Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I have a 2019 Kawasaki w800 cafe
It has started to idle low and smells like gas. When I first start it cold it idles high for 3 seconds then fluctuates abruptly and as it get warm lowers and lowers- it just started doing this after I filled it up with gas- I tried adjusting the idle screw but it didn’t resolve the issue, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many things can be out-of-whack leading to rich fueling. Test and measure following according to steps in service-manual:

• ECT & IAT sensors. Measure at ECU connector to also test wiring in between
  • fuel-pressure in fuel-rail. Might be failed FPR
  • O2-sensor, failed one will indicate full-lean to ECU, which will inject additional petrol to compensate

Since it started with fill-up, you may have gotten bunk tank of petrol. Dump it all out and refill from different station with octane-grade recommended by manufacturer.
Thaks for the reply Danno
I will start checking things, after doing some reading, I was thinking it was the EVAP system because I did spill a bit of fuel when filling it up with a gas can, I put the recommended octane from costco gas.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, outside of the bike left side I filled it with a gas can and the top was a bit loose. The tank was not overfilled though it was a little below recommended level. If it is the EVAP will it need to be replaced?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see, I do want to check the o2 sensor. Maybe get someone to hook up a diagnostic tool to it, even though there are no check engine lights on. Thanks for the information. Have a good Thanksgiving, Danno

1 - 4 of 4 Posts