Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I live in New York, but early next year I will be going away to a school for at least 6 months in California. I do not have a motorcycle license or anything, but would like to get one. I cannot get one here because my parents won't allow it, even though it would be a better idea for me to get one here because I know and am more comfortable with the roads here, and a bunch of other reasons, but thats besides the point.
My question is how would I be able to get a motorcycle license when I go to California, but my drivers license is out of New York?
Would I have to change my state of residency or something, cause if so I probably would would reconsider trying to get one. Or is there a way I can take the necessary classes/test in California, but add it onto my NY license, or just have a motorcycle license out of California?
Thanks for any input!

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
I cannot get one here because my parents won't allow it,
I assume this means you are under the age. Some states
  • Must be at least 15 years old;
  • If under 18 years old, must have a signed/notarized Parental Consent Form (step-parents may not sign unless they have legally adopted the minor child);
Is this similar and this your problem? You don't say how old your are. But I would seriously try talking to your parents rather than do something behind their back. Are they paying for the schooling in California, your travel expenses and/or your living expenses while there? Do you really want to do this to them? Talking to them is my suggestion rather than doing something behind their back. That's rather underhanded and childish in my book. Operating a motorcycle requires a level of maturity that maybe they recognize is lacking. Sorry but I'm actually trying to help. Talk to them and convince them you ARE MATURE enough to operate a motorcycle. That you will take motorcycle training classes in your home state. You will regret doing this behind their back I suspect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume this means you are under the age. Some states
  • Must be at least 15 years old;
  • If under 18 years old, must have a signed/notarized Parental Consent Form (step-parents may not sign unless they have legally adopted the minor child);
Is this similar and this your problem? You don't say how old your are. But I would seriously try talking to your parents rather than do something behind their back. Are they paying for the schooling in California, your travel expenses and/or your living expenses while there? Do you really want to do this to them? Talking to them is my suggestion rather than doing something behind their back. That's rather underhanded and childish in my book. Operating a motorcycle requires a level of maturity that maybe they recognize is lacking. Sorry but I'm actually trying to help. Talk to them and convince them you ARE MATURE enough to operate a motorcycle. That you will take motorcycle training classes in your home state. You will regret doing this behind their back I suspect.
Hey, thanks for the response. I am 18, will be turning 19 when im there. Its not any level of maturity that they want me to have to ride one, my 22 year old brother is still at home and they wont allow it. They say "not in my house". And I have tried talking to them about it, and they just deny it and dont open their minds to it, even though if they did allow it here, they would be able to dictate everything: bike size, classes, etc. As for "doing it behind their back", I have said to them multiple times ill get one when I go to CA, and they just say whatever, youre not in my house. Like I said before, I would much rather just get one here, but when ever I would bring anything up about motorcycles they just immediately deny it. And I completely understand what you're saying about regretting doing that behind their back, but they have said when you are out of my house, you can do whatever you want, but when your in my house, no motorcycle. I had to do a lot of convincing for me to buy my dirt bike. Thanks again for the response.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
They say "not in my house".
I totally understand that response. Was once there, myself. So I left and started standing on my own two, so to speak. Sounds like California is your ticket then. Seems simple. Change your residence and start doing your thing. Depending on where you are going, you might find it easier out there. Cali has some great roads to explore. And unlike here, they are mostly paved. Here they change to gravel to dirt to a cow path. Literally. So good luck out there and enjoy the riding.?

Reactions: RonK

·
Registered
2 Posts
Purchasing a motorcycle and having a motorcycle endorsement added to your drivers license are two separate things. To add the endorsement to your NY state drivers license, all you need to do is take the MSF course, pass the test, and bring the certificate to your local DMV. Once you obtain the endorsement, you can buy your motorcycle in CA. You mentioned that your parents won’t let you have a MC while living in their house, but you said nothing about them forbidding you to obtain your license.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I totally understand that response. Was once there, myself. So I left and started standing on my own two, so to speak. Sounds like California is your ticket then. Seems simple. Change your residence and start doing your thing. Depending on where you are going, you might find it easier out there. Cali has some great roads to explore. And unlike here, they are mostly paved. Here they change to gravel to dirt to a cow path. Literally. So good luck out there and enjoy the riding.?
Yea, my question is though, since ill only be there for the minimum of six months, I dont know if changing my residence is a good idea, or worth it. I dont know what the process is or how long it is.

Purchasing a motorcycle and having a motorcycle endorsement added to your drivers license are two separate things. To add the endorsement to your NY state drivers license, all you need to do is take the MSF course, pass the test, and bring the certificate to your local DMV. Once you obtain the endorsement, you can buy your motorcycle in CA. You mentioned that your parents won’t let you have a MC while living in their house, but you said nothing about them forbidding you to obtain your license.
I did think of that, and I looked at the msf course dates and they all didnt start until march, and ill be in California by then, so thats not really and option anymore :(

·
Very Famous Person
10,009 Posts
--
It may be that legally you should get a CA license anyway. Another point, any class credit you take there would be attached to an endorsement on your current CA license. In addition, if you get any insurance on any vehicle, it will most likely need to be at your current address and having a legal CA address would be more convenient.

It may be short sighted now to consider getting a bike, but you realize it means never going back to your parents' house. First, they won't let you. Second, they will believe you betrayed them. Is it worth that until you are permanently on you own?
--

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
--
It may be that legally you should get a CA license anyway. Another point, any class credit you take there would be attached to an endorsement on your current CA license. In addition, if you get any insurance on any vehicle, it will most likely need to be at your current address and having a legal CA address would be more convenient.

It may be short sighted now to consider getting a bike, but you realize it means never going back to your parents' house. First, they won't let you. Second, they will believe you betrayed them. Is it worth that until you are permanently on you own?
--
Thanks for the response. I will have a legal CA address, because ill be getting an apartment so that wouldnt be a problem. As for them believe i have betrayed them, they've said they dont care once im out of the house. Im not totally set on getting one then, just trying to figure how I could do it if i did want to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts