Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a good motorcycle GPS that I can see and hear. I would like one if possible with a headphone jack so I can run it threw my speaker system. I have looked at a few but wanted to hear from members that have bought a motorcycle GPS and if they like what they bought or not.

·
American Legion Rider
22,825 Posts
I just purchased a Garmin 660 but it isn't on my bike yet so can't say just how well it will work. My wife has one on here rig and she likes it. We do go our separate ways so one just won't work. She doesn't seem to have any trouble at all reading the thing even in bright light. But she is 10 years younger than I am though.;)

·
Registered
804 Posts
I've started using my phone as a GPS lately since my actual GPS failed (it was several years old).

Pros:

Only one device on the handlebar
Can run apps that tell me traffic reports ahead
Can toggle phone calls on/off so I can choose whether to be left alone
About the same cost as a motorcycle GPS
Can shut off the screen so it's not distracting, but still get audible directions in the earpiece
Easily charges through the USB terminal hooked to my battery

Cons

Might damage my phone
Might forget to turn off the incoming calls
Screen is a little smaller than a GPS

Just my two cents worth.:biggrin:

·
8,224 Posts
Do yourself a favor and buy a "Motorcycle GPS" as the screen is much, much brighter and can be seen in sunlight. They have other features of course.

They are more expensive but worth it.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have used the Garmin 660 for the last few years. I find it satisfactory. While it does have an earplug jack I never use and therefore seldom hear the audible directions.

·
American Legion Rider
22,825 Posts
I've started using my phone as a GPS lately since my actual GPS failed (it was several years old).

Pros:

Can shut off the screen so it's not distracting, but still get audible directions in the earpiece

Cons

Might damage my phone

Just my two cents worth.:biggrin:
That's interesting. I'm going to a real GPS because my favorite phone GPS app stopped work as of a few IOS updates ago. Almost like Apple only wants THEIR apps to be used. I still think Scout is the best phone app going. I never once got told to go wrong with it. Every single other app gets lost where I live.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just purchased a Garmin 660 but it isn't on my bike yet so can't say just how well it will work. My wife has one on here rig and she likes it. We do go our separate ways so one just won't work. She doesn't seem to have any trouble at all reading the thing even in bright light. But she is 10 years younger than I am though.;)
Hog, is this the one you are talking about? CLICK HERE

Pros:

Cons

Might damage my phone

Just my two cents worth.:big grin:
I can't see the screen good using my phone and I have not been able to find any nav software that I like that does not use up my data.

Do yourself a favor and buy a "Motorcycle GPS" as the screen is much, much brighter and can be seen in sunlight. They have other features of course.

They are more expensive but worth it.

Sam:big grin:
I agree I know they are more expensive but worth it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
640 Posts
I use the Garmin 665. It came with the MC. I believe the only difference between the 660 and 665 is the 665 has XM Radio capabilities. I have the Sena SMH-10 that pairs with my phone and 665 unit. Music, phone, GPS, and connect with my riding partner all makes for a nice ride.

·
American Legion Rider
22,825 Posts
Hog, is this the one you are talking about? CLICK HERE

I can't see the screen good using my phone and I have not been able to find any nav software that I like that does not use up my data.

I agree I know they are more expensive but worth it. :biggrin:
Sure is. The LM after 660 is Lifetime Maps. As you can see the price is about 50%. They are moving on to a newer model. More Bluetooth I believe. But you'll for it.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I have a regular garmin for my bike. The cost of a motorcycle one is crazy for what use i have for one. I have a little visor for it, can't remember where i got it. I have it set on night time mode, and turned the brightness all the way up so i can see it when its sunny and bright

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I use the Garmin Zumo 350LM, it works great in bright sunlight. I tried using my Magellan GPS that I have in my truck, but couldn't see the screen in bright sunlight. I do as Tankhead, I also have the Sena SMH-10 Bluetooth so I connect to my GPS, phone & stereo.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Understandable with most phones. I have one of the largest phones on the market, it's comparable in size to most GPS screens. The brightness isn't an issue either in sunlight.

As for the data, I download my local area from Google maps via WiFi. That way, I don't use any data when I'm riding, but still have the maps available.

That's interesting. I'm going to a real GPS because my favorite phone GPS app stopped work as of a few IOS updates ago. Almost like Apple only wants THEIR apps to be used. I still think Scout is the best phone app going. I never once got told to go wrong with it. Every single other app gets lost where I live.
Thanks for the Scout tip. I'll check it out. Been using a combo of Waze and Google maps. Haven't had a problem so far, but maybe I just haven't ventured far enough off the beaten path. :biggrin:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sure is. The LM after 660 is Lifetime Maps. As you can see the price is about 50%. They are moving on to a newer model. More Bluetooth I believe. But you'll for it.
In truth it has more then I need but does have the headphone jack I am looking for. Never know though, I might use some of the other features like the music player and do away with my iPod. :) I am thinking about going with this one and even though they are coming out with a new model the price is good for all the features.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that's a dang good price for it, if I had the extra money right now I would have one
I agree the price is good and the seller has a pretty good reputation. I have no complaints about the price because I thought I would be paying double that amount for it.

·
American Legion Rider
22,825 Posts
That price is the reason I'm adding one to my handlebars. I've just taken verbal turn by turn instructions from a phone app and bet I'll do the same with this but it might be nice to see what's coming up too. But in traffic I know I won't be looking at it. Unless it turns out to be easy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just picked up that 660LM on Amazon to replace my generic 52LM. Real good deal as has been mentioned.
It's from GPSCity (as is the Ebay $329 one) whom I've done business with before. Good people.
I looked at the 590LM. The Pandora and TPMS compatibility were perfect for me but I couldn't nearly handle the price tag.
Looking forward to the 660. Hope my Glare Stomper fits, I'll probably need it.

·
American Legion Rider
22,825 Posts
You may not need it because the 660 has an anti-glare coating on it.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I've got an older Garmin Zumo, the 220, and I don't think it handles glare any better than the Nuvi models that I have in my cars. I considered one of the bigger and new Garmins but the price is just too high. I am now thinking about the new TomTom Rider 400 which has a good review in Rider magazine this issue, and lists for $499.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts