Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lived in my townhouse for over 3 years. Obviously I signed off on a mountain of paperwork that I barely recall. About 2 weeks ago I get a letter in the mailbox that motorcycles are not allowed even if kept in your garage. They included a copy of my signed agreement that said I won’t keep a motorcycle, truck, rv, pickup trailer or boat on my premises. I found a nearby drive in storage unit at cubesmart and have started keeping the bike there spending almost 100 a month.

The other day I stayed at my girlfriend’s condo for the weekend and today I found a note taped to my motorcycle saying it’s my final warning and she will be fined if I keep my motorcycle in their “Guest” parking spot. They never have had a problem with my 10 times louder Corvette z06 which I bring there all the time. I almost feel like these people have been watching too many episodes of sons of anarchy and associate motorcycles automatically with criminals or something along those lines. My bike isn’t loud, very environmentally friendly because of the great fuel economy and I never do anything disrespectful like wheelies, burnouts, etc. Why is my motorcycle being discriminated against and what can I do to fight back?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Its just fear.
Afraid you might be stuck with the contract agreements you signed, but it might be worth a visit with a private attorney just to see if you have a leg to stand on.

As for the note on your bike, I wonder how much time it took the pencil necked geek to build up his courage to leave a note on your bike? If there are no signs posted in the area preventing motorcycles, he can put his note where the sun don't shine.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,937 Posts
I think that a lot of anti-motorcycle sentiment is a reflection of those people that deeply wanted the thrill of riding a motorcycle but were too frightened to even try. Whenever they see someone on a bike it re-awakens both their secret desire and their fear and they become resentful. It has also been my experience that homeowner's associations, or condo associations bring out the worst in people. The ones that seek and attain positions on the Board are often the people you most wish would not have any authority over anything. They often seem to be people that have never amounted to much in their earlier life, and see being on the condo or HOA board as a final chance for success and power. Once on the board they look for things that can be forced onto the membership as displays of their new found authority. What better way for them to show their power than to make life difficult for someone that, unlike themselves, has the nerve skill and commitment to ride a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
If you signed a document that said you could not, and would not, keep a bike on the property, then it is pretty clear. You can not keep a bike on the property. You could raise the issue at an AGM, if they have one, and ask to have the rule changed.

It would seem to me, that both you and your GF need to own property, that allows motorcycles. As to the reason they do not want bikes, who knows. Just move on, is about all you can do.

I have quite a few bikes on my property on my Island. On the mainland my bike is parked in the garage. If I drive my van cage, I park it in a visitors spot with a note, or on the street. Shirley's place is part of a condo complex.

UK

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
669 Posts
And.....that's why I live too far out for anyone to visit or call or have an opinion on what I should and shouldn't do. My land, stay off my land, and don't block my gate..

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
The contract you signed probably was drawn up by lawyers, with an eye towards challenges, so your only recourse there might be to tell them to take their townhouse and shove it.

It's been a while back now, but it seems I recall reading about a national organization that stood up for "biker's right's", I think that was how they phrased it.

Whether it was the AMA or not, I can't remember, but it shouldn't be too hard to go on-line and check it out. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
What gets me is how they can get their panties in a wad over some ignorant HOA rule, and then turn right around and violate federal laws hiring illegal labor to work on their common grounds. Hey federal laws are optional but all bow to the almighty HOA rule book.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found it. Call 202-220-1390 or go to [email protected]

Its the political action arm of the AMA.

I don't know if all the information is current but.....try it.

You might have to join the AMA
Thank you so much. I will email them right now. My loud as hell corvette is acceptable but my environmentally friendly, good gas mileage giving, quiet as a mouse bike is not. I wonder if it would hold up if I say my motorcycle IDENTIFIES itself as a car and it needs to be treated as a car and given the same rights since its 2019.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
That's a pretty strict HOA. I mean a motorcycle for some is either their only transportation, or their primary transportation vehicle. My HOA also prevents boats, commercial trucks, RV's & trailers, but does not exclude motorcycles or pickup trucks. You can even have a boat here as long as its out of sight in the garage. I got around the boat deal with a 6.5' high privacy fence in the back yard. I just brought it forward on one side and installed a double privacy fence gate that I could open and back the boat in on the side of the house and close the gate. If they wont reason with you as a legal primary mode of transportation, I'd definitely see an attorney. Consultations usually are not very much, and many attorneys do free first consultations.

·
American Legion Rider
25,916 Posts
What gets me is how they can get their panties in a wad over some ignorant HOA rule, and then turn right around and violate federal laws hiring illegal labor to work on their common grounds. Hey federal laws are optional but all bow to the almighty HOA rule book.
I find it curios that there's a thread right now going on about this sites rules and how people are complaining about them as well. You see the rules and agree to them and then complain about them. Strange world we are living in now where rules are looked down on. Including the Constitution. Chaos reigns now I guess.

It would be funny if it wasn't sad. I am sorry that someone might have to move or have to find a place to park a motorcycle. That's truly sad as well. Especially given the length of time those rules were not enforced. But really, rules and laws, do you only want them when it pleases you or throw them all away? That's really what it all boils down to. Without them, you will have chaos.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I need to take another look at the rules. I suppose like anyone something can get the blood to boiling and things said (or written) that would normally be addressed in more civil manner.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I wonder if this "No Motorcycles" rule is enforced on scooters, dirt bikes, street bikes, sport bikes, Harleys and Goldwings, equally or selectively or only upon a member complaint?

How about a childs toy motorcycle with a 12 volt battery and electric motor? Electric motorcycles/scooters?

Just seems to me that banning any commonly owned, legally possessed, legally insured, legally operated motor vehicle upon streets (legally patrolled by law enforcement officers?) might be opening a can of worms best left alone by any property or home owners association.

But then I sold out and left the POA I was in.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I hate HOAs. My family once lived in one that limited the number of vehicles you could park in your driveway. You could have a drive that's a quarter mile long but too bad, only two vehicles. And if those vehicles had even a speck of rust (I live in the rust belt) you're getting fined and threatened to be towed.

There's not much a lawyer can do here if your state doesn't have protections against this. If you sign the dotted line you agreed to the rules, even if they're stupid. You may have a foot to stand on though so it'll be beneficial to call a lawyer specializing in housing law.

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
On The Road Again!
4,192 Posts
A friend of mine moved to a "senior community".
No motorcycles allowed, not even to visit a resident. He had to rent a storage unit for his Harley. Last I heard, he hadn't ridden the bike in over a year because it was so inconvenient to go get it. At one point he asked why I hadn't come to visit him. I told him I wasn't going to leave my bike "somewhere" and walk in to see him.

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
Forgot to mention earlier. It is common on my Island to have a dinghy or some kind of boat on your front lawn. I have two dinkies, a sailboat, a flag pole, a stump, a red rock on the right, and a green rock on the left of the drive. One neighbour has complained about the general appearance of the neighbourhood. I thanked her for her valuable opinion.

UK

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Best thing about this thread is if anyone is considering moving in to an apartment or townhouse or any place with rules and regulations, ask this question before signing on the dotted line.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts