Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how well the motorcycle community would like this design, due to the lack of motorcycle spots currently in our cities.
I believe this design when used on the edge of a handicap spot, will provide a double stacked space for motorcycles. Because of the maneuverability of a motorcycle the inner one should be able to maneuver through the no parking buffer zone, if a second motorcycle parks behind them. I personally do not own a motorcycle yet, due to being in high school, and can't afford it. But wanted to know your thoughts on this concept. I believe that if designed correctly, this type of parking spot can be applied to every parking lot in our cities, finally giving the motorcycle community a fair and safe place to park.

One of the advantages of this, is also as many of you observed when people often abuse the handicapped spot, blocking people who truly need the space for a ramp to access their wheelchair or mobility device, the motorcycle spot should alleviate this problem. The only risk I can see is that it may be more likely a handicapped person may hit your bike, but I believe having a dedicated spot outweighs the cons.

Note: This design, takes up the space of 2 normal parking spots, for the legal handicapped spot minimum, no parking zone minimum, and exceeds motorcycle spot minimum. In order to make this practical, there will be the need for a few variations. This is just a rough start of what I'm thinking could be implemented.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
2,374 Posts
I personally wouldn't want to park my bike beside a handicap vehicle. Non handicap people are aloof enough about other people's property.

You're curious about motorcycle parking, but you don't own a motorcycle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I personally wouldn't want to park my bike beside a handicap vehicle. Non handicap people are aloof enough about other people's property.

You're curious about motorcycle parking, but you don't own a motorcycle?
I will be getting one as soon as I graduate high school. My parents won't allow it for safety concerns, which are valid. The one thing I didn't mention is that handicap spots should be relocated from arguably the best parking spots by the entrance of buildings to the rear of buildings, or in the case of a parking lot to the middle of parking lots. This should remove the incentive for people to abuse the handicap spot. Because it is my personal belief that about 70% of handicapped permits issued are people abusing the system by receiving the permit through a doctor with excuses such as arthritis, or a bad back, yet they themselves do not require the additional space to retrieve a wheelchair or mobility device. When looking at a handicapped spot, it's original purpose is not to be as close as possible to the entrance of a building but, rather to provide adequate space for wheelchair users. Hopefully this should reduce the concern with handicap people who are aloof, because if they are truly handicapped I'd say 80% of the time they would actually be a passenger of the vehicle, and not the driver.

Note: There is no way I can prove it, but I believe that those who would most likely abuse these spots, by getting permits through poor excuses such as arthritis, or back pain, are the ones who would hit a motorcycle without concern, whilst people who have a true disability, would take the necessary time to park correctly, or at least have some level of concern of other peoples property.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I don't know where you live, but I have never had a difficult time finding parking for my bike, whether in the city or rural areas. In the city there is always someone who left plenty of room when parallel parking, enough room for a bike but not enough for a car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know where you live, but I have never had a difficult time finding parking for my bike, whether in the city or rural areas. In the city there is always someone who left plenty of room when parallel parking, enough room for a bike but not enough for a car.
I should mention that it deals with better land usage. It is true that you'll always find parking, but at least here in Orlando, FL, and when traveling, whenever I've gone to any type of parking lot. That 30% to 50% of the parking lot is always empty except on Black Friday, this is due to city regulations requiring overflow parking that must be met no matter what time of year, which frankly if 90% of the year additional parking is unused space, is a waste of money, and the companies have to pay property taxes, for a parking lot often 3-5x larger than the store itself that goes mostly unused. The ability to combine motorcycle spots, to the edge handicap spots, will allow for a more condensed and better utilized parking lots. I know the post itself is a little vague, but I'm trying to ask about one aspect of a larger issue.

Note: This will be better for places like San Francisco, where traffic takes hours for a few short miles. For rural areas I agree it is not a concern yet, but will become a problem 50 years down the road. Current city planners, are pushing for bicycle lanes, & larger sidewalks, which frankly I don't think is necessary, since if motorcycles spots are attached to the edge of handicapped spots, it will guarantee parking in every parking lot across the city, since dedicated motorcycle spots are not commonplace.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I should mention that it deals with better land usage. It is true that you'll always find parking, but at least here in Orlando, FL, and when traveling, whenever I've gone to any type of parking lot. That 30% to 50% of the parking lot is always empty except on Black Friday, this is due to city regulations requiring overflow parking that must be met no matter what time of year, which frankly if 90% of the year additional parking is unused space, is a waste of money, and the companies have to pay property taxes, for a parking lot often 3-5x larger than the store itself that goes mostly unused. The ability to combine motorcycle spots, to the edge handicap spots, will allow for a more condensed and better utilized parking lots. I know the post itself is a little vague, but I'm trying to ask about one aspect of a larger issue.

Note: This will be better for places like San Francisco, where traffic takes hours for a few short miles. For rural areas I agree it is not a concern yet, but will become a problem 50 years down the road. Current city planners, are pushing for bicycle lanes, & larger sidewalks, which frankly I don't think is necessary, since if motorcycles spots are attached to the edge of handicapped spots, it will guarantee parking in every parking lot across the city, since dedicated motorcycle spots are not commonplace.
I appreciate your energy. I think you're missing the point. Dedicated motorcycle spots are not commonplace because they are not needed, with the exception of pubs and restaurants where bikers congregate. I think you should get a bike and see what it's like before continuing on with your design.

As far as parking next to handicapped spots, I wouldn't park any of my bikes there, save maybe for my dual purpose bikes. There's no way I would park my big cruiser next to the spot where my ex-father in law would be parking if he showed up. He's a great example of why people have handicapped plates. He can't see well and he can't move his head well enough to see my bike sitting there. Phuq that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate your energy. I think you're missing the point. Dedicated motorcycle spots are not commonplace because they are not needed, with the exception of pubs and restaurants where bikers congregate. I think you should get a bike and see what it's like before continuing on with your design.

As far as parking next to handicapped spots, I wouldn't park any of my bikes there, save maybe for my dual purpose bikes. There's no way I would park my big cruiser next to the spot where my ex-father in law would be parking if he showed up. He's a great example of why people have handicapped plates. He can't see well and he can't move his head well enough to see my bike sitting there. Phuq that.
I'll keep that in mind, Thank you.

·
Secret Agent
2,374 Posts
They are the area at the end of rows of angled parking, the painted area that squares off the angled parking.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I'm guessing you don't have back pains or arthritis. I have lifetime prescription to the worlds weakest pain meds because of my back(mainly), when my back acts up there ain't no riding, driving, until I get enough meds in me I can move

There's arthritis that requires meds 24hrs a day

My wife has a hanger disabled parking pass to use for taking her mother to the walmart, once in she gets one of them electric carts......thats why walmart is the only store she goes to.....she drives herself to the beauty saloon once a wk

Someday you'll realize why they put the hcp spots up front

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
It depends on where you are. The general rule is: Park your bike anywhere. Some places that includes the side walk / foot path. Some places like Victoria BC, do not have any designated bike spots. There are some local ways around this. Some parkades charge half price for bikes. The cities are the worst for parking. Avoid cities. Park in the tringle areas. A violation in Victoria BC, a thank you at my local shopping center. At the bike gang meetings on Sunday mornings, we park about four bikes to each cage spot. UK

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm guessing you don't have back pains or arthritis. I have lifetime prescription to the worlds weakest pain meds because of my back(mainly), when my back acts up there ain't no riding, driving, until I get enough meds in me I can move

There's arthritis that requires meds 24hrs a day

My wife has a hanger disabled parking pass to use for taking her mother to the walmart, once in she gets one of them electric carts......thats why walmart is the only store she goes to.....she drives herself to the beauty saloon once a wk

Someday you'll realize why they put the hcp spots up front
I used to have those muscular issues severely when I was 11 years old. Just the lightest touch would feel like someone punched me, I literally couldn't be hugged at the time without feeling 6 out of 10 on a scale of pain. Had to do chiropractic care, amongst other things for a while. Both my parents take medication for arthritis, and had a few surgeries over the years. But nothing that ever required, them getting a handicapped sticker, even post surgery as temporary. The main issue is stopping abuse from people who don't need it, because of the relocation of handicap spots it'll only be 6-7 spots down from the front of a building, and ensures the extra space around the vehicle is provided to get a wheelchair or electric cart out of the vehicle, because 100 feet is not going to make or break 10 extra seconds of travel time in a persons day, but not being able to get your wheelchair in and out of your vehicle due to someone elses poor parking job will. If a handicapped person exits their vehicle via a pull out ramp on the passenger side door, and comes back 20 minutes later to a poor parking job, preventing them getting back into their vehicle is the issue I'm trying to address. The motorcycle, unlike a car if parked incorrectly can be moved relatively easily with assistance of someone else, whilst a car parked poorly, will prevent the handicapped person from getting into their vehicle, until the owner of the poorly parked vehicle returns.

Note: It's true, I don't fully understand back pain and arthritis, regardless I will probably be blind by my late thirties, already at -6.5 in both eyes for myopia, I can't see myself in a mirror without glasses, for reference size 12 font text/a book has to be 5 inches away from my face to read it. I still believe this design will be an improvement, when weighing all the pros and cons, I still enjoy your input, so I can further refine this idea to see if it's worth it.

·
Shadow Moderator
1,175 Posts
Whoa, back the truck up!!!

If your idea is that motorcycles parked too close to a ramp equipped vehicle can be easily moved out of the way, you'd better come up with another idea. If I catch somebody trying to move my parked motorcycle there is going to be some trouble.

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts

If your idea is that motorcycles parked too close to a ramp equipped vehicle can be easily moved out of the way, you'd better come up with another idea. If I catch somebody trying to move my parked motorcycle there is going to be some trouble.
Not to mention that few people can easily move my 900# plus Valkyrie; same goes for the big Harleys and other big cruisers.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,327 Posts
I will be getting one as soon as I graduate high school. My parents won't allow it for safety concerns, which are valid. The one thing I didn't mention is that handicap spots should be relocated from arguably the best parking spots by the entrance of buildings to the rear of buildings, or in the case of a parking lot to the middle of parking lots. This should remove the incentive for people to abuse the handicap spot. Because it is my personal belief that about 70% of handicapped permits issued are people abusing the system by receiving the permit through a doctor with excuses such as arthritis, or a bad back, yet they themselves do not require the additional space to retrieve a wheelchair or mobility device. When looking at a handicapped spot, it's original purpose is not to be as close as possible to the entrance of a building but, rather to provide adequate space for wheelchair users. Hopefully this should reduce the concern with handicap people who are aloof, because if they are truly handicapped I'd say 80% of the time they would actually be a passenger of the vehicle, and not the driver.

Note: There is no way I can prove it, but I believe that those who would most likely abuse these spots, by getting permits through poor excuses such as arthritis, or back pain, are the ones who would hit a motorcycle without concern, whilst people who have a true disability, would take the necessary time to park correctly, or at least have some level of concern of other peoples property.
My 82-year-old dad cannot park in the back of a store. He needs the up-front space. Yes, people abuse those. And they give them out far too often. But I know a lot of people who need them. Really need them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,581 Posts

X2

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
My 82-year-old dad cannot park in the back of a store. He needs the up-front space. Yes, people abuse those. And they give them out far too often. But I know a lot of people who need them. Really need them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
My late wife had brain cancer and should have gotten one, but it was a huge PITA to get one here because so many people have abused them...so the people that really need one can't get one. It's BS.

·
Secret Agent
2,374 Posts
Sounds like welfare nation wide

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,955 Posts
Those angled no parking lines are there for a reason and it is not to park a motorcycle.

Reactions: vistavette
1 - 20 of 27 Posts