Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to get into motorcycle flipping to make a little money and because I love working on things. any advice as to what to do and avoid and what types of bikes to start out with??

Thanks, Noah

·
Registered
209 Posts
Perhaps the easiest flipping would be on lightly used beginners' bikes, like Honda Rebels.
Beginners are often advised to start on something like that, then move up later in that first year.
You might have to replace a mirror and a turn signal if it was dropped in a parking lot.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Can't make much money on bike flipping in my opinion, but they are fun and easy to work on. I'd say there is better money in providing mechanic services if you have the space. Might have to get a business license though.

The easy money is to go from non-running to running. Often this is just a carb cleaning. If you have to buy any cosmetic parts, your profit drops and very quickly goes negative, my advice is to buy only complete and cosmetically acceptable bikes if you want to flip them.

If you want to make money fixing and flipping vehicles, I'd suggest forgetting bikes and looking into vintage Airstream trailers.

·
American Legion Rider
21,747 Posts
I think it depends on what you mean by flipping. Because I think you can make money on fully restored vintage bikes. There are a lot of people that would like one but don't have the skills. But if you mean non runner to runner then yeah, I'd stay with the beginner types up to 500 or 650. People are learning quickly that the Chinese junk is just that, JUNK. So they are looking for good running bikes after their adventure with Chinese junk.

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
Boller and Surf side trailers.
Fruit pickers from out of town, that get lonely for their girlfriends at the end of the picking season. 50% or less cash for their bikes. Sell the next spring for 75 to 80% of market value. But you need to know how to make them street legal.
You also need to know about the tax rules. If revenue decides this is a business, you will be taxed as if the $$ was regular income. That bites. Know your state rules. Same with liability and licence issues.

UK

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
236 Posts
So I want to get into motorcycle flipping to make a little money and because I love working on things. any advice as to what to do and avoid and what types of bikes to start out with??

Thanks, Noah
I've heard of a guy or 2 doing okay buying neglected, or slightly wrecked stuff on the cheap,
then cafe or bobbing them out for a good profit.

Besides that, where u gonna find a supply of low hrs bikes that just need to be washed and a new battery put in for a few bucks?

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
236 Posts
Can't make much money on bike flipping in my opinion, but they are fun and easy to work on. I'd say there is better money in providing mechanic services if you have the space. Might have to get a business license though.

The easy money is to go from non-running to running. Often this is just a carb cleaning. If you have to buy any cosmetic parts, your profit drops and very quickly goes negative, my advice is to buy only complete and cosmetically acceptable bikes if you want to flip them.

If you want to make money fixing and flipping vehicles, I'd suggest forgetting bikes and looking into vintage Airstream trailers.
True that.

I'm into the 70s, 80s and early 90s Honda 4s. The naked superbikes if u wish.
Used to see them all over the place for under a grand.
Not any more.
Problem is, they are somewhat complex, and are a handful weight wise.

It would be nice to think there's a market for the lighter 250 to say 650 mid size bikes,
but even those, half the time the wife nixes the deal.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've heard of a guy or 2 doing okay buying neglected, or slightly wrecked stuff on the cheap,
then cafe or bobbing them out for a good profit.
The youngsters all seem to want one or the other, a cafe racer or a bobber. I'm thinking that in a few years we are going to see a LOT of these "custom" bikes going for cheap prices, while any still left in stock condition are going to see noticeable appreciation.

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,210 Posts
I got involved in the flipping scene for a short while. There isn't a whole lot of money to be made in it but it's a neat side hustle. The easiest flip is finding a cheap old bike that doesn't run. Usually I'll look for ones that "ran when parked". Most of the time they'll just need a carb cleaning and a good wash. You'll at minimum make back what you spend.

I got out of the flipping game because motorcycle selling is a major pain. Everyone wants to lowball you and less honest characters may even decide to threaten to harm you. Plus, after you sell a certain amount of vehicles your state may want you to become a dealer. Of course, a lot of flippers get around that by not putting the title in their name. That's frowned upon by the state (they want your money) and a red flag for some buyers, but it does work.

·
On The Road Again!
3,386 Posts
I've heard that the easiest way to flip a bike is to get going really fast and then jam on the front brake.
It'll flip before you know what happened.
(sorry, I couldn't resist!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts