge issuer is in charge, the new challenge is:

Your bike with a Christmas inflatable.

· Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
493 Posts
In case there is any lingering ambiguity in anybody's mind, I agree that Mike met the existing challenge and is on to propose the next one.
Your bike with a Christmas inflatable.

Goodness gracious, it took this thread 369 pages for me to do something outlandish enough to inspire a review of the rules. See, I can serve a useful purpose.

· Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
493 Posts
By the way, this photo just showed up at Thumper Talk forum...
just so's ya'll don't continue to regard me as an absolute idiot.
Nearly absolute is okay, however.

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Bicycle wheel

current challenge:
a picture of your bike with that icon of moving, a U haul truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts