Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hog, you can set a destination on WAZE and get very detailed info along your route. You can also just drive without setting a destination, but you won't get as much reporting other than what is directly ahead of you.

As for locating you, I think it shows your location to your "friends" within the app. Trondyne may know more info.

I do know lots of parents who use an app called Life360 to keep tabs on their teen drivers. It's fairly good for just locating someone. It also "dings" when their kids arrive home... a handy feature for the nervous types who want to know the ride is over.:biggrin:

·
Subversive
416 Posts
I have one buddy who uses it but it only tells me that he's driving... I don't know if there are other functions other than a reporting system that appears to allow people to be notified when you arrive or your ETA...

I mainly use it to get around traffic and to be aware of "hazards".

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a garmin nuvi 1450lmt. It has a beg enough screen; and I set it to the nighttime setting so that it can be easily seen in the bright daylight. It has lifetime free map updates, and will divert me around crappy traffic automatically.

I "waterproofed" it with clear silicone. It has guided me for years and never let me down.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
I have one of the low end Garmin Nuvi units that does all I need. It would be nice if it had more waypoint capability, but it's not hard to work around.

At first it frustrated me because it always chose interstate highways on the routes it chose but I like secondary highways. Apparently there is a built in learning curve, because now it brings up the secondary highways on it's own and omits the interstate routes. I also found out it 'remembers' previous destinations and keeps them in memory.
You all probably know these things, but I'm still learning!

·
American Legion Rider
22,828 Posts
I have one of the low end Garmin Nuvi units that does all I need. It would be nice if it had more waypoint capability, but it's not hard to work around.

At first it frustrated me because it always chose interstate highways on the routes it chose but I like secondary highways. Apparently there is a built in learning curve, because now it brings up the secondary highways on it's own and omits the interstate routes. I also found out it 'remembers' previous destinations and keeps them in memory.
You all probably know these things, but I'm still learning!
Nope. I'm still learning too. In fact I have yet to use mine for any destination I didn't already know. I'll see if you are right about "learned" destinations soon as I'll be going back to one I first tried it on in a few weeks. On that trip it had me going down roads I'd never ever take as I just ignored the turn by turn and went my own way. That was my fiirst try using it and after that I started looking at the settings it had so made some changes. But it has yet to get me to where I want to go by any way I've gone before.

If I really need to go to someplace I've never been to before, I go back to my phone GPS. That little sucker has never failed to get me to my destination. Except when I lost cell service. Which is the reason I thought a real GPS would be better. So far it hasn't proved to be true though. So I guess if it gets me to a place by some screwball route then it just "learned" that route too!:eek::rolleyes::smiley_mornincoffee

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,660 Posts
Check the settings there should be one that says 'avoid major highways'

·
American Legion Rider
22,828 Posts
Yeah, that's the first thing I checked. There's just a basic difference between and GPS device and a phone GPS app. Figuring out what the app takes as a default and getting that to happen in the device is the key I need to break. I take dirt/gravel roads too which changes everything compared to others who faint at the sight of a dirt road. Someone said these Zumo's "learn". That very well may be what has to happen. If I remember correctly my wife had the same problem with her's but doesn't seem to have it now. So maybe it learned she wasn't a wuss.:eek:

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
I use my phone and pipe it through my Bluetooth headset for the turn by turn directions. I can't see the screen because I keep it in my pocket, but that doesn't bother me too much. The only downside is that I can't keep the phone on my charger, but for around town that's no big deal.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I use my phone and pipe it through my Bluetooth headset for the turn by turn directions. I can't see the screen because I keep it in my pocket, but that doesn't bother me too much. The only downside is that I can't keep the phone on my charger, but for around town that's no big deal.
If your avatar pic is your current bike, I see U have saddlebags..

It's not hard to get a USB adapter wired to your battery, then just send the charge wire to your saddlebag & leave the phone in there, plugged into your bikes power & still navigating you via Bluetooth. Heck, Battery Tender even has a USB adapter with the right connector to get all that set up! :icon_cool:

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
If your avatar pic is your current bike, I see U have saddlebags..

It's not hard to get a USB adapter wired to your battery, then just send the charge wire to your saddlebag & leave the phone in there, plugged into your bikes power & still navigating you via Bluetooth. Heck, Battery Tender even has a USB adapter with the right connector to get all that set up! :icon_cool:
my saddlebags usually have an air line coming out of one....hooked to my portable O2 tank...people really look at me funny when I have that with me and the cannula run up to my face :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I have the TomTom Rider. Unlike the car versions it has no speaker. Instead it transmits a bluetooth signal to my SENA in my helmet. The mount gets wired directly to the switched 12V system on the bike and the GPS just snaps onto it. When I turn on the ignition the GPS boots up and if I need to walk away it snaps off the bike easily and goes into my jacket pocket.
GPS in place

GPS mounting fixture in place

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Garmin Zumo XT is the best option available in the market right now. Connects to your phone and intercom devices via Bluetooth so you can always control the music you are listening to and get voice navigation straight to your intercom unit. There are quite a few other great options available. you can check them here

41 - 52 of 52 Posts