Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, im 17 years old and just finished a MSF course. Im trying to get insurance and live in Texas, but most places i call say that they will not insure me because i am under 18. Does anyone know of any insurence that will insure me? Thank you!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hello, im 17 years old and just finished a MSF course. Im trying to get insurance and live in Texas, but most places i call say that they will not insure me because i am under 18. Does anyone know of any insurence that will insure me? Thank you!
Your problem is, in most if not all states a minor (under 18) cannot legally enter in to a contract. You'll need an adult parent or guardian to co-sign.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We called with my mom and she talked to the insurance companys and told them she was my parent, but they all still say no.

·
Ace Tuner
1,723 Posts
Ask your mom to keep shopping insurance companies till she finds one that will sell her insurance.
It's probably just a matter of $$$$, or something.

S F

·
American Legion Rider
18,531 Posts
She can add you to her insurance plan until your are 18 and can get your own.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You mention that most places wont insure you. Were there some that would, but you just passed because of the price?
You can expect to pay pretty high prices until you turn 25.

·
American Legion Rider
18,531 Posts
You can expect to pay pretty high prices until you turn 25.
And it depends on vehicle just how hight those prices go. They aren't picking on you, it's every kid and some adults if they prove to have a bad driving record. Best to start out on junkers to get some history, then slowly go bigger and better.(y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
648 Posts
For what it's worth, that bike should run cheaper insurance than most. Keep plugging away at it, there should be a high risk carrier that will insure you.

·
Visionary
2,939 Posts
Have you tried going to a local agent instead of directly to the companies? They can probably get you pointed in the right direction and get you a policy. I have Progressive, but never talk to Flo :cool: , we just go to our local agent. Our agents ( just 2 of them in the office, they know us by name if we walk in) are very helpful, we insure has both of our houses, our cars, our bikes, and some of our children insure their cars and bikes with them too. Several different companies but just one guy to call for anything to do with insurance.

·
Registered
367 Posts
With the information this young person has told us, I think we've helped him about all we can. He's a minor right now -- no insurance company in the US will insure him on his own. A minor cannot enter in to an enforceable contract, and an insurance policy is an enforceable contract. Heck, you can't even join the military at 17 without a parent or guardian signing off.
He says his Mom has told them, "I'm his Mom." Okay, but everybody's got a Mom. If she's not willing or able to have him on HER coverage, it's a no-go. And maybe she has no insurance and is not insurable for any one of many reasons, for all we know. Really, the best advice we can give him is -- go talk to an agent and ask him what needs to be done for him to be insured now, and not a year from now ... and then, do what the agent tells him, because the agent WANTS to sell a policy, not to turn someone down.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,453 Posts
I had insurance but it was under my parents account

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had insurance at age 16 for my hotrod '55 Chevy Bel Air -- on my Dad's policy. Paid for the car with proceeds from my job -- and had to keep the job, and beg extra hours, to pay for the insurance!

·
American Legion Rider
18,531 Posts
Yep, that's how I got started. Parents are good for something sometimes.:D :D :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's State by State. Some States will let someone of any age title a vehicle. I had my first truck titled in my name in Maryland when I was 14 and you can still do it today in some States like Texas. You can title a car in some states as soon as you have a drivers license, California for example. In other States like Ohio a minor can title a vehicle in their name if the parent signs some kind of release form. You have to check with the State. In States where minors can title vehicles those minors can also insure those vehicles. Some States, California being one, allow minors to title and insure vehicles but only if they have a drivers license and some states that have that rule allow insurance companies to ban sale of insurance to those minors or allow extremely high rates due to risk. I titled my first street bike at age 15, a 650 Special, I worked and insured it myself at 16 when I got my bike license.

If you are in a State that allows a minor to title a vehicle, if the vehicle is titled to the minor they can still be insured through a parent.

At age 17 you are in the highest risk of the highest risk bracket of 17-25. Every insurance company listed will insure a 17 year old, but being in the 17-25 bracket, yes it is going to cost two to three times what someone above the age of 25 will pay. Upwards of 2 grand a year. Motorcycle size and type are also factors.

Here are value penguins 2020 average rates by state. At 17 years old on a 500 even with a MSF course you can double and in some states triple these annual rates and come up with what it will cost, roughly, for a 17 year old to get motorcycle insurance. According to one (Very well known insurance company on your list) your best bet is to ride the smallest bike possible, insure through a parent and buy the minimum liability allowed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts