Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Years ago when my (now adult) children were little, I would every year or so get a case of "Suburban envy". My wife and I would go look at and test drive a couple Suburbans, and eventually I would "run the numbers" on payments :surprise: . The payment # would then kill the case for 6-12 months. I had this affliction for 5-6 years. Haven't had it for almost 15 years now!:smile: BUT....

In 2013 I was out of work for 5 weeks (relatively minor injury, but it kept me out of work) and a similar affliction developed - MOTORCYCLE ENVY!!! I spent a lot of time at dealerships and reading ads, etc. I fought it off, it went into remission, but NOW IT'S BACK!!!

I Am 5-6 years from retirement and basically bored. I have also been looking at boats a lot. But I don't want a boat to ride around in - I want to GO PLACES in it (Caribbean, Pacific NW/ Alaska, ETC. That's post retirement). I live in Central NC. Beautiful place; I would/could really enjoy some day trips or weekends on a bike:smile: .

I have a page of notes for my 1st thread here ( in 1st bike). Short version: I am considering a Honda Shadow for 1st bike. I have a lot of questions to help me narrow down the possibilities. Long term ? Possibly an older GOLD WING. My car is a 1996 Chevy; I also have an old minivan. I don't care about new technology (how long was my small block Chevy engine standard equipment ? ).

So is that enough for a 1st post? Thanks for having me and thanks in advance for all the answers!

·
American Legion Rider
25,975 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD, and...

Other members do like to know they are welcoming a real person so thanks
for letting us know a little about yourself.:smile: Normally just a few more
posts(count of 3) and the rest of the site will open to you. This is the sites
spambot control. Unfortunately it is needed today. But you have to make 15
posts before you can post pictures. Right or wrong it's considered a privilege
to be able to post pictures. Unless you use Tapatalk which somehow
gets around that restriction.

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us:grin:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hello... Short version: I am considering a Honda Shadow for 1st bike. I have a lot of questions to help me narrow down the possibilities. Long term ? Possibly an older GOLD WING... So is that enough for a 1st post? Thanks for having me and thanks in advance for all the answers!
Welcome... Sounds like you definitely have the disease... There are about as many ways to get into riding as there are riders on the planet... but the usual modus these days is one of the MSF riders courses (even experienced riders will occasionally take them, to have help unlearning bad habits), and the Honda Shadows have a great reputation... Some advocate for starting off on the dirt (learning to ball up lighter bikes I guess), I'm not of that school, but many are and clearly it is an approach...

I'm probably in minority, but I'm not all that impressed modern technology once you get past the mid 90s when modern machining and metallurgy were common across most major brands... The newest stuff makes riding enjoyable for many, however -- we all have our own road to nirvana... Take the riding course (get your motorcycle license if your jurisdiction requires it -- I'm pretty sure NC does), buy the bike -- see ya on the road... (of courses, given the places you want to see, maybe I'll see you over on the sailing forums -- wanderlust is wanderlust...)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,140 Posts
Welcome to a fantastic forum and I hope you enjoy yourself here.

I like the late model (New preferably) Honda 750 Shadow, since it has stood the test of time and is just about the perfect bike for a new rider and even those with experience but want something simple, reliable, economical and just plain fun, in lieu of 'high performance.'

To me, they are cheaply priced even when new and an absolute bargain used as there are many almost new with touring accessories on them on Craigslist.

Another nice alternative is the 800cc Suzuki Velousia, M50 series.

Be safe!

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Your post was thoughtful and enjoyable to read!

I agree with the others here - take the MSF course. At least then you have a sense of what you don't know, and give you the basic skills and knowledge to keep learning safely.

As for bikes, there is much division on the topic of new versus used for first bikes. My first bike was used, but that was more necessity than desire. We got a new bike for my wife, because we did not want the gremlins and surprises that can attend a used one. Also, we like new technologies such as ABS and LED lights.

From your proposed destinations, I infer that you are looking at sailboats. That's neat! You are going to have a fun retirement!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome... Sounds like you definitely have the disease... but the usual modus these days is one of the MSF riders courses (even experienced riders will occasionally take them, to have help unlearning bad habits), and the Honda Shadows have a great reputation... Some advocate for starting off on the dirt (learning to ball up lighter bikes I guess), I'm not of that school, but many are and clearly it is an approach...

I'm probably in minority, but I'm not all that impressed modern technology once you get past the mid 90s when modern machining and metallurgy were common across most major brands... The newest stuff makes riding enjoyable for many, however -- we all have our own road to nirvana... Take the riding course (get your motorcycle license if your jurisdiction requires it -- I'm pretty sure NC does), buy the bike -- see ya on the road... (of courses, given the places you want to see, maybe I'll see you over on the sailing forums -- wanderlust is wanderlust...)
I am planning on the MSC (possibly with adult son- someone else can teach him about clutches and shifting:wink2: ! Boy that will give his mother the willies:surprise: !) RE: starting off on dirt- did that when I was young and stupid ... but I am not YOUNG anymore... ( STUPID?!?! Weeeellllll……?!?!?). minor injury = no work =NO PAY!!! I will be slow and easy going in to this. Suburban envy was severe acute and short-lived.... this has been more like an itch that needs scratched...

Had a wonderful weekend last year looking at boats! Wife even suggested buying one! Fortunately it sold before we could be serious. Storing motorcycle is cheap and easy. NOT SO for sailboats.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I like the late model (New preferably) Honda 750 Shadow, since it has stood the test of time and is just about the perfect bike for a new rider and even those with experience but want something simple, reliable, economical and just plain fun, in lieu of 'high performance.'

To me, they are cheaply priced even when new and an absolute bargain used as there are many almost new with touring accessories on them on Craigslist.

Be safe!

Major part of "leaning toward Shadow is the fact there are lots already equipped (as you said "many almost new with touring accessories on them on Craigslist"). I am not a "tinkerer". My enjoyment will be riding, not putzing around adding and changing...

I think there are LOTS of good model bikes. I want a mainstream one that LOTS of people have - better knowledge pool when I come here asking questions!:crying:

Thank you for the post !

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum! Your post was thoughtful and enjoyable to read!

I agree with the others here - take the MSF course. At least then you have a sense of what you don't know, and give you the basic skills and knowledge to keep learning safely.

As for bikes, there is much division on the topic of new versus used for first bikes. My first bike was used, but that was more necessity than desire. We got a new bike for my wife, because we did not want the gremlins and surprises that can attend a used one. Also, we like new technologies such as ABS and LED lights.

From your proposed destinations, I infer that you are looking at sailboats. That's neat! You are going to have a fun retirement!
40 years of cars, 3 have been new. Each was because of the right deal (brother in the business!). I believe in getting tested proven technology that lasts...I roll eyes at folks with brand new model cars.

First/foremost on my list of Qs for "1st BIKE" thread is re: new enough for fuel injection? FI definitely newer and better than carbs...BUT...when it finally goes... does that mean scrap the bike ? I mean, carb's are not hard to get worked on/cleaned/rebuilt/ replaced....

Last summer we looked at sailboats only. Wife ("ADMIRAL" on sailing forums! That is a LOT nicer than "bitch"!!!) is ok with idea of boats, but NOT SAILS! ( Though, as mentioned above post, she liked one enough to suggest we buy it!!). So big Q now for boat is biggest trailerable boat (28 ft long/8.5' wide without permits) or bigger one and pay dock/mooring). Bigger is MUCH more liveable but also MUCH MUCH more commitment time AND MONEY. I could do it; not sure ADMIRAL would be happy.

Good news for boat AND MOTORCYCLE. I am not pressed for time. GOOD FAST CHEAP- PICK ANY TWO.

FAST is getting dropped- don't expect pictures next week of bike. But at same time....I have $$; I have narrowed down pretty well. If I see right deal I can and will buy ( wife will get over it... eventually:plain:)

Thanks for the post!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,515 Posts
Been retired over six years. I bought 3 bikes in that time, still have two. Bought a boat, no longer have the boat. Boat depending on the engine(s) will run you 30-100+ in fuel cost cruising per hour. My boat was 20' inboard cuddy cabin and burned 9 gallons an hour cruising. Keeping a boat at a marine is expensive. Around here 1200 a year on the trailer, 1800 in and out service and 2400+ at a pier. That is a year, every year boats are expensive. Sailboats don't use much fuel but it takes forever to get anywhere at 4-6 miles an hour.

Bikes are a lot cheaper!

Reactions: ketchboy and Porky

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I had a 750 Honda Shadow a few years back. It was a 2001 or '02 ACE with chain drive and carburetors. Never had to do anything more than routine maintanence. It wasn't a "touring" bike, but I did anyway. Only time I was a bit dis-satisfied with it was in Colorado. Speed limit was 65 on a state highway, at a bit of elevation, with the throttle wide open, all I could get was 55 MPH.

But that little bit of dis-satisfaction was short lived. As soon as I got out of the mountains, the performance returned. If it had been fuel injected I doubt I would have had any problem in the mountains at all. It may have been the altitude or it may have been my guardian angel saying "That's enough!" :)

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Welcome from Washington State!

I had a 90's Shadow, and I enjoyed everything but the vibration at highway speeds. Feet got a bit tingly. I went to a low-mileage, vintage Goldwing and loved it. Very inexpensive purchase, smooth as silk at highway speeds, and a motor that will rival or exceed automobile motor longevity. :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yes, boats are expensive. Sailboats are overall cheaper than the power ones, but we still would not want to own one. We are resigned merely to rent them for a couple of weeks, from time to time. Probably won't do that, either, for the next few years, as we just bought a house.

One time we were out for a week on a 40 foot sailboat and, when we returned, spent exactly $20 to refill the gas. Keep in mind we had run the engine at least a couple of hours a day to keep the batteries charged. The diesels in cruising sailboats don't use much fuel (or go fast). I asked the dock kid how much fuel a nearby deep sea fishing boat would take. I pointed at the boat. Kid said a half day would run $3,500 in gas.

Personally we find sailing to be more fun that power boating, except that I miss water skiing. Great workout and what a hoot!

Motorcycles are more accessible day to day. Affordable and fun and always right there in the garage. No need to board the cats!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Personally we find sailing to be more fun that power boating, except that I miss water skiing...

Yep, that’s the dilemma -- for the most part, none of us needs a bike, boat of any sort, jetski or an airplane… If “getting there” and carrying the mostest is the criteria, then the ubiquitous minivan probably rules the roost, and if you need to go any distance, public transportation and the flying cattle cars are more financially and time efficient – maddening though they may be. But, if recreation is the goal, everything changes – then get what you want, understand the costs, swallow hard and write the check… then enjoy! Regardless of whether fast, slow, high-tech or low, or, new or antique, in most cases the bike, boat or plane is mostly about the trip, not the just getting to some destination – RVs may be a special case (but then they’ve never done much for me…).

If you have the wherewithall, get one of each... :smile_big:

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
Hello!

Years ago when my (now adult) children were little, I would every year or so get a case of "Suburban envy". My wife and I would go look at and test drive a couple Suburbans, and eventually I would "run the numbers" on payments :surprise: . The payment # would then kill the case for 6-12 months. I had this affliction for 5-6 years. Haven't had it for almost 15 years now!:smile: BUT....

In 2013 I was out of work for 5 weeks (relatively minor injury, but it kept me out of work) and a similar affliction developed - MOTORCYCLE ENVY!!! I spent a lot of time at dealerships and reading ads, etc. I fought it off, it went into remission, but NOW IT'S BACK!!!

I Am 5-6 years from retirement and basically bored. I have also been looking at boats a lot. But I don't want a boat to ride around in - I want to GO PLACES in it (Caribbean, Pacific NW/ Alaska, ETC. That's post retirement). I live in Central NC. Beautiful place; I would/could really enjoy some day trips or weekends on a bike:smile: .

I have a page of notes for my 1st thread here ( in 1st bike). Short version: I am considering a Honda Shadow for 1st bike. I have a lot of questions to help me narrow down the possibilities. Long term ? Possibly an older GOLD WING. My car is a 1996 Chevy; I also have an old minivan. I don't care about new technology (how long was my small block Chevy engine standard equipment ? ).

So is that enough for a 1st post? Thanks for having me and thanks in advance for all the answers!

My first bike was a Honda Shadow, if you don’t count the minibike when I was 16. Honda is a very reliable and dependable product, and a great first bike.

Before you jump on something as big and heavy as a goldwing, work your way up. It can be a real shocker and it falls over really easy in tight corners!!

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Been retired over six years. I bought 3 bikes in that time, still have two. Bought a boat, no longer have the boat. Boat depending on the engine(s) will run you 30-100+ in fuel cost cruising per hour. My boat was 20' inboard cuddy cabin and burned 9 gallons an hour cruising. Keeping a boat at a marine is expensive. Around here 1200 a year on the trailer, 1800 in and out service and 2400+ at a pier. That is a year, every year boats are expensive. Sailboats don't use much fuel but it takes forever to get anywhere at 4-6 miles an hour.

Bikes are a lot cheaper!
Yes, boats are expensive. Sailboats are overall cheaper than the power ones, but we still would not want to own one. We are resigned merely to rent them for a couple of weeks, from time to time. Probably won't do that, either, for the next few years, as we just bought a house.

One time we were out for a week on a 40 foot sailboat and, when we returned, spent exactly $20 to refill the gas. Keep in mind we had run the engine at least a couple of hours a day to keep the batteries charged. The diesels in cruising sailboats don't use much fuel (or go fast). I asked the dock kid how much fuel a nearby deep sea fishing boat would take. I pointed at the boat. Kid said a half day would run $3,500 in gas.

Personally we find sailing to be more fun that power boating, except that I miss water skiing. Great workout and what a hoot!

Motorcycles are more accessible day to day. Affordable and fun and always right there in the garage. No need to board the cats!
I have a pile of "BOAT BOOKS" almost 2 feet high. I have read about 2/3 of them so far. If y'all need an interesting but different book I suggest VOYAGING UNDER POWER by Captain Robert Beebe ( 4th edition revised by Denis Umstot 2013 has lots of recent actual data). Captain Beebe was navigator (for aircraft Carrier IIRC!!) in WW2. He pretty much pioneered the concept of an ocean-crossing motor-powered boat (He coined the term "Passagemaker"). He designed full displacement hulls (like sailboats) to go slowly THROUGH the water instead of planning OVER the water. quite fuel efficient (Like sailboat mentioned above). Please don't let my poor explanation (from memory) influence you - read the book!

I assure you I have neither desire OR MEANS to spend hundreds of $$/day on fuel. I read an interesting blog about 3 Ranger tugs (25 and 27 feet) that cruised the inland passage to Alaska ( my wifes dream trip). 1 boat averaged 1 MPG :surprise: . But I read of full displacement ( or even semi-displacement running at "hull speed" THROUGH the water) 3 times the size doing better...But w/full displacement ( non- planning hull) you'd best stay on top of the weather -you cannot "run for shelter".

Boat will either be trailerable or delayed until retirement. CRITTER- you know you could EASILY double the prices you quoted for docking. I hope/plan to be traveling, not coming back. Wife wants inland passage/Alaska. I would like GREAT LAKES/ St LAWRENCE SEAWAY... we will see...

Enough about boats- and thanks for the input on motorcycles too !!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just re-read the post I just made. CAN I TELL A JOKE HERE?!?!?

A man was walking down the street when a mugger jumped out with a knife and said " GIVE ME YOUR MONEY!!!"

The man took a martial arts stance and said " before you do anything I warn you! I know KARATE, KUNG FU and 3 OTHER CHINESE WORDS!!!"

I have hardly been on a bike or in a boat for too many years. But I read and retain information pretty well. feel free to ask me for source ifn I say something...

THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a pile of "BOAT BOOKS" almost 2 feet high. I have read about 2/3 of them so far. If y'all need an interesting but different book I suggest VOYAGING UNDER POWER by Captain Robert Beebe ( 4th edition revised by Denis Umstot 2013 has lots of recent actual data). Captain Beebe was navigator (for aircraft Carrier IIRC!!) in WW2. He pretty much pioneered the concept of an ocean-crossing motor-powered boat (He coined the term "Passagemaker"). He designed full displacement hulls (like sailboats) to go slowly THROUGH the water instead of planning OVER the water. quite fuel efficient (Like sailboat mentioned above). Please don't let my poor explanation (from memory) influence you - read the book!
Wow, I have Beebe's 1st edition (and bought it new decades ago). I hang out with a bunch of sailors (civilian) but think you are the first person I've run in to that has read him...

-- Larry

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Be safe!

Hello to all!

I haven't logged in for couple weeks, but HAVE BEEN reading here. I have also been to dealers and talked to several friends that ride. My views/thoughts have changed slightly. 1st and foremost, I will not buy anything with a carburetor. I Just don't want/need the potential problems when it is so easy to avoid it.

PORKY- you were 1st to mention the Suzuki. But LOTS of others did, and almost universally said good things! I did a lot of reading and saw couple at dealership. Right now I would say it is top contender. FI since remodel in 2005, there are lots of used bikes, and the bikes are well equipped. Floorboards on most, and also can get the C50T that has windshield and sissy bar standard. prices similar or slightly less than Shadow.

I will take MSF course this weekend. Wife not happy :sad:. She was thinking/ hoping I was jesting about this. I suggested son sign up also- WHOA!!!!! that didn't go well!

My best friend (40+ years) is trying the "tail of the dragon" and lots of other roads this week (on his HD). He had lots of good info for me. I have also read about and seen some Yamaha Ventures. Right now I like them a little more than Gold Wing for potential ( GW just a LOT of plastic). I think potential to get a better deal on Venture also because of thinner market. But obviously that is down the road.

2 more random thoughts to finish. Re: boat topic above - this past month I read the book THE PERFECT STORM. Very good book! It was (obviously) WAY more detail than movie, but very well written and quite readable. As mentioned, I have read a lot of "boat books". This was BEST for explaining how very capable boats AND BOATERS can get lost to storms. SCARY stuff! It came from different angle from boating books.

LAST THOUGHT- I have had a great time this week (vacation) sitting on my butt and drinking coffee and watching the TOUR DE FRANCE on TV. As I type this they just stopped stage 19 BECAUSE OF A HAILSTORM!! :surprise::surprise: Ground is white! This is going to be quite controversial. All will agree it needed stopped. But where they drew the line will determine who wins the entire 21 day tour I think.

SOooooooo…… heres my inspiration ! Lets get on touring bikes (with BIG ENGINES AND ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES!!:grin:) and ride the TDF route!! Goodness have they had some BEAUTIFUL SCENERY! that might even get my wife interested in getting on the back!

Thanks to all!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,515 Posts
I have a Tour Deluxe which is the lighter version of the Venture and it still weighs in at 750 +/- dry. Venture has a full fairing, 7 gallon tank, and a tail case. I believe it is over 800 dry. They are great riding bikes, but you can drag hardware on roads like the dragon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts