Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. Looking into getting my first motorcycle in the next few months (Kawasaki Ninja 650, 2013). In my state insurance is not required. What would you guys recommend doing? Not getting it? Get it? What to include if I do get it? It would be my main ride for getting to school and commuting in my city. I am 23 years old.

I'm taking the motorcycle training course as well.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Are you easily able to pay out of pocket for any damage that may be caused by the motorcycle striking another vehicle?

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
If you buy insurance chances are you'll never need it. Just like carrying tools with you, tire repair stuff, etc.

It's also a sign of taking responsibility for your life and impact (no pun intended) on others.

Decide if you're a kid who's gonna have to turn to Daddy when you crash, or cause a crash, or a man who's gonna make the unpleasant and sometimes expensive choices that define being an adult.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess what my main question is do you think I need to get insurance for damage to my actual bike? I would get bodily injury/medical insurance, but the bikes only like $6k or so. I'm not a speed racer or dangerous driver. I've never had a ticket in my 5 years of driving a car or gotten in a accident. I'm a cautious driver.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I decided to get collision because I dont have enough cash to buy a new bike in case something happened. I would want to get back on the bike tomorrow if something happened.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As most say... you are going to lay it down sometime and it would be nice to have someone else pay to get it fixed if that's the case.

Motorcycle insurance is pretty dang cheap too... blew me away how cheap it was... like $200 a year I think I pay? A no brainer if you ask me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My brother learned the hard way that theft is not necessarily included in default coverage. His Harley was stolen and never recovered. Police kept an eye out for a week or so, but said when bikes go missing suddenly it's usually because someone has seen the value of accessories and just take it to a chop shop to strip for parts then ditch the base after all the mods have been jacked. Because he is in VA, cops said the bike was probably dumped in PA OH, or WV in a ditch somewhere and to just chalk it up as a loss w/ ins.

Then he got the shock of the ins. co. telling him theft on a bike is not default coverage that you have to opt in instead of out. He's basically out ten large as a result.

Insurance? YES!!! and check the $3/month extra for theft coverage.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
At least get liability insurance unless you want to defend yourself against million dollar lawsuits after a wreck. Collisions do happen and liability means the insurance company will step up to defend you against claims from the other party.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Get insurance. Unless youve got some seriously deep pockets, you dont want to have to deal with what could happen if you get into a crash thats youre fault.
If you can afford a 2013 model year bike, you can afford insurance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright guys. I've decided to get insurance. I've been quoted for $377, but that was online I can definitely get it cheaper if I got talk to an agent plus I'll be getting additional discounts. Does this look ok to you guys? I decided not to get anything for collision, but I did opt for theft coverage.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
My Insurance on the bike, covers a variety of things (including "me") like: a hotel if I am stranded more than 100 miles away from home; the Tow; and other stuff.

Do you need Insurance? No brainer!!

-Soupy

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Liability covers the other guy, collision covers your motorcycle in a crash and comprehensive covers your motorcycle in the case of theft or damage from fire or natural disaster.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I always thought Collision was set to cover you incase you make a mistake and crash it will cover your car/bike. And comp was if you hit a deer or something like that. I could possibly be mistaken...All I know is that if you have a lien, you must have collision.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
377 seems awfully high. I pay less than that for two bikes, one with full coverage. The 25,000/50,000 seems low, especially if you own your own home. I have by bikes set the same as my auto 100,000/300,000 because I own a home. If you get into an accident, and they sue you for more than you have for insurance, they can go after your home. Someone tried to sue me for 50,000 for an accident I wasn't even involved in (they wrote down the wrong plate number) at that time I only had 25,000- had I lost that case, I would have had to come up with half that money....

·
American Legion Rider
20,026 Posts
Liability covers the other guy, collision covers your motorcycle in a crash and comprehensive covers your motorcycle in the case of theft or damage from fire or natural disaster.
Oh you're right. I blew that big time.:frown: I knew it sounded somewhat wrong when I typed it but couldn't put my finger on why. Yep, it's liability that covers the other guy and you must have that or they can take you to the cleaners. That's why my wife does that stuff.:D

How about deleting that post Dods so no one gets confused. Bummer!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I hate paying insurance premiums, but it is something I believe I must have. Like many have already said, it is good protection and none of us know what mishap may come our way.

I have heard of people losing everything of value they had because of not being properly insured, don't take the chance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts