Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market to purchase motorcycle pants and I'm debating between denim with kevlar or denim with knee protection.

I'm a new rider so I won't be doing anything crazy enough to necessitate serious protection but the fact that I'm new might be enough reason to invest in quality gear all around.

Another point is that I might as well buy nice pants now if I might buy them later on anyway.

Thoughts?

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Where do you live and what do you ride?

Comfort, temperature and distance affect what I choose to wear. Plus there's some peace of mind that comes from wearing protective gear.

In hot weather I wear jeans or REV'IT Airwave Pants. The REV'IT pants are a ballistic weave mesh with hip and knee protectors.

In cold weather I wear leather. Either my heavy old school leather pants without armor.

Or my Dianese pants with armor.

·
Hero's are Remembered, Legends Never Die
307 Posts
I wear a pair of Joe Rocket "Alter Ego" pants. They slip on over my Jeans, have a zippered vent and water proof zip out liner. They have armor and seem to work well even in a crash (Yes I have taken a slide in one pair and they protected me well.)

·
Visionary
3,950 Posts
I've been happier with my Kevlar lined jeans than I ever was with the nylon+ armor bike pants that I also have. I bought the Australian Bikers brand off Amazon, unlike most they are 100% lined with Kevlar. Very comfortable, soft but supposedly tough.. I have no intention of testing that though. They have knee armor but I don't use it, it was a bit uncomfortable so I took it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Before you start, evaluate what you need for wind, rain and so forth. That will narrow down your choices. After that, understand that there is no such thing as serious impact protection on a bike. Do this simple exercise and you will understand. How far can you fall on a bike? The simple answer is from the bike to the ground. Once you hit the ground you will no longer be worried about impact, you will be worried about leaving skin on that road. I do wear armored clothing but I know that all it can really do for me is reduce road rash to9 a minimum. Mesh gear that keeps the armor where it is needed for road rash is just as good as the best of materials at protecting you. You will put your hands down so gloves with palm protection would be good to have. If you fall on your back your knees, butt and back will be on the road and your head and elbows will be too if you don't consciously focus on sliding well. You are not likely to slide far on your chest because you will either go up on your elbows and knees or your hands elbows and knees.
Run through a few crash scenarios in your head and you will understand what needs to be protected. If it is often cool enough to wear lined jeans, those might serve you well. Otherwise I would be looking for pants with armor in the right places.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts