Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Honda Shadow Spirit and I recently installed Highway bars on it. But I was also thinking of adding adding frame sliders. Do you recommend using them? Had anyone put frame sliders on a cruiser and what would fit? Are there removable options that slide over the rear foot pegs for example but are removable? I'm new to riding so I want to feel as safe as possible (other then proper gear of course)

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Frame sliders seem to be more popular with the sport bike crowd. Don't know if they would do that much good on passenger pegs. Most of them fold up anyway.

I don't understand your remark that you want to be safe as possible (other then proper gear of course)
Are you for or against proper riding gear?

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
I thought sliders primary function was to keep the bike off critical parts static mode not necessarily function as crash protection. No?

·
Registered
775 Posts
wikipedia says, "frame sliders, frame protectors, fairing protectors, or crash bobbins, are attached to motorcycles with the intention of minimizing damage to the bike's fairings, frame, engine, and other parts, in the event of a crash, or an accidental tip over. " there's more - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_accessories

I think that far more effective are engine guards, aka "crash bar". I wouldn't be without one. These can be had front and rear and provide a strong protective surface that the bike can roll over on, or even slide on, in a mishap. This keeps that weight off your leg, if you don't have time to get clear.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Problem Child, frame sliders offer little to no rider protection, so they are not normally considered a safety feature for the rider or passenger. Sliders may in certain cases, offer some protection to parts of a motorcycle in the event of a minor tip over, or laying the bike down, but may actually cause more damage in a forward crash such as a low side or highside at speed. Different sliders attach at different places on different bikes. Some sliders for example attach to the engine and during certain types of crashes can cause engine case damage which is far more expensive than without the slider would have been caused to the fairings and other parts.

You may want to look into a set of rear highway bars to work in combination with your front bars to keep the shiny parts more protected during a parking lot/garage lay over or even during a minor parking lot/road crash. Most likely during a highway or crash at speed, there are going to be a lot more damage regardless of bars or sliders. I think a far better investment would be some training to help develop skills to assist in avoiding a crash along with how to get separation during a crash. Just some thoughts.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,500 Posts
Very good advice George

Reactions: Eagle Six
1 - 6 of 6 Posts