Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
23,144 Posts
Did you look at the link above vito? And is the 220 a motorcycle GPS? The 660 is so they know it will be in full sun. But I've heard okay things about TomTom as well.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
The 220 that I have is a Zumo, made for a motorcycle, but it has a smaller screen, less features, and was somewhat less expensive than others at the time I bought it. I would not recommend it, although it does do the basic functions, especially the "Go Home" button.

·
American Legion Rider
23,144 Posts
Since it's a motorcycle specific GPS it would have to be. But to be honest I haven't seen anything that says it is or is not but haven't looked either.

EDIT: This is what it says for whatever it means.......

Resistant to fuel spills, UV rays and water-rated to IPX7

EDIT: Link to what that rating means

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've started using my phone as a GPS lately since my actual GPS failed (it was several years old).

Pros:

Only one device on the handlebar
Can run apps that tell me traffic reports ahead
Can toggle phone calls on/off so I can choose whether to be left alone
About the same cost as a motorcycle GPS
Can shut off the screen so it's not distracting, but still get audible directions in the earpiece
Easily charges through the USB terminal hooked to my battery

Cons

Might damage my phone
Might forget to turn off the incoming calls
Screen is a little smaller than a GPS

Just my two cents worth.:biggrin:

I like this idea. Having only one device seems like a better choice. Phones these day's have pretty good navigation features. I am with you on this.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Your phone navigation app will only work where you can receive cellular signals, unlike your GPS device which will work as long as you can are outdoors and exposed to the satellites. With the maps stored in the GPS rather than just being received via phone lines you get much better coverage.

·
Visionary
4,409 Posts
I use iphone for everything.

If getting outside of cell coverage and using a phone gps is a problem there is a workaround, the GPS on the phones actually works just fine without the cell connection but the problem is that the built in mapping programs don't store the maps locally and download them as you go. The phone can give you coordinates using gps satellite only but nothing else..unless you download a different app and make sure you have the maps for the area in question saved.

I don't have the problem locally, Verizon coverage is impressive here so I don't have an alternate nav app installed other than a hiking app, but that one DOES work as it claims without data. There are many out there that are capable, do some research if this is what you need.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Your phone navigation app will only work where you can receive cellular signals, unlike your GPS device which will work as long as you can are outdoors and exposed to the satellites. With the maps stored in the GPS rather than just being received via phone lines you get much better coverage.
That's actually not true on newer phones. It is satellite-based, not phone tower-based, just like a true GPS system. You just have to enable certain settings to make it happen. Additionally, maps can be downloaded onto the phone for use even in places where GPS signals are weak.

Other than probably being more rugged, the phone system has a lot more advantages in my view.

Of course, I can understand why some would prefer a true GPS system and I'm not knocking it. Just offering a suggestion for those who want to minimize the number of gadgets. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I wonder how well most smart phones, which cost as much as a high end motorcycle specific GPS device, will hold up to the vibration and movement of being hard mounted to a motorcycle (unlike being cushioned while in your pant's pocket or a saddlebag). But I do understand wanting to avoid having to buy a separate device when your phone can serve reasonably well as your navigation device as well.

One other aspect of having my Zumo for navigation rather than using my Iphone is the volume. If I am wearing my helmet with its Bluetooth enabled communication system, then speaker volume is not relevant. But if I am wearing one of my non-speaker helmets, the Zumo volume lets me hear the directions fairly well because the actual volume is significantly louder than what my phone can produce. But I agree that this alone may not make it worthwhile to spend several hundred dollars on a Garmin or TomTom device.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I am one of those types of people who prefer separate devices for things. For example, even though my iPhone 6 takes good pictures, I prefer to use a camera because I have more features and it takes higher quality pictures then my phone. Although my phone can do many things, I only like to use to make calls, text message, browse the web and email.

In truth I don't like the idea of my phone mounted to my handlebars. If I loose the GPS it's not that big of a deal but if I loose the phone that is a whole different story.

I decided to get the GPS Hog talked about. Ordered it yesterday. Funny how a GW does not have a cigarette lighter installed so I ordered one of those too.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I had an older Garmin GPS mounted on my first bike and used the cigarette plug I installed to power it, the problem I had with that was the plug would vibrate loose once in a while....if I get another, I'm having it wired into the bike with the included wires...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well, I received my Garmin 660LM GPS. I ordered it on Sunday and received it today. That was fast! So fast I did not have my cigarette lighter to power the device yet. However, after deciding how I was going to wire everything up I noticed that in my fusebox I had an accessory hookup so I decided to just install it using that and some wire I had lying around. So I did not even need the cigarette lighter anyway.

Thanks for the reply Hog! I like this GPS a lot. Downloaded my map updates and ready to go for a ride tomorrow and try the GPS out.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Other than probably being more rugged, the phone system has a lot more advantages in my view.

Of course, I can understand why some would prefer a true GPS system and I'm not knocking it. Just offering a suggestion for those who want to minimize the number of gadgets. :biggrin:
I drive for a living at the moment and IMO you'll have a hard time doing better than WAZE, which is phone based and FREE..and has largely made conventional GPS obsolete IMO... I do think you need the network to make it worth your while, but WAZE, in addition to finding the real-time best (fastest) route based on current traffic, learns shortcuts from its users, shows you: road hazards, potholes, accidents, objects on the road, POLICE TRAPS, red-light cameras and a host of other things, like where to find the cheapest and closest gas, food, etc...

I don't drive/ride without it...

In remote areas WAZE may not be as helpful.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I drive for a living at the moment and IMO you'll have a hard time doing better than WAZE, which is phone based and FREE..and has largely made conventional GPS obsolete IMO... I do think you need the network to make it worth your while, but WAZE, in addition to finding the real-time best (fastest) route based on current traffic, learns shortcuts from its users, shows you: road hazards, potholes, accidents, objects on the road, POLICE TRAPS, red-light cameras and a host of other things, like where to find the cheapest and closest gas, food, etc...

I don't drive/ride without it...

In remote areas WAZE may not be as helpful.
When I'm going somewhere I use WAZE. But when I'm going nowhere in particular, the phone GPS works.

I've been experimenting lately with one of my old phones that doesn't have a network connection. Turning on WiFi and using the GPS function, it seems to find its way around in the middle of nowhere so far.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
When I'm going somewhere I use WAZE. But when I'm going nowhere in particular, the phone GPS works.

I've been experimenting lately with one of my old phones that doesn't have a network connection. Turning on WiFi and using the GPS function, it seems to find its way around in the middle of nowhere so far.
Well my phone's GPS is WAZE. The other common option would be to use Google but Google also uses WAZE but doesn't offer the other options like police, pothole, red light camera warnings which I won't drive anywhere more than a couple of miles without. Not sure if Google uses WAZE's real time route changes either. WAZE does it all for me, the only limitation is that in areas not well travelled WAZE gets dumber from lack of data.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well my phone's GPS is WAZE. The other common option would be to use Google but Google also uses WAZE but doesn't offer the other options like police, pothole, red light camera warnings which I won't drive anywhere more than a couple of miles without. Not sure if Google uses WAZE's real time route changes either. WAZE does it all for me, the only limitation is that in areas not well travelled WAZE gets dumber from lack of data.

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but...what is a red light camera warning??

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Sorry to ask a dumb question, but...what is a red light camera warning??
On the WAZE map it shows lots of things.... It shows the regular stuff like roads, but it also shows traffic jams, cops, hazards and also red light cameras.. All as icons... When you approach something of interest, like a cop or pothole or red light cam, it will tell you....

A red light cam is a camera at a red light that will take your picture if you go through the red light and the city will mail you a ticket...

·
American Legion Rider
23,144 Posts
Many towns are using red light cameras now as a means to increase revenue. Many times you can fight them though. Although I've not tried it, some claim that simply claiming it wasn't you but was your car you loaned to a friend works. I got away with one by saying I'm not letting a darn light tell me when to brake on snow and ice. So I do know certain condition will work.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Round these parts the red light cameras take a pic of your plate and another camera takes a pic of the driver. There's no points but the owner has to pay..

WAZE for me is a vital tool... I can't be riding around not knowing where cops and cams are, not to mention traffic.

·
American Legion Rider
23,144 Posts
I don't normally have to worry because I'm within the law. NORMALLY. Speed gets me though. So maybe I should be watching waze. Do you have to plot a course or just turn it on and let it start squawking? I tried it once and can't remember what I did but wasn't impressed. That was a year ago at least, though. I think back then I was looking for a way my wife could see where I was if she couldn't be with me and it failed to tell her I was at my intended location. So I dismissed it.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts