Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I ride a 1987 Yamaha Radian YX600. I've ridden it about 2000 miles since buying it (it has 9000 total).

A weird problem has popped up recently. When I coast to a stop w/ the clutch pulled and downshifting, the rpms will drop below the idle point. If i don't give it some gas, it'll go all the way to 0 rpms and die. If this happens, its starts up again, no problem. This started happening occasionally about 200 miles ago, but now it happens pretty much every time.

I thought about increasing the idle speed, but it idles fine in neutral and in first gear w/ the clutch pulled in. It only dies when I'm coasting to a stop.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the same problem with my Gixxer 600 when I reached the 10,000 miles. Adjusting the idle didn't do a thing but cleaning the air filter and replacing the spark plugs solved the problem. I have now 18,000 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same problem with my Gixxer 600 when I reached the 10,000 miles. Adjusting the idle didn't do a thing but cleaning the air filter and replacing the spark plugs solved the problem. I have now 18,000 miles on the bike.
Thanks, I'll look in to it, but why would a dirty air filter cause the bike the stall only when coasting w/ the clutch in? Seems to me that it would prevent it from idling in first w/ the clutch in as well, which is not the case.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am not a professional mechanic but the fact is that a dirty (clogged) air filter will restrain the flow of air to the system causing it to run too rich (fuel consumption goes up) and the spark plugs start failing. Why it is more evident when coasting with the clutch in? Sorry, no idea.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
It does so because the engine speed (and thus the air flow) has dropped dramatically and can't replenish itself quickly enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You may also want to check your fuel filter. A tank of bad gas can cause this too (until you burn that tank up.) My Magna did that for a few days, then it went away (bad gas.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
04 suz gs500f

Hey guys,

Bought my first bike yesterday woo hoo! Sounded and ran good on the test ride, new tires, never dropped, not a single scratch, it's gorgeous. On the way home I realized something wasn't right. So the problem was it was idling too high and when I revved it or was at a higher speed it either got stuck in that high rpm range or took way too long too come back to idle. I've been messing with the throttle stop switch and it's fixed the high idle problem, but now it dies when I'm coasting to and downshifting from 3rd gear or higher. I can't get the throttle stop stop switch in the right spot between it dieing like that and it idling too high. Help!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
when your on the throttle you are using the high speed jet. at idle or coasting(closed throttle) only the idle jet is feeding. may be as simple as a clogged idle jet. run some seafoam in the tank, about half can and see if the performance improves. it is the most simple thing to try. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Rude hi-jack there ^

To the OP; Not enough miles for a bike that old. It hasn't been run enough and a sitting bike gets sick. I highly recommend a good, old-fashioned tune-up' oil change, new air filter, plugs, and re-torque the heads before doing the valves. Then run a half can of Seafoam in the tank.

Kelly, that sounds to me like a make/model specific question. I would recommend checking in at the proper forum where experts would recognize your problem more easily.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=e5b130cc10bf5fa1

·
Registered
4 Posts
dying motorcycle

I have a 82 honda magna v45 that is doing the same thing. the idle is fine when i start the bike but when i am stopping it dies. i just cleaned the carbs and i am not sure how to make it work right. i tried adjusting the idle but it hasn't fixed the problem.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i dont really know mych aboutcarbs but my 80 hd was doing the same i bumped the low idle screw up just a little and fixed my problems... not sure if your carb would have the same adjustment though

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed a new air filter for the bike. Didn't fix the problem. I've just changed my riding style to always give the bike a little throttle until i'm at a dead stop, then let the throttle out slowly and the bike will idle fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Really old thread, but maybe someone will find this useful someday. This was happening to me, and was caused by a perforated diaphragm in the carb's air cut-off valve, which I think is used to prevent too much air going in during quick deceleration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, new to the forum, sounds like could be a lot of different things. I once had a bike doing pretty much the same thing and it was a choke issue, running a rich mixture. choke valve replacement fixed it, but probably needs someone with experience of this make and model to identify it quickly.

·
Registered
2010 YAMAHA FZ1
3 Posts
This site requests you introduce yourself as one of your first few posts so people know you are serious and not a hit and run type poster. Introductions found here ... https://www.motorcycleforum.com/forums/new-member-introduction.305/
Anyone knows how to increase the idle rpm on Yamaha fz1 2010? i didnt find any link on internet and it doesnt say how to do it in the manuel

·
Registered
554 Posts
Anyone knows how to increase the idle rpm on Yamaha fz1 2010? i didnt find any link on internet and it doesnt say how to do it in the manuel
There are 2 air screws that appear to be in the middle of the throttle bodies. I would not recommend making any adjustments here unless you know what you are doing and have the proper equipment. Getting your cylinders out of sync will cause all sorts of troubles. There will also be an idle air control valve of some sort to control idle speed. If this is clogged or not working then you will get a very low idle and not be able to maintain idle if really bad. Typically this will be an air passage around the throttle plate with a control valve of some sort. By examining a diagram of your throttle assembly I was unable to see something such as that but there is a motor control of some sort on the right side that I would suspect as the idle control. If in doubt seek professional help or a Clymer manual.

·
Registered
2010 YAMAHA FZ1
3 Posts
Thank you for the explanation in details. I actually tried increase the idle rpm and it seems like the problem is now fixed. Its not working in a more aggressive way and the needle isnt going under 1k rpm at stop lights.. If anything weird happens, I will research again or seek professional help.. Thanks again for your words. I appreciate it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts