Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am taking the BRC this weekend and I believe I am buying a used Ninja 250r from a friend.

1. What are some good brands to look for when purchasing a helmet, gloves, etc.?

2. Is it necessary to buy all the gear including jacket, pants, boots? Or can I get away with a helmet and potentially a jacket?

3. Where do I even start to look? Should I go into stores and try things on? Is it cheaper to try things on in stores then order online?

Any advice for a new rider who does not have any gear yet would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
That is a lot to ask in one question.

What is your budget?

I would go DOT rated full face helmet. There is ECE and Snell ratings as well. I use an Icon Alliance helmet which I think it s really good helmet for the price. Others use HJC, Scorpion etc. With a helmet you really need to go to some stores to try them out. What fits my head well might be uncomfortable for you.

As a minimum I would start off with full face helmet, jacket with armour (preferably CE rated), and gloves (I prefer gauntlet/long).

Once that is covered I strongly recommend motorcycle specific boots. SIDI and A* make some really nice ones that do not cost the bank.

Then get some kevlar lined jeans or something with some abrasion resistnce and some armour for your knees and hips.

Revzilla is a great website to read reviews and watch videos. There are some decent reviews on here as well.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Helmet, jacket and gloves. Stick with name brand helmets with the DOT sticker.

-Stay away from used helmets. You really have no idea whats happened to them or how old they are.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The BRC will require that you wear boots that cover the ankles (no canvas high tops), gloves that cover the fingers and hands, long sleeves of some sort (shirt or jacket), sturdy pants without holes, such as denim, eye protection such as sunglasses or prescription glasses, and a helmet that is at least a 3/4.

Many programs provide a helmet for you to use. Check with the program to find out.

Once you start riding on the street, I would recommend a good full-faced helmet, a sturdy pair of boots, an armored motorcycle jacket, and some leather gloves at minimum.

You really need to shop for gear that will fit comfortably, since uncomfortable gear is distracting to a rider. Mesh jackets are great for the summertime heat and a windproof jacket that can be layered under is good for riding if you live where it gets colder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. My budget is probably <$400 for helmet gloves and jacket. I will definitely check out the website for reviews. What are the name brand helmets? Or the name brands in general to look out for (I would not even know where to start)? In regards to the helmet, I want something that isnt to hot in the summer, to cold in the winter, and doesnt fog up easily. I did not want to spend to much on gear but would be willing to splurge just a little bit on the helmet.

Thanks again

·
Registered
18 Posts
A lot of people decide to just wear normal jeans. Jeans will not protect you in an accident, your legs and butt will be shredded! Please don't neglect your legs, get some kevlar jeans!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
A lot of people decide to just wear normal jeans. Jeans will not protect you in an accident, your legs and butt will be shredded! Please don't neglect your legs, get some kevlar jeans!
The OP is taking the course. The idea is to get the gear NEEDED for the course. Dods said it best. Yes, if you keep riding after the course You are right, regular jeans offer little to no protection.
OP, buy good gear, but just go for a helmet for now, you can wear any leather glove for the course and a pair of work boots. If you like riding and want to keep doing it then budget at least $500.00 for gear. I probably have a couple thousand in mine. There is no such thing as a jacket that will be good all year around, same goes for gloves. Helmets, yes, pretty much one for all year. Scorpion makes a good helmet at a decent price. Make sure it fits well and id DOT approved.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I did the course the only thing motorcycle specific was a DOT helmet. People wore work boots, gardening gloves and the like to meet the boot and glove requirements. A full jacket was required; but again not everyone wore a motorcycle specific jacket.

·
Happy Rider
2,183 Posts
As far as riding in general I believe in the ATGATT philosophy, especially for new riders.

All The Gear All The Time!

If I knew the day my mishap was going to happen I would only wear it on that day.

Enjoy, Ride Safe!

The Cycle Gear chain might be an option for you. Much of their gear is reasonably priced when on sale and carries a five year warranty.

Many try stuff on at a local dealer or other store for size and price shop online stores like Motorcycle Superstore. Or talk to the dealer and explain the online price to negotiate a better price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts